Windows 10: Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

Discus and support Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LarryFJr, Aug 6, 2018.

1. LarryFJr Win User

Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is TED Note. With that, I can create the special character (IE: ALT+168 for ¿) and then copy and paste it to Google Chrome or other Windows apps. ALT+Codes do not work in Chrome, Windows Notepad, Wordpad or Internet Explorer 11. It does work in Microsoft Edge and Ted Note.

:)

LarryFJr, Aug 6, 2018

2. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters [​IMG]

Slartybart, Aug 6, 2018
  3. LittleJay Win User
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

Thanks for this PDF file list of special characters! It will come in very handy, *Thumbs

LittleJay, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Edwin Win User

ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List  

I think you're confusing Keyboard Shortcuts and Alternative Typing Characters.

Keyboard Shortcuts substitute UI tasks in place of mouse buttons or gestures, plus much more.

Alt Codes allow you to type 'Alternative Characters' into forms.

Edwin, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters - Similar Threads - Cannot type ALT+###

2. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  3. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  4. Alt short commands not working for special characters?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt short commands not working for special characters?: Hey, so I have this weird thing going on with my keyboard. Suddenly can't type special characters like for example ~, without having to use the numpad number for it, like normally I just press a "normal button" on my keyboard next to the Enter Key. The Ä button on a...
  5. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  6. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  7. Alt codes for special characters not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt codes for special characters not working: I have a new Lenovo Yoga 530 with Windows 10. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on the right hand side. Alt codes for special characters are not working in document apps or any other text input area in a web browser etc. I have done the following but it hasn't worked: 1....
  8. having problem typing special characters @ and "

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    having problem typing special characters @ and ": Just cleaned the keyboard after switching off my laptop. Since then I am having problem typing @ and " characters. May be coincidental. Have checked and the language input is on English (US). Please help...
  9. ALT Characters WON'T type

in Windows 10 Customization
    ALT Characters WON'T type: Hi, I am using a French keyboard (Dell SK-8165). The top numbers row has 12 keys. The firs left key has: #, \ and | characters The second key has: 1, ! and + and - characters The third key has: 2, " and @ characters The fourth key has: 3, / and £ characters The fifth...
  10. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List: How to: ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List How to Type Special Characters with ALT Keyboard Sequences [img] Information Many special characters are available that may not appear on your keyboard. This tutorial will show you how to type special characters using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. notepad

3. windows phone and alt codes