Windows 10: Cannot start Software Protection Service

Discus and support Cannot start Software Protection Service in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OliviaSmith_513, May 12, 2022.

1. Cannot start Software Protection Service

have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this

:)

OliviaSmith_513, May 12, 2022
  2. jonjo Win User

Software Protection Service Wont Start

The software protection service (sppsvc) will not start.
    When I try to run this command: "net start sppsvc" in an administrator command prompt I get this error:
    "The Software Protection service could not be started. A system error has occurred. System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."

I have tried taking ownership of sppsvc.exe in System32 and setting this registry entry's permissions to full access "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform".
    Windows version 1909

jonjo, May 12, 2022
  3. Software protection service cannot start

Hi. My windows 10 is facing an issue that the software protection service (sppsvc) cannot start (or just show "starting"and then "stoped").

when I check the log, there is an Event ID 7000 and it states "the software protection service failed to start due to following error: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

i also tried to start it mannually, and got error 1053.

Anyone can help me, please

thank you in advance.

TerrenceFung, May 12, 2022
  4. Cannot start Software Protection Service

Microsoft software protection platform (sppsvc) any other fixes for this?

Hello WulfBreaker,

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service is a technology that is aimed at helping prevent piracy and protect customers from software tampering while making licensing easier to manage.
    Try to disable the SvcRestartTask command. Here's how:

1. Click the Start menu button, type scheduled task and open Scheduled tasks.
    2. Enter Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft,
      Windows, and finally SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
    3. Right-click on SvcRestartTask, and choose Disable.
    4. In case there are two or more such processes, delete the duplicates.

If the issue still persists, some users suggested using a third-party software to disable the said service. You can check the suggested steps from
    Ellio_tt in this thread.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, May 12, 2022
Thema:

Cannot start Software Protection Service

1. Cannot start Software Protection Service - Similar Threads - Cannot start Software

2. Cannot start Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start Software Protection Service: have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this...
  3. Cannot start Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start Software Protection Service: have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this...
  4. Software Protection Service cannot start due to a registry issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Software Protection Service cannot start due to a registry issue: I had to do a System Restore recently. Everything went fine except that I was soon greeted by the "Activate Windows" overlay. Tried to activate Windows, error code 0xc0000022. Turns out the System Protection Service won't start due to being denied access to certain files. I...
  5. Software Protection Service cannot start due to a registry issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Protection Service cannot start due to a registry issue: I had to do a System Restore recently. Everything went fine except that I was soon greeted by the "Activate Windows" overlay. Tried to activate Windows, error code 0xc0000022. Turns out the System Protection Service won't start due to being denied access to certain files. I...
  6. Software Protection Service cannot start due to a registry issue

7. Software Protection Service

Software Protection Service: Hi,I'm sorry my English is so bad. But I need your help.I wanted to check emails and send emails then My computer was restarted this afternoon and it went to BIOS, I checked the logs in Event Viewer and it was because of the Software Protection Service. I don't know why and I...
  8. Software Protection services

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Software Protection services: I want to activate windows 10 but can't since software protection services is disabled. I get error 5 when I try to start it. I saw online that I need to give myself permission in the sppsvc folder in order to start software protection but when I go to the "Permissions for...
  9. Activating windows - Software protection service not starting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows - Software protection service not starting: Hello! Recently I encountered an issue with my windows where it got deactivated automatically, I tried running the troubleshoot however no luck. Screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/w5TwJW8.png https://i.imgur.com/P2T2tFT.png I then went ahead and bought a copy of...
  10. Software Protection Service Wont Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Software Protection Service Wont Start: The software protection service (sppsvc) will not start. When I try to run this command: "net start sppsvc" in an administrator command prompt I get this error: "The Software Protection service could not be started. A system error has occurred. System error 5 has occurred....