Windows 10: Cannot take a system image from my SSD

Discus and support Cannot take a system image from my SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been trying to take a system image from my laptop (which is a 256 GB SSD, used only till 45%) to an external hard drive (on a partition of about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gappu, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Gappu Win User

Cannot take a system image from my SSD

I've been trying to take a system image from my laptop (which is a 256 GB SSD, used only till 45%) to an external hard drive (on a partition of about 256 GB).

Every time I try, I get this error message "Windows could not find backup devices on this computer. The following information might explain why this problem occurred: Incorrect function. (0x80070001). Close Windows Backup and try again".

I can view the external HDD through Windows Explorer and there is no problem either reading or writing to the external HDD in the usual course of operation. I checked if TRIM was working and it is, so I cannot understand the problem.

The only explanation I could come up with was that since the system image makes an EXACT sector by sector copy, and the storage framework of the SSD being vastly different from that of the HDD (?), the system image function would not work in this particular combination.

I wonder if anyone else had this very same problem, and what, if anything they did about it. Do you think an SSD to an external SSD combination would work? Doesn't Windows 10 come with a "SSD-HDD-SSD sector translator" (aka driver)?

:)

Gappu, Apr 12, 2016

2. Can I take a system backup image from laptop #2 and use that to restore laptop #1

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Please be informed that, system image backup contains a copy of Windows and system settings which differs between each systems. If we have taken a backup of any system we can only use this for that particular system, it won't work on other systems. Also,
    each system has its own product key which can't be used on different systems.

So, it is not possible to use a backup of laptop #2 on laptop #1.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Apr 12, 2016
  3. Can I take a system backup image from laptop #2 and use that to restore laptop #1

Original Title: system backup image restore

I have two identical mini-laptops -- little lenovo flex 3 things. these have only 32gb internal flash memory type 'hard drives', and shipped with windows 10 pre-installed.

during the recent windows update, laptop #1 said it needed more space, and allowed me to use an sd card for that space. update had taken several hours so I left it overnight. in the morning it was in a boot loop and none of the repair/rollback options
    work. It appears to have gotten to some point where it is trying to roll back anyway. So I don't know if it went into sleep mode and hosed the update, or if the SD card (64gb) is not really viable for the extra space or some other reason.

my question is can I take a system backup image from laptop #2, which has not yet had this windows updated applied, and use that to restore laptop #1? My understanding now is that license keys are stored in BIOS so maybe this will work??? I'm going to
    try clean install from usb first but am wondering about the restore from another identical device option. Then I would just need to fix the user account, etc.

If nothing else works, my last option is Lenovo warranty support I think.

BillFerriell, Apr 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, what you're trying to do is a perfectly reasonable procedure.

However, sometimes Windows' Backup isn't so reliable ((some have found).
    I have a SSD and HDD external storage, and it works for me (just tried it for the first time).

I would recommend (as others have) you explore e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + boot medium + external storage.
    Many more features, more reliable, incremental imaging, control of backups created.

There is a good scattering of threads about problems with connecting external disks on this forum, but normally they are cases where the disk is not accessible.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    System images backups are not a direct sector by sector copy. The backup file is basically a file like any other. Something else is wrong.

Try using Macrium Reflect Free to make an image backup.

cereberus, Apr 12, 2016
  6. Gappu Win User
    That was excellent advice. I'm sorry I took so long to reply, but I've just used Macrium Reflect (as you and cereberus suggested), on two of my Windows 10 SSD machines which had this problem, and I'm happy to report that I'm all rescue protected and imaged twice over. Even tried a mock restore (without actually doing the restore), so that I could familiarize myself with the situation. It's a great program, and thanks to you both for recommending it.

Gappu, Apr 17, 2016
  7. Gappu Win User
    That was excellent advice. I'm sorry I took so long to reply, but I've just used Macrium Reflect (as you and cereberus suggested), on two of my Windows 10 SSD machines which had this problem, and I'm happy to report that I'm all rescue protected and imaged twice over. Even tried a mock restore (without actually doing the restore), so that I could familiarize myself with the situation. It's a great program, and thanks to you both for recommending it.

Gappu, Apr 17, 2016
  8. RWOne Win User

Glad to hear it got solved, I'm going to check out Macrium Reflect (free) myself ...

RWOne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot take a system image from my SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot system image

2. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  3. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  4. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  5. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  6. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a system image on a secondary SSD: I have 3 drives in my pc. C (Boot Drive), D (secondary SSD), and D (secondary SSD). I have been trying to create a system image and save it on my D drive, but for some reason I am getting a message stating that a system image cannot be saved on a drive that my computer uses...
  8. Ssd too small for system image.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Ssd too small for system image.: I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it. I was going to do one of three things. Option 1. Insert new drive and use 3rd party software to clone the drive with the OS Option 2. Make a system image...
  9. Ssd too small for system image.

Ssd too small for system image.: I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it. I was going to do one of three things. Option 1. Insert new drive and use 3rd party software to clone the drive with the OS Option 2. Make a system image...
  10. Transfer System disk image to SSD

Transfer System disk image to SSD: I have created a disk image of the system disk, C:\ with the disk image software in Win 10 backup. The system disk was 70GB with 40GB of files. When I tried to write the image to the SSD the Win 10 install software said the disk (120GB= 110GB) was too small. I reinstalled the...