Windows 10: Cannot switch to high-performance GPU

Discus and support Cannot switch to high-performance GPU in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Using an ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo, Intel UHD 630 and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, latest drivers through GeForce experience. 32 GB RAM, core i9. Until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chajiNo2, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Cannot switch to high-performance GPU

Using an ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo, Intel UHD 630 and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, latest drivers through GeForce experience. 32 GB RAM, core i9.

Until yesterday I had no problems. Playing CrossCode via Steam, had set it to use the high-performance GPU in Windows Graphics settings. Today started experiencing massive slowdown, and Task Manager shows that it's using the integrated graphics. Went into Nvidia Control Panel and specified that CrossCode should run with the 2060. Rebooted. Still laggy, still running on the Intel. Changed Global Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel to only use the 2060 for everything. Rebooted. Still running on the Intel. Right-clicked the .exe for the game directly in Windows, selected "Run with graphics processor" and specified the 2060. STILL running on the Intel.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything Nvidia related and doing a fresh install of GeForce experience...same thing all over.

Does this have anything to do with the latest update? My system wouldn't update to 20H2 but installed the latest 1909 updates today, and yesterday everything was peachy keen.

Do I need to do a clean install of Windows at this point? Will that even help? Any suggestions are appreciated!

submitted by /u/chajiNo2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/chajiNo2, Apr 14, 2021

2. having issues with multi GPU

I’m trying to offload certain apps to my iGPU on the second screen, using the new graphics settings in the recent win 10 release. the issue is it’s only showing my 1070. lists it as both power saving GPU, and
    high performance GPU.

I’ve been fiddling for a while now with no joy, and i’m really hoping one of you guys has an idea they can suggest to sort this!

I can extend onto the second screen no probs with it plugged into the iGPU, but the 1070 is still listed as both power saving GPU and high performance GPU.

Are there requirements for this? certain level of iGPU for it to work?

Thanks

Edit - setting the secondary screen connected to the iGPU to be the "main" display in graphics settings makes my iGPU show as both power saving and high performance GPU, I just can't seem to get them
    to be one and not the other.

GaryDougall, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Cripplingly High GPU in Windows 10

A few weeks ago my Windows experience began to severely degrade. Moving Windows around is laggy and jerk and you can see even text entry is delayed. Using Task Manager shows that my GPU is between 80% and 100%. All other metrics are low - CPU, network,
    memory and disk. The issue is usually exacerbated when using a browser - Edge, Firefox and Chrome all behave in a similar manner.
    When quitting the brower, the issue remains. I'm curently running one app (Evernote) and the GPU is at 100%
    The PC was running well aand I didn't install or update anything special to trigger the problem.
    Specs
    Windows 10 64bit
    i7-5500 2.4Ghz
    16Gb RAM
    Output is via HDMI to monitor 1 and mini-HDMI to monitor 2
    Steps I have taken to resolve this:
    • Reinstall of Windows
    • Reinstall/Repair of Windows
    • Uninstall graphics driver - some performance improvement however GPU usage remains high and on reboot, the driver is reinstalled. Also, I cannot use both screens.
    • Installation of an older, beta graphics driver
    • Shouting angrily
    • Turning off hardware acceleration in the browser

Zorro Blade, Apr 14, 2021
  4. brain829 Win User

Cannot switch to high-performance GPU

Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

It has been a few years now that this problem has been reported, are there any accepted fixes. From what I gather, even those individuals with serious graphics cards are vulnerable to dwm.exe dominating their available GPU. I myself report this issue, even
    on games and design software with the settings at a minimum. For example, Java will be using ~45% of the available GPU, whereas dwm.exe takes up the remaining ~55%. As stated previously, the result is the entire system halting, not just the game. The mouse
    will take a few seconds to stutter across the screen, and task manager will take 5+ seconds to even appear.

There have been many suggestions and no results. Is that Microsoft's consensus then? Thank you ahead of time.

brain829, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Cannot switch to high-performance GPU

1. Cannot switch to high-performance GPU - Similar Threads - Cannot switch high

2. High GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High GPU: I'm experiencing an issue where my games use 100% of the GPU in Task Manager causing the FPS to become stuck at 100-103 fps. The problem arises when I spend time outside games google, discord.., it doesnt happen when im in the game, for example I close a game and i use google...
  3. high gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high gpu: I'm experiencing an issue where my games use 100% of the GPU in Task Manager causing the FPS to become stuck. The problem arises when I spend time outside games google, and the only solution seems to be restarting the computer. Any solution please?...
  4. High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics: On my laptop, my high performance GPU is set as Radeon graphics instead of GTX 1650, and I cannot be bothered to select a specific GPU every time I install something that requires GPU horsepower. Does anyone have a solution to this?Thanks...
  5. High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics: On my laptop, my high performance GPU is set as Radeon graphics instead of GTX 1650, and I cannot be bothered to select a specific GPU every time I install something that requires GPU horsepower. Does anyone have a solution to this?Thanks...
  6. I can't use my high performance GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't use my high performance GPU: I use a laptop, there are 2 video cards, external and internal, external Nvidia GT540M and internal, Intel Hd 3000. I couldn't use my GT540M graphics card, it shows Intel's graphics card as my high performance graphics card. My GT540M graphics card is shown as working...
  7. Changing my High performance GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing my High performance GPU: So, I have two graphics cards 1.AMD Radeon HD 5450High Performance GPU 2.Intel HD Graphics 4400Power Saving GPU It's like this when I first started the PC. The Intel graphics card gives off a better performance than the AMD one. That's why I want to change my Default...
  8. How to set high performance gpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set high performance gpu: How do I set the high performance gpu in windows. I want to set my rx 580 as the high performance gpu but my 570 is set to high performance and I just want to know how to chance it. submitted by /u/JacobDoesLife [link] [comments]...
  9. Laptop not switching to "High Performance" mode while plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop not switching to "High Performance" mode while plugged in: Before when I used to plug in my laptop, the laptop used to go into "performance mode". This was visible because the screen colors looked more vivid and gave better fps while playing games. But now, after plugging in, the laptop stays in the same state, no color change or...
  10. Laptop's not switching to "high performance mode" when plugged in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop's not switching to "high performance mode" when plugged in: Before when I used to plug in my laptop, the laptop used to go into "performance mode". This was visible because the screen colors looked more vivid and gave better fps while playing games. But now, after plugging in, the laptop stays in the same state, no color change or...