Windows 10: cannot turn off recent files in start

Discus and support cannot turn off recent files in start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to turn of the recent files in the Start menu (e.g. when writing the name of an app, the recently opened files appear; since this last... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Duavago, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Duavago Win User

cannot turn off recent files in start

Hi,

I wanted to turn of the recent files in the Start menu (e.g. when writing the name of an app, the recently opened files appear; since this last win10 update, when you click the arrow on the right of the app's name).

1) So I turned off jump lists (in Start > Settings > Personalisation > Start > show recently opened items... > OFF);

2) then I went to File Explorer > View > Options > Folder Options > General > and turned off "Show recently used files...", "Show frequently used folders...", and cleared the File Explorer history.

Then recent files in Start seemed to be gone, BUT as soon as I opened a couple of files (in this case with VLC and MS-Officce apps) the recent files list was back.

A couple extra notes:

a) Right clicking a recent file's name in Start and then "Remove from this list" removes all but one file (whatever file was the last to be "removed"), and in that last file the only thing that gets removed are the other options that appear when you right click; the last item remains there until opening another file (then, the un-removable file gets removed and replaced by this last file). Repeating the steps above does not remove these from the recent list.

b) Disabling the App's history (e.g. vlc) changes nothing.

c) the files in \Users\xxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\Recent are not the same that appear in Start menu some_App's recent files (only those opened since steps 1) and 2) show up).

d) \Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items gets populated with folders and files after steps 1) and 2) are performed; manually deleting the entries does not remove then from Start menu recent files in some_App.

:)

Duavago, Nov 29, 2018

2. Recent File List

that's all off already dude lol, I'm really surprised there is no fix for the recent files list/MRU in the file menu of programs haha

I appreciate the help, MS really needs to implement a Group Policy or a string that can do that for all programs installed

eidairaman1, Nov 29, 2018
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 29, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Nov 29, 2018
  5. Duavago New Member
    So I put a solution up in the original forum, but whatever service copied that post here did not copy the answer (how does that work anyway?). So the solution I found was:

In Group Policy Editor (Win+R, "gpedit.msc") > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar, I enabled "Do not keep history of recently opened documents" and "Remove Recent Items menu from Start Menu".

The \Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent_Items still gets populated with recent items, but only momentarily.

A few last items were resilient, but rebooting the system got rid of them.

Anyway, shouldn't this process be a lot easier? If I didn't have windows pro to access the gpedit option, I really would have to go with slozomby's suggestion. It seems getting grid of file history is beyond >95% of windows users.

Cheers,

Duavago, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot turn off recent files in start - Similar Threads - cannot turn off

2. Cannot turn off Core_isolation_Memory_integrity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn off Core_isolation_Memory_integrity: Hello,I have been dealing with this problem for 7 hours now, watching nearly 30 tutorials and reading 3 forums. I simply cannot deactivate core isolation. I have full admin rights, I've also disabled/enabled tried both VMX in the BIOS. Secure Boot is also disabled. However, I...
  3. Cannot turn off Core_isolation_Memory_integrity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn off Core_isolation_Memory_integrity: Hello,I have been dealing with this problem for 7 hours now, watching nearly 30 tutorials and reading 3 forums. I simply cannot deactivate core isolation. I have full admin rights, I've also disabled/enabled tried both VMX in the BIOS. Secure Boot is also disabled. However, I...
  4. Cannot turn off Touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot turn off Touchpad: EditionWindows 10 Home Version21H1 Installed on‎9/‎13/‎2020 OS build19043.1052 ExperienceWindows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 I have two computers, the one I'm using now and one on an older HP 17 inch Notebook that I like to carry when I'm away from my home desk....
  5. I cannot turn off airplane mode after the recent update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot turn off airplane mode after the recent update: I cannot turn off airplane mode after the recent update i already restart my laptop but still the same can anyone help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-turn-off-airplane-mode-after-the-recent/fe42e079-2876-41c7-8a28-69326fc03e4e
  6. cannot turn off files on demand for one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot turn off files on demand for one drive: i go into one drive settings, go under files on demand and uncheck it ,when i hit ok, it automatically checks it again.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-off-files-on-demand-for-one-drive/ff15dd9b-b300-4114-b317-cd5acc850780
  7. Bitlocker Cannot Be Turned Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker Cannot Be Turned Off: Hello I Have SSD Encrypted With Bitlocker ,I need to turn bitlocker encryption off but I get error message devise is not functioning I've tried cmd and power shell , nothing works anyone has a solution [ATTACH]...
  8. Turning off Fast start.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turning off Fast start.: Ever since my laptop upgraded from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home (now Build 17134_release 180410-18040, on waking up there is a lag before before the logon screen appears. The hdd is a 200GB ssd. I have the latest graphic driver. There have been suggestions that turning off...
  9. Cannot turn off bluetooth

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot turn off bluetooth: I am using a desktop PC that does not have any Bluetooth devices, but Bluetooth is shown as on in the notification center. If I click on it there, it guides me to settings>devices, but there is no Bluetooth option there. I checked device manager and I do not have any...
  10. Can I turn off "Recent Files" in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I turn off "Recent Files" in File Explorer?: Every time I open file explorer it displays my recent files. I would like to turn this feature off. If I can't find my own files without recent files, you can have my computer. Why does Windows 10 want to hold our hand on everything? You know those little kids in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot turn start menu off