Windows 10: Cannot turn off Real-Time Protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Discus and support Cannot turn off Real-Time Protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am unable to turn off Real-time protection (or any other settings ie Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, etc) in Microsoft... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Minion677, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Minion677 Win User

Cannot turn off Real-Time Protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus

I am unable to turn off Real-time protection (or any other settings ie Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, etc) in Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

When I click the toggle button to turn it from On to Off, it quickly reverts back to the On position. The same thing happens with every option on that page. I also cannot add any exclusions to Windows Defender.

Also, my Windows Firewall is Off, and I cannot turn it On. The same thing happens where it immediately reverts back to Off. Basically every setting in my Windows Security is unable to be changed.

In reading other threads about this issue, they all talk about adjusting settings in the group policy editor, but this is not present on Windows 10 Home which I have. I also do not have any other antivirus software installed. I have run SFC scan and tried Malwarebytes without success.

Thanks for your help...

:)

Minion677, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Real Time protection couldn't be turned on (error)

Hi,

We would like to know if you're turning on the Real time Protection of Windows Defender. If so, do you have a third-party antivirus software installed? If you're using a third party antivirus, Windows Defender will be turned off to give way to the antivirus
    you want to use. We recommend uninstalling the third party antivirus program if you want to use Windows Defender.

If you're not using a third party antivirus software, kindly answer the questions below for us to better assist you on your concern:

• When did you notice that you're unable to turn on the Real time Protection of Windows Defender?
    • Were there any changes made on the computer before encountering the issue?
    • What is the exact error code and error message that you're getting when turning on the Real time Protection of Windows Defender? We suggest posting a screenshot of the issue here for us to further investigate your concern.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Argel Obm, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Jose Est Win User
    How do I turn off real -time protection?

Hi Rahul,

If you have Windows 10, you are getting the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. Windows Defender actively helps in protecting your PC from malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection.

To turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off, follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings >
      Update & Security.
    • Select Windows Defender, then turn Real-time protection
      on or off.
    If the on /off button is greyed out, refer to the answer of José Antonio
    Pontón Posada CEO on this thread for troubleshooting steps.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Jose Est, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Cannot turn off Real-Time Protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Cannot turn off Real-Time Protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus

1. Cannot turn off Real-Time Protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus - Similar Threads - Cannot turn off

2. Cannot turn off real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn off real time protection: I wanted to turn off real time protection so i can run a script, but when i disable it turns back on instantly. I tried removing it with local group policy but apparently i dont have it installed so i tried multiple other ways but nothing seems to work. All the other settings...
  3. Cannot turn off real time protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn off real time protection: I wanted to turn off real time protection so i can run a script, but when i disable it turns back on instantly. I tried removing it with local group policy but apparently i dont have it installed so i tried multiple other ways but nothing seems to work. All the other settings...
  4. Cannot turn off real-time protection Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn off real-time protection Windows Defender: It stated like that. I already removed all work email but still cannot manage my own personal PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-off-real-time-protection-windows/5164f32f-2733-488a-bebd-9150b3bc3ce1
  5. Cannot turn off real-time protection Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn off real-time protection Windows Defender: It stated like that. I already removed all work email but still cannot manage my own personal PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-off-real-time-protection-windows/5164f32f-2733-488a-bebd-9150b3bc3ce1
  6. Cannot turn off real-time protection Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Turning Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection: So i'm trying to do what the title says and basically it seems like it's impossible. Sure i can turn it off in the settings but every time i restart my computer it gets turned back on automatically. I was on windows 1803 a couple of days ago and i was able to simply turn it...
  8. cannot turn off the real time protection of defender, why?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot turn off the real time protection of defender, why?: I have try to turn off the real time protection in defender but it will immediately return to on location. why this happen. anyone can help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-off-the-real-time-protection-of/ecbfaed1-db3b-4517-85e4-3fe5beb7c3b7
  9. Windows Defender Real Time Protection is Turned Off

Windows Defender Real Time Protection is Turned Off: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Please help me in solving this issue my windows defender real time protection is turned off and not turning on it says this setting can be managed by your administrator only but i'm using my administrator account only as you can see in image please give me...
  10. Windows Defenders - Cannot Turn On / Off Real Time Protection

Windows Defenders - Cannot Turn On / Off Real Time Protection: Hi everyone, I need some help regarding windows defender real-time protection. My computer was attacked with a virus when I was installing a program. After the attack, I can't turn on my Windows Defender Real-Time Protection as it is stated that the setting can only be...