Windows 10: cannot turn indexing back on

Discus and support cannot turn indexing back on in Cortana to solve the problem; cannot turn indexing back on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-indexing-back-on/43e0de6f-431d-4da2-a2e7-938047d5c336" Discussion in 'Cortana' started by TR49, Dec 19, 2018.

1. TR49 Win User

cannot turn indexing back on

:)

2. malernah Win User

Search Indexing was Turned Off

When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on.

cannot turn indexing back on 90359a9b-3438-4cdc-bcbc-c0236190f699.png

Please let me know what steps I can take to troubleshoot and resolve, and I will follow steps and post results of steps.

malernah, Dec 19, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    is it better to turn indexing off?

You can add what you want to it. If the file extension is in the list it will index it but don't tell it to index the properties and file contents unless the file is like a .CFG .TXT .INI type file.

AsRock, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Ruz San Win User

Search Indexing was Turned Off

Hi,

The Indexing Service in Windows Services may not be running, resulting to what you are experiencing on the computer. It will be better if you provide more information about the recent activities on the computer to understand why this happened. Kindly answer
    these questions:

• Did this start after installing updates on your computer?
    • Did you make any changes on your settings prior to this issue?

Let's see if we can restart the Indexing Service by performing the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc then press Enter.
    • Look for Indexing Service.
    • Right-click on the service and choose Restart.

Let us know if the steps above resolve the issue. Feel free to post questions if you have any.

Regards.

Ruz San, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot turn indexing back on - Similar Threads - cannot turn indexing

2. how to get indexing back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get indexing back: Search indexing is offTurn indexing back on The above is what I see. When I click on it I end up in indexing advanced options. The only thing there I can click onall other thing are whited out is rebuild which then takes me to indexing options, where all I can do is click on...
  3. how to get indexing back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get indexing back: Search indexing is offTurn indexing back on The above is what I see. When I click on it I end up in indexing advanced options. The only thing there I can click onall other thing are whited out is rebuild which then takes me to indexing options, where all I can do is click on...
  4. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot rebuild index: I'm trying to rebuild the search and index on my Windows 10 PC but it keeps pausing itself.I've tried the search and index troubleshooter to no avail.I've tried restarting Windows Search, which does unpause it, but it automatically repauses in 1-2 seconds.How do I rebuild my...
  5. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot rebuild index: I'm trying to rebuild the search and index on my Windows 10 PC but it keeps pausing itself.I've tried the search and index troubleshooter to no avail.I've tried restarting Windows Search, which does unpause it, but it automatically repauses in 1-2 seconds.How do I rebuild my...
  6. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Turn Indexing on...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turn Indexing on...: Windows 10 I used to be able to search for files. Now I can't. It tells me that indexing is turned off. I want to know how to turn it on. I get the attached screenshot. Help me, please. 176060
  8. Indexing is turned off and wont come back.

in Cortana
    Indexing is turned off and wont come back.: I recently changed the ownership of my hard drive from "Trusted Installer", whoever that is, to my own user ID. Now indexing is turned off for my searches and won't come back. I can't select anything from the indexing options there are no locations displayed, the advanced...
  9. Cannot Turn Wi-fi back on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Turn Wi-fi back on: So this morning, my Windows 10 laptop just decided out of the blue that it wasn't going to connect to the Wifi on my university campus. I know the Wifi network is available since I can connect to it with my smartphone. Windows won't even let me view the list of available...
  10. turn indexing back on Windows 10

in Cortana
    turn indexing back on Windows 10: For some reason (I don't know how) indexing was turned off. I am unable to turn it back on. Cannot get past "indexing is not running" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-indexing-back-on-windows-10/d9155bd5-dc5d-4816-b489-04347ad69b73"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn indexing back on

2. how can i turn indexing back on ?

3. windows10 turn indexing back on