Windows 10: Cannot turn on wireless adapter after clean install of Win10

Discus and support Cannot turn on wireless adapter after clean install of Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A couple years ago I upgraded my brother's Lenovo T420 Thinkpad from Win7 to Win10. All went well. No issues at all. Skip to present. For some reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SJMaye, Apr 16, 2019.

1. SJMaye Win User

Cannot turn on wireless adapter after clean install of Win10

A couple years ago I upgraded my brother's Lenovo T420 Thinkpad from Win7 to Win10. All went well. No issues at all. Skip to present. For some reason the system would not boot to Windows. I opted to do a clean install. That went without issue, except now I cannot seem to turn on the wireless adapter / radio.

• Windows Wifi settings radio is ON
    • Checked physical switch on side - ON
    • Checked BIOS - Nothing there
    • Checked Wireless ON/Off function key. They seem to work with other functions. Just do not turn on or off the wireless radio.
    • Went to Intel website and installed latest driver for the adapter
    • Went to Lenovo website. They do not offer Windows 10 support/driver etc for this model. When I try using their automated scanner to select the correct drivers and utilities it locks up. I assume because I am running Win10 and Win10 is not supported.
    • Since the original WIn7 x64 drivers and utilities worked before I was going to manually download and install, but their nomenclature is confusing. Software is listed Thinkpad, Laptop, Desktop, ThinkCentre. This is a Thinkpad laptop. Which do I download?

The bottom line is that the wireless adapter worked fine after upgrade from Win7, but will not turn on since the clean install of Win10.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than tell my brother I broke his laptop *Eek

:)

SJMaye, Apr 16, 2019

2. Wireless Adapter not working

Hi Nabil,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query. We will assist you in resolving your issue.

Method 1:

Step 1: Update network adapter driver from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and click on
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand the Network adapters from the options.
    • Right click on the wireless network card and select Update option.
    • Restart the computer and check if the changes are effective.
    Step 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to uninstall the network adapter driver from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.
    • Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and click on
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand the Network adapters from the options.
    • Right click on the wireless network card and select Uninstall.
    • Restart the computer for automatic installation of network adapters and check if the changes are effective.

Hope this helps !

We are happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 16, 2019
  3. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter will not install from Windows Store (SurfacePro3, Win10)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you facing this issue only with wireless display adapter from the store?

I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Also you may try downloading the “Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter” from the below ink and install it, check if the issue persists or not.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/9wzdncrfjbb1

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 16, 2019
  4. J-Man Win User

Wireless adapter installation.

Hey. I just wanna make this short and sweet. All I wanna know is why I can't install/update wireless adapter drivers on Vista 64 bit but it works on 32 bit? On my wireless adapter box, it doesn't say Vista compatible (only XP and 2000) but if 32 bit Vista works, 64 bit should. Because when I do a fresh install of Vista for an example, all I do is update the driver in device manager then I'm on the net but with 64 bit it don't work. And how can I find out the manufacturer of my wireless adapter? Or brand etc. It came in a BT box, a small one. Just says Wireless USB adapter. I dunno if BT has a driver section.

J-Man, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot turn on wireless adapter after clean install of Win10 - Similar Threads - Cannot turn wireless

2. How to turn on wireless adapter?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn on wireless adapter?: So my keyboard on my laptop broke and i cannot enable the wireless adapter, i tried using the on screen keyboard and going on the control panel, I don’t know what to do...
  3. How to turn on wireless adapter?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn on wireless adapter?: So my keyboard on my laptop broke and i cannot enable the wireless adapter, i tried using the on screen keyboard and going on the control panel, I don’t know what to do...
  4. How to turn on wireless adapter?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot Install USB Wireless Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Install USB Wireless Adapter: This is a custom build done by ecollegepc.com ten years ago. The individual is completely computer illiterate, so I keep it running and updated for her. The wireless N adapter installed on the motherboard has given up the ghost. So, to avoid opening the case and replacing...
  6. Cannot Install USB Wireless Adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Install USB Wireless Adapter: This is a custom build done by ecollegepc.com ten years ago. The individual is completely computer illiterate, so I keep it running and updated for her. The wireless N adapter installed on the motherboard has given up the ghost. So, to avoid opening the case and replacing...
  7. Cannot Install USB Wireless Adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows - Turns off after turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows - Turns off after turning on: I recently re-installed windows 10 and now my Turtle Beach Stealth 600 no longer works, it worked before the reinstall of the same OS. I have the usb Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows and a few seconds after it turns on it shuts itself off along with the wirelessly paired...
  9. Cannot install drivers for Xbox Wireless Adapter.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot install drivers for Xbox Wireless Adapter.: submitted by /u/zack10024 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ek3s0r/cannot_install_drivers_for_xbox_wireless_adapter/
  10. No wireless network after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No wireless network after clean install: I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 home. I can access the internet with an ethernet connection but there is no wireless connection available. In the device manager, under other devices and network controller there is a blue question mark over a white circle,...