Windows 10: Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps...

Discus and support Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; please help!!! I had it working from 2019, and after 2020 came, it stopped working. Here: [ATTACH] Also, the BFE service has stopped working,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by minasameh123, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps...

please help!!! I had it working from 2019, and after 2020 came, it stopped working.

Here:

Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... 80c45f5f-caf1-48c0-93d2-9a4c5b210726?upload=true.png

Also, the BFE service has stopped working, launching it gives this error:

Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... 3afd4f6f-91a8-408f-980b-63901d5b353e?upload=true.png

I followed all the steps on this site: Fix Error 1083

But the problem persists.

Windows Update stopped working also:

Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... 6e6fb41e-631b-492e-8ce8-8a0c7485608e?upload=true.png

It gave me: error code of 0x80080005

Ran the troubleshooter many times, says detected and nothing happens...

immediate help and reply please!!!!!

:)

minasameh123, Mar 23, 2020

2. ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service

i found out from event viewer log 7001 that the issue was related to BFE Service (Basic filtering engine) i had to download a fix to BFE registry and another one for Windows Firewall. After running both, i was able start BFE Service and Firewall service. Now my Firewall is working, as well many other services that depend on Basic Filtering Engine.

xxicentury, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied

I've spent an entire day on this and tried every fix I could find, but I am unable to start Base Filtering Engine and as a consequence, Windows Firewall and getting 'Error 5: Access is Denied' message.

Both are set to Automatic in Services.

The Registry for BFE looks OK AFAICT. Windows 7 threads mention a Permissions entry for BFE that your should set to 'Everyone', but my win10 desktop with the issue, and another two systems one with Win10 and the other 8.1, don't have a Permissions entry for BFE.

When this issue first arose I was also unable to access the internet. I fixed that with three CMD lines that I am afraid I can't find the reference to now,

The system has been a wee bit sick for about three weeks, with Narrator randomly firing up plus a big bunch of Explorer windows.

When I run the MS Firewall troubleshooter I get: (sorry about the bad format)
    [table][tr][td]Windows Firewall Troubleshooter[/td] [td]Publisher details[/td] [/tr] [/table]

[table][tr][td]Issues found[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows Firewall service is not started Windows Firewall service is not started Windows Firewall service is not running or is not started.[/td] [td]Not fixed[/td] [td]Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... [​IMG][/td] [/tr] [tr][td][table][tr][td]Start Windows Firewall service[/td] [td]Completed[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [/table] [table][tr][td]Potential issues that were checked[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Cannot Access Shared Files and Printers Cannot Access Shared Files and Printers You cannot access shared files and printers even though you have enabled File and Printer Sharing in Windows.[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Remote Assistance is not working Remote Assistance is not working Remote Assistance is not working even though you have enabled Remote Assistance in Windows.[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows could not start Windows Firewall Windows could not start Windows Firewall On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you find that the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message: "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows could not start Windows Firewall BFE service Windows could not start Windows Firewall BFE service On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [table][tr][td]Issues found[/td] [td]Detection details[/td] [/tr] [/table]

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]6[/td] [td]Windows Firewall service is not started[/td] [td]Not fixed[/td] [td]Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... [​IMG][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows Firewall service is not running or is not started.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]Start Windows Firewall service[/td] [td]Completed[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Starting the Windows Firewall service resolves this problem.[/td] [/tr] [/table][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [table][tr][td]Potential issues that were checked[/td] [td]Detection details[/td] [/tr] [/table]

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td] [td]Cannot Access Shared Files and Printers[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You cannot access shared files and printers even though you have enabled File and Printer Sharing in Windows.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [/tr] [/table] [table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td] [td]Remote Assistance is not working[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Remote Assistance is not working even though you have enabled Remote Assistance in Windows.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [/tr] [/table] [table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td] [td]Windows could not start Windows Firewall[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [tr][td]On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you find that the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message: "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [/tr] [/table] [table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td] [td]Windows could not start Windows Firewall BFE service[/td] [td]Issue not present[/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [/table]
    [/td] [/tr] [tr][td]On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]_______________________________________________[/td] [/tr] [/table]

I'll be building a new system as soon as I can make my mind up about i9X and Threadripper, and handing this box to my wife, so it would be easy to do a clean OS install at that time. Meanwhile, if I can't fix the Firewall, I am wondering how much risk I am taking?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Trevor Dennis, Mar 23, 2020
  4. mdahaasan Win User

Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps...

Can't turn on firewall, BFE and also Windows Update / Error 0x8007042c and Error 1068: The Dependency service... (this is for firewall) , Error 5 (BFE)

can't turn on firewall

mdahaasan, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps...

1. Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps... - Similar Threads - Cannot turn firewall

2. WIndows Firewall failed to start, cannot be started from Services, no fixes work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows Firewall failed to start, cannot be started from Services, no fixes work: Recently, I began receiving alerts that Windows Defender Firewall failed to start. It happens when I start my PC, every time. If I try to open the Firewall from Security, I get the "a new app is required to open this windowsdefender link" popup. If I try to start it from...
  3. WIndows Firewall failed to start, cannot be started from Services, no fixes work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows Firewall failed to start, cannot be started from Services, no fixes work: Recently, I began receiving alerts that Windows Defender Firewall failed to start. It happens when I start my PC, every time. If I try to open the Firewall from Security, I get the "a new app is required to open this windowsdefender link" popup. If I try to start it from...
  4. WIndows Firewall failed to start, cannot be started from Services, no fixes work

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied: So recently I have been fighting this assumed virus on my computer with no luck. I tried to repair the PC by granting administrative permissions to the service it worked partially but I couldnt turn my firewall back on even after doing that. I think My OS got corrupted as...
  6. My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied

My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied: So recently I have been fighting this assumed virus on my computer with no luck. I tried to repair the PC by granting administrative permissions to the service it worked partially but I couldnt turn my firewall back on even after doing that. I think My OS got corrupted as...
  7. My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps...

Cannot turn on firewall or start its service! BFE issue not fixed after following steps...: please help!!! I had it working from 2019, and after 2020 came, it stopped working. Here: [ATTACH] Also, the BFE service has stopped working, launching it gives this error: [ATTACH] I followed all the steps on this site: Fix Error 1083 But the problem persists. Windows Update...
  9. After updating KB890830, the BFE is disabled, with it the firewall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After updating KB890830, the BFE is disabled, with it the firewall: Hi! After updating KB890830, the BFE is disabled, with it the firewall. The computer is unavailable from the network. Solved only by reinstalling the system. Have a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb890830/26b77c0c-6949-425e-affd-3b9d6f25c79f
  10. Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied

Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied: I've spent an entire day on this and tried every fix I could find, but I am unable to start Base Filtering Engine and as a consequence, Windows Firewall and getting 'Error 5: Access is Denied' message. Both are set to Automatic in Services. The Registry for BFE looks...