Windows 10: Cannot turn off encryption of desktop folder!

Discus and support Cannot turn off encryption of desktop folder! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I encrypted a file on my desktop. That enabled encryption on the Desktop folder. Now all files created or copied to my desktop are being encrypted.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by FrankD-Atl, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Cannot turn off encryption of desktop folder!

I encrypted a file on my desktop. That enabled encryption on the Desktop folder. Now all files created or copied to my desktop are being encrypted.

The problem is that though I can decrypt individual files, when I uncheck the "Encrypt contents to secure data" property for the Desktopfolder, it tells me it cannot remove encryption from the FOLDER. Specifically, it says: "An error occurred applying attributes to the file: C:\Users\Frank\Desktop. The Specified file could not be decrypted." It will, however decrypt files and subfolders.

When I run "cipher /u /n", it does not tell me Desktop is encrypted,but it is. The name is green the color used for encrypted files and folders, the "Encrypt contents to secure data" property has a check in its box, and like I said, whenever I create of copy a file to the desktop, that file gets automatically encrypted and I have to manually decrypt it.

Please help me turn off encryption of the Desktop folder.

FYI, this is Windows 10, 1909 with all updates applied as of 25-Jan-2020.

:)

FrankD-Atl, Jan 25, 2020

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Jan 25, 2020
  3. Pavan MK Win User
    Why all my newly created files and folders Encrypted in Desktop?

Every time I create a new folder or file and save it to my Desktop, a gold padlock icon appears on it. I tried the following steps but no use:

1. Go to C:\Users\User_Name and select Desktop folder, right click on it, select properties, then go to Advanced, unchecked the option "Encrypt the option to secure data". Then it shows one error as

"An error occurred trying to apply attributes to the file:

C:\Users\User_name\Desktop

The specific file could not be decrypted" .

2. Open an administrator command line and run "cipher /u /n" to list all the EFS files.

Then run "cipher /d "path to the file"" to decrypt all the EFS files.

Any other suggestions ?

Regards

Pavan MK, Jan 25, 2020
  4. Cannot turn off encryption of desktop folder!

Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot turn off encryption of desktop folder!

1. Cannot turn off encryption of desktop folder! - Similar Threads - Cannot turn off

2. Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.: I recently added a file to my documents folder that I wanted to encrypt. However, somehow the entire folder now automatically encrypts any new files I create in it. This is NOT what I want, as I want to be able to access those files from a share on my workgroup.However, when...
  3. Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.: I recently added a file to my documents folder that I wanted to encrypt. However, somehow the entire folder now automatically encrypts any new files I create in it. This is NOT what I want, as I want to be able to access those files from a share on my workgroup.However, when...
  4. Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I cannot encrypt a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot encrypt a folder: Hi!I'm trying to protect a folder with some data that is not so sensitive but that I would like to be protected, but following the Microsoft tutorial I saw that the option is grayed out, I don't know exactly why.It's in Portuguese but I believe it's understandable from what I...
  6. I cannot encrypt a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot encrypt a folder: Hi!I'm trying to protect a folder with some data that is not so sensitive but that I would like to be protected, but following the Microsoft tutorial I saw that the option is grayed out, I don't know exactly why.It's in Portuguese but I believe it's understandable from what I...
  7. Drop shadows on desktop icons cannot be turned off

in Windows 10 Support
    Drop shadows on desktop icons cannot be turned off: I tried Advanced system settings > Performance > Unchecked everything and they went away for about 10 seconds and the reappeared. After that Windows completely ignores the setting. I tried editing the various registry entries the internet said we're related to this, none of...
  8. Device encryption not turned off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device encryption not turned off: my device wasnt able to turn off device encryption so i am not able to delete any files and install also needed help >< https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-encryption-not-turned-off/ed73a06f-0e82-4583-82af-58f46e28533b
  9. cannot turn off desktop auto grid

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot turn off desktop auto grid: I have spent 30 minutes searching for an answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-off-desktop-auto-grid/9db7a7e8-2f08-4304-a98e-497e4320007f
  10. how to turn OFF EFS - Encrypting File System for files e folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to turn OFF EFS - Encrypting File System for files e folder: hello guys, i need some help here i tryed these steps 1- with a new text file->proprieties->advanced->turn on crittography 2- now the file icon have a lock icon. 3- if a make a new text file or folder, are always locked(lock icon) Is releated with EFS? i can i...