Windows 10: Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC

Discus and support Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello,I bought a Windows 10 Pro digital key 3 years ago. I have trouble transferring that key from my old to my new PC.So far, I have done the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Teodora Aleksic, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC

Hello,I bought a Windows 10 Pro digital key 3 years ago. I have trouble transferring that key from my old to my new PC.So far, I have done the following:When I started this process, I had Windows 10 Pro installed on both PCs. My old PC was activated with the digital key, my new one was not.On the new PC, I went to Activation > Troubleshoot > I changed hardware on this device recently. Only my old PC was listed. From my understanding, the new PC should have showed up there as well. I checked that I was signed in to the same Microsoft account on both PCs. I logged in to my Microsoft accoun

:)

Teodora Aleksic, Mar 25, 2023
  2. PKJ
    pkj Win User

Transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC

I have purchased a new PC and I would like to transfer Windows license from my old PC to the new one. I am using Windows 10 (which was upgraded from Win 8.1) on my older computer and is activated with a licence linked to my Microsoft account. On my new PC, I have installed fresh copy of Win 10 using Media Creation Tool. To activate Windows on the new PC, I attempted the following, but have not deactivated Windows on the old PC (deactivation procedure described here)-

Settings > Update & Security > Activation> Troubleshoot> I changed hardware on this device recently> Logged into my connected Microsoft account > This is the device I’m using right now > Activate.

After performing the above, I am unable to activate Windows on my new PC. Please help me with the following-

1. Do I need to deactivate windows on older PC first?
    2. Does Microsoft entitle users to transfer licenses to new PC?
    3. Is there anything else which I have missed out?

If this helps- slmgr -dli gives the following

Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC LTP2X.jpg

3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 25, 2023
  4. Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC

Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 25, 2023
Thema:

Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC

1. Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC - Similar Threads - Cannot transfer license

2. Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC: I have an old PC with Retail Windows 10 upgraded from windows 8 installed and digitally linked to my Microsoft account outlook email. I assembled a new PC new device name and would like to transfer this license to this new PC. Based on the advice from the community, I login...
  3. Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC: I have an old PC with Retail Windows 10 upgraded from windows 8 installed and digitally linked to my Microsoft account outlook email. I assembled a new PC new device name and would like to transfer this license to this new PC. Based on the advice from the community, I login...
  4. Transfer Windows license to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows license to a new PC: I bought a retail version of Windows 10 in 2017, which was a digital code obtained from the Microsoft website. I have been using it on my laptop since then. However, I plan to purchase a new PC and would like to install Windows 11 on it. Can I format my old laptop, install a...
  5. Transfer Windows license to a new PC

Transfer Windows license to a new PC: I bought a retail version of Windows 10 in 2017, which was a digital code obtained from the Microsoft website. I have been using it on my laptop since then. However, I plan to purchase a new PC and would like to install Windows 11 on it. Can I format my old laptop, install a...
  6. Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC

Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC: Hello,I bought a Windows 10 Pro digital key 3 years ago. I have trouble transferring that key from my old to my new PC.So far, I have done the following:When I started this process, I had Windows 10 Pro installed on both PCs. My old PC was activated with the digital key, my...
  7. Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot transfer Windows license to new PC: Hello,I bought a Windows 10 Pro digital key 3 years ago. I have trouble transferring that key from my old to my new PC.So far, I have done the following:When I started this process, I had Windows 10 Pro installed on both PCs. My old PC was activated with the digital key, my...
  8. Transferring Windows license to a new PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows license to a new PC.: I have a Windows 10 license that is connected to my Microsoft Account. I will soon buy a laptop without a system and i want to install Windows 11 on it. And my question is, if i login to that Microsoft account on Windows 11 will it automatically activate? Or do i need to...
  9. Transferring Windows license to a new PC.

Transferring Windows license to a new PC.: I have a Windows 10 license that is connected to my Microsoft Account. I will soon buy a laptop without a system and i want to install Windows 11 on it. And my question is, if i login to that Microsoft account on Windows 11 will it automatically activate? Or do i need to...
  10. Transferring license to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring license to new PC: Hello! I'm building a new PC, and am trying to figure out the best and easiest way to move my product license over. It'll be completely blank, and from what I've been gathering I can download the installation media for Windows onto a USB, and then plug it into the new PC...