Windows 10: Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid.

Discus and support Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; First of all, I would like to tell you that I have never ever installed any third party antivirus software. Stating from the begining, Yesterday 20 -... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dhruv KrishnaVaid, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid.

First of all, I would like to tell you that I have never ever installed any third party antivirus software.

Stating from the begining,

Yesterday 20 - July - 2020, I installed an app from outside of Microsoft Store probably a virus, I am not sure because I had scanned the installer before installing it with windows defender, and it found nothing. And after that I had uninstalled it using control panel because I was scared. After the uninstallation of the program, I updated my virus definitions. Before all this i.e. Yesterday at 12:00 p.m. IST, everything was working fine.

I don't know that this is the cause of the application or the update, but I want to fix it because I am feeling very insecure now. Even while writing this post, my hands were shaking. Please help me.

Unable to understand anything, I shut down my laptop. So all the screenshots that I you will see will be of today 21 - July - 2020.

And then I thought of scanning my laptop for viruses. But then, I was shocked to see that Virus protection is turned off. I tried to turn it on manually by Services, but then I found that I had no control over some services... everything was freezed in their properties panel.

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 1f99e3a7-ad48-4841-b7a1-e328b999e21e?upload=true.png

Then I thought of SFC. It found some corrupted files and fixed it.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline

repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

But still I cannot turn Windows Defender on.

Then I thought of Group Policy Editor. Below are the Screenshots of policies.

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. b8630875-1858-4a4b-894d-51f24149940b?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 0787cbc4-40ae-4b30-8142-9b98d0fbef94?upload=true.png

Then I thought of Registry Editor. I have attached the screenshots below.

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 47b95633-b1c2-4cfe-98c8-d021c468b096?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 489510b0-e339-4c75-9122-811a0387cc2e?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. f4092027-23f6-46ec-8b18-036d2128413a?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 73982606-68e1-42be-a64e-b230336a86aa?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. ab79a302-90d6-4daa-ae46-03c4414d2c28?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 3604976f-fda0-416b-9af9-4576c90d81c4?upload=true.png

I thought of starting the service via PowerShell net start "WinDefend". The error message came.

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. c6e5134b-7021-41bf-84e7-43e5b8fa7154?upload=true.png

After trying all this, I tried to turn on Virus Protection, but still that error message came.

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 17d4a401-aa0e-4205-9392-079012f55bdb?upload=true.png

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 4c47401d-085b-4381-b24a-3b7d79771b71?upload=true.png

Please help me, I am very very afraid. And please tell me a solution that will not erase my data, because I have stored all of my childhood memories in this laptop in the form of pictures and videos. I don't want to loose them.

My system specs are:

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. 6415a59e-e111-460b-9272-c994b20b9404?upload=true.png

:)

Dhruv KrishnaVaid, Jul 21, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

How do I turn on Windows defender

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

If there are any third party security software installed, then Windows Defender will get disabled automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it help:

• Open Settings by either clicking on the Settings icon on the Start menu or simultaneously pressing Windows and I keys.
    • Click on Update & Security.
    • Click on Windows Defender, and on the left right side, turn on.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jul 21, 2020
  3. aliu763 Win User
    please i cannot turn on defender in windows 10 and computer is running

Please I cannot turn on windows 10 defender and computer is running very slow

aliu763, Jul 21, 2020
  4. Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid.

Cannot Turn-on Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are facing issue with Windows defender not turning on.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

• Have you installed any anti-virus software?

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check.

Method 1:

Windows Defender won't run if it detects any third party security software on your machine.
    If you have any third party security software installed on your system, please remove that and check the issue.

If issue still persists try method 2,

Method 2:

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + R key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Ashish Sondhi, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid.

1. Cannot turn on Windows Defender... Please tell what to do. I am very afraid. - Similar Threads - Cannot turn Defender

2. please tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  3. please tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  4. What to do am afraid ? That am going to get a god beating after this unfortunate actions of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do am afraid ? That am going to get a god beating after this unfortunate actions of...: I AM A HIGH SCL STUDENT . And today there was a incident and i will explain it. If any of you knows the solution please ... help me out my father is gona beat the **** out of me if he knows this. Listen " i was trying to make a new desktop account and i created it by the name...
  5. What to do am afraid ? That am going to get a god beating after this unfortunate actions of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do am afraid ? That am going to get a god beating after this unfortunate actions of...: I AM A HIGH SCL STUDENT . And today there was a incident and i will explain it. If any of you knows the solution please ... help me out my father is gona beat the **** out of me if he knows this. Listen " i was trying to make a new desktop account and i created it by the name...
  6. What to do am afraid ? That am going to get a god beating after this unfortunate actions of...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. I cannot turn Windows defender on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot turn Windows defender on: I am sorry because of my english was bad, but i hope u guys can understand my problem It happened 2 days ago when i installed a program then it found a trojan. i used windows defender to scan and remove it but after it is removed, my windows defender is somehow forced to...
  8. Can someone please tell me what to do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone please tell me what to do?: I've been banned from Forza horizon 4 and I have deleted all my saves completely for about 3 months and I can't log into Forza support, can someone please tell me anything that might help? Cheers....
  9. Turn on defender please

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn on defender please: I cant turn on my Windows defender, i tried the registry that i find on the web ,still i cant turn it on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-defender-please/9a265aa4-dda6-44e8-b84e-3a2a193b35f0
  10. please i cannot turn on defender in windows 10 and computer is running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    please i cannot turn on defender in windows 10 and computer is running: Please I cannot turn on windows 10 defender and computer is running very slow 104281