Windows 10: Cannot switch users

Discus and support Cannot switch users in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi There: So on a 10 month old HP laptop, with Win 10 Home ver 1803 (build 17134.407) in the last couple of weeks a problem has presented itself... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by CharlesRoR, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Cannot switch users

Hi There:

So on a 10 month old HP laptop, with Win 10 Home ver 1803 (build 17134.407) in the last couple of weeks a problem has presented itself where we cannot switch users.

There are three user accounts - Mine, Wife, and Admin. All accounts are valid and passwords work

Wife walks away and the screen locks up. Before I go and used to be able to just switch user from the lock screen over to one of the other two accounts. Now the other users to switch to do not display on the lock screen. From the lock screen I can kick off a laptop reboot, which will not resolve the issue, as it brings me back to the same login screen without the ability to switch users.

The only solution seems to be to bring wife to the laptop and have her login and then signout. At this point the login screen comes up WITH all of the accounts showing to switch to.

Obviously this doesn't work well when wife is sleeping or not at home.

Advice would be appreciated.

:)

CharlesRoR, Nov 14, 2018

2. Cant switch users in Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details:

• What exactly happens when you try to switch users?

• Do you receive any error message/code?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key altogether.

• Click on Switch User.

• Select the user with which you want to login.

If computer starts up with a user other than the one you want, login to that user account and switch user to the account that you need and check.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Switch user at startup

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you cannot see the switch user option after the upgrade I will make sure to help you with this issue.

First I suggest you to reboot the system and check if see the switch user option.

If you still don’t see the option then I would suggest you to perform the below step and check if you can see switch user option.

On the login screen press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and check if you can see the switch user option.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance related to Windows, we will be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Mohammed Yaseer, Nov 14, 2018
  4. Kreij Win User

Cannot switch users

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Cannot switch users

1. Cannot switch users - Similar Threads - Cannot switch users

2. In Windows 11 , Cannot switch user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11 , Cannot switch user: I cannot switch user account after login win 11Already craete add the key in register or create a local account. But issue cannot be fixed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-11-cannot-switch-user/8b19d30c-48ff-47b4-b3f0-6165754a568a
  3. In Windows 11 , Cannot switch user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Windows 11 , Cannot switch user: I cannot switch user account after login win 11Already craete add the key in register or create a local account. But issue cannot be fixed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-11-cannot-switch-user/8b19d30c-48ff-47b4-b3f0-6165754a568a
  4. i cannot switch user in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot switch user in windows: i cannot switch user in windows, i can see my users but when click on sgin in, nothing happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-switch-user-in-windows/d2db7d1d-c807-44eb-bd90-a09b1a6550bf
  5. i cannot switch user in windows

i cannot switch user in windows: i cannot switch user in windows, i can see my users but when click on sgin in, nothing happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-switch-user-in-windows/d2db7d1d-c807-44eb-bd90-a09b1a6550bf
  6. Cannot switch user to login and open computer

Cannot switch user to login and open computer: Cannot switch user to login and open computer. Was never asked for an outlook.com password before. This is an older desktop, never had this problem before.......
  7. Cannot switch user to login and open computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot switch user to login and open computer: Cannot switch user to login and open computer. Was never asked for an outlook.com password before. This is an older desktop, never had this problem before.......
  8. Cannot switch users in window 10 Home

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot switch users in window 10 Home: I am unable to login to a second new user account I added to my computer. There is no option to login to the new account on the startup screen or from within the main account that I use. I tried to do it by enabling an "other users" page but I get "user profile service...
  9. No Admin access and cannot switch user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No Admin access and cannot switch user account: I need help please! My laptop has 2 very big problems first I can't switch users and second I don't have Admin rights even though I have admin password. Anything that requires admin access can no longer do. what should I do? I am on Windows 10 Home and this started about 2...
  10. Cannot see/login into other users at Login or Switch Users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot see/login into other users at Login or Switch Users: Hi all, My computer has three users on it (John, Lawrence, and Elizabeth). The problem right now is that John is the only one that can login to the computer. For Lawrence and Elizabeth, their users don't appear at the login screen (not even in the bottom left hand...