Windows 10: Cannot Turn on Windows Defender Antivrius!!

Discus and support Cannot Turn on Windows Defender Antivrius!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have tried different steps that I have read throughout the forum. None of them work. I do not have ANY antivirus programs installed. I even... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KMLaw, Jun 6, 2019.

1. KMLaw Win User

Cannot Turn on Windows Defender Antivrius!!

I have tried different steps that I have read throughout the forum. None of them work. I do not have ANY antivirus programs installed. I even uninstalled the Bytefree Malware program. This is unacceptable, for us to not to be able to turn on Windows Defender!

I have a Dell Inspirion running Windows 10. I am going to be forced to install an antivirus program because of this. I attend college online and I plan to work from home. If I could do, what I need to do, on my MacBook Air...I would, but I need to use this PC. Please fix this issue!

Kelly

:)

KMLaw, Jun 6, 2019

2. WINDOWS DEFENDER is turned off

Hi Ahmed,

Since you're not able to turn on Windows Defender as well, we'd like to know if you have made any changes recently prior to this issue. In the meantime, you may follow the steps below on how to turn on Windows Defender manually:

• Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Go to Settings and make sure that the Turn on real-time protection recommended option is turned on.
    Same thing with the other members who are having the same issue, we suggest that you check if the service was setup to
    Automatic in the Services option. Please follow the steps that we've provided last
    September 3, 2017.

Let us know how if you were able to turn it on properly by changing the Startup type to Automatic.

Eileen Gal, Jun 6, 2019
  3. windows defender turned off.....................

@atramsuraj: You can
    read this post
    and follow the given steps to re-enable your Windows Defender. And, by the way:

• What OS are you running?
    • Are you also using 3rd-party security program? If so, please consider disabling it, as some could turn off Windows Defender automatically.

nofoistapp, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Windows Defender of Windows 10 stoped working and is not turning on

Hello NasirMahmood1,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Have you installed any third party anti-virus software?

Step 1: Turn Windows Defender Service On.

Initially, we need to check with the status of
    Windows Defender Service which might be stopping the defender to turn on.

• Press Windows key + R and type
      services.msc and press Enter key.
    • Search for Windows Defender Service and check if it has been started.
    • Right click on Windows Defender Service and click on
      Restart.

Step 2: Turn On Windows Defender Antivirus using Group Policy.

As you are on Windows 10 Pro build, I would suggest
    gpedit.msc
    settings from the following link and set it to Disabled or not configured to
    turn on real time protection setting. Follow the steps mentioned under
    Disable real-time protection from the article-
    Enable and configure antivirus always-on protection and monitoring

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot Turn on Windows Defender Antivrius!! - Similar Threads - Cannot Turn Defender

2. Cannot Turn off windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Turn off windows defender: Hello. I have tried also editing the permissions in the registry but It says access denied. I do not have a school or work account linked in fact I just freshly restored and wiped my whole PC...
  3. Windows Defender cannot be turned on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender cannot be turned on: I am having problems with extremely slow running of my laptop - can take a minute or more for a website to load, despite a speedtest showing my internet connection is above 100mbps so wanted to perform a full scan. I went into Start, Settings, Update & Security, Windows...
  4. Cannot turn on Windows Defender at all.

Cannot turn on Windows Defender at all.: I turned on my PC and I noticed McAfee's anti-virus uninstalled itself, all I had left was the desktop icon. I installed back McAfee's then I tried to run a scan which did not work at all, then I uninstalled via the control panel and even used their program the MCPR to get...
  5. Cannot Turn On Windows Defender.

Cannot Turn On Windows Defender.: Hi i am having trouble turning on the windows defender. The turn on now button in the security and maintenance redirects to the windows defender security center. i don't have any other antivirus software installed. [ATTACH] After that the windows defender security center...
  6. Cannot Turn on Window Defender

Cannot Turn on Window Defender: I can't open my window defender virus treats and protection. It says that I need to contact my IT administrator for help. i'm the only one using the laptop so nobody should be my IT administrator. I tried all ways like regedit, services.msc, clean boot, all the ways i can...
  7. Cannot Turn Windows Defender On

Cannot Turn Windows Defender On: When I go to the Windows Security and Virus Protection screen, I get the following screen. I don't knowingly have any virus protection running. How do I determine what program may be causing this and get rid of it?[ATTACH]...
  8. Cannot turn on Defender

Cannot turn on Defender: When I try to turn on Defender, it says "security is being managed by my organization. This is a personal computer. I am the administator. I have uninstalled all 3rd party virus, firewall or malware programs. What to do next?...
  9. Cannot turn off windows defender.

Cannot turn off windows defender.: My mom and I are in a bit of a pickle here. She teaches science and has attempted to download a few programs onto her computer, but Windows Defender is not allowing her to open it, and often removes the program. I know it's safe because I've used it on my own computer....
  10. Windows Defender Cannot Be Turned Off

Windows Defender Cannot Be Turned Off: As I use a proprietary antirvirus, and on a whim, I just thought to check my Windows Defender setting, only to find to find that it was turned on*. (I could swear I turned it off, sometime in the past. I was further surprised to find that the On/Off button is disabled--so I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. update antivrius online