Windows 10: Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

Discus and support Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window. in Cortana to solve the problem; I cannot type anything in the Taskbar Search window or the File Explorer search window. I did a google search and apparently it is a long running... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Odelphi1, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Odelphi1 Win User

Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

I cannot type anything in the Taskbar Search window or the File Explorer search window. I did a google search and apparently it is a long running problem in Windows 10 going back years. I tried all the solutions I found, including solutions in Microsoft Support, short of reinstalling Windows which is out of the question and nothing works permanently I can get it to work once after rebooting, but then it doesn't work again.Thanks

:)

Odelphi1, Nov 12, 2022
  2. Try0x101 Win User

Cortana search filter list

I have a lot of space for display content in Cortana search list, and 80% of it not used because Cortana sorting items by types.
    How disable all filters and make visible all suggested content?

Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window. [​IMG]

Try0x101, Nov 12, 2022
  3. sfcsfcsfc Win User
    File search types in the Windows 10 file explorer search (using words)

Hi

I am trying to find out how I can search for specific files from the File Explorer.

So far, I have found out that you can search for files with specific names if you type "name:<name>" into the search input field.

Were can I find a list of the verbose search commands i.e. a list of the words+column character I should use to search files by other properties than their name?

For example, what should I type if I am trying to list files by file type:

filetype:<whatever>

or

type:<whatever>

or what?

I know that there is a Search toolbar, but I would like to just type the search into the search field to speed up the process. Also, I do not wish to use Cortana et al. I'd just like to use plain simple verbose search....

Thanks

sfcsfcsfc, Nov 12, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

Cortana search not work / Windows search not work / Not indexing

Hi, I suggest you
    a. wait for indexing to be complete
    b. open file explorer at a point in the file hierarchy above a folder you wish to search which has been indexed
    c. type the file name in file explorer's search field
    d. post
    i. Indexing options showing the folder is specified to be indexed
    ii file explorer showing the search text and result
    like this:

Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window. [​IMG]

There you can see H: is indexed; explorer is open at H: ; I'm searching for a file doc-47 ; That's been found in a folder on drive H:

dalchina, Nov 12, 2022
Thema:

1. Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window. - Similar Threads - Cannot type anything

2. Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.: I cannot type anything in the Taskbar Search window or the File Explorer search window. I did a google search and apparently it is a long running problem in Windows 10 going back years. I tried all the solutions I found, including solutions in Microsoft Support, short of...
  3. Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type anything in the Cortana Search window or the File Explorer search window.: I cannot type anything in the Taskbar Search window or the File Explorer search window. I did a google search and apparently it is a long running problem in Windows 10 going back years. I tried all the solutions I found, including solutions in Microsoft Support, short of...
  4. Windows 10 - Cannot type in search bar and file explorer search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Cannot type in search bar and file explorer search: Hey,My windows 10 search bar bottom left and file explorer search bar are both not working properly, I cannot type into these boxes, however, I can copy and paste into them by right click and then paste but NOT by ctrl+v. I have tried many fixes for this but I am yet to find...
  5. Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search

in Cortana
    Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search: I've looked at so many sets of instructions about how to re-enable the search fields in Windows 10 Search and File Explorer. The most useful looking one said to uninstall "Update for Microsoft Windows KB4551762" and gave great directions--almost. That update isn't listed in...
  6. Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.: Just that. I've tried resetting my notebook several times, but it didn't work. How do I fix this? Thanks. submitted by /u/CannedPeas_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m1urbt/cant_type_anything_in_the_file_explorer_search_box/
  7. Cortana and File Explorer search not working!

Cortana and File Explorer search not working!: I'm running windows 10 with latest update (KB4566782). Both Cortana and File Explorer search won't open. I tried the Microsoft powershell script to reset cortana, uninstall update, reinstalling cortana, all services seems to be running correctly. What else could it be?...
  8. Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer: Earlier today while organizing my files all of a sudden when I tried to search that type of file instead of usually typing up the words I need to get a group of the same file, it would highlight the first letter down on my current folder. For example Jack, James, Jermy, etc....
  9. Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box: Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box. Search box is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-anything-in-file-explorer-search-box/b93f647a-cadc-4f4e-b7e2-fd1ac6c87e1c
  10. Cannot type in search box in explorer

Cannot type in search box in explorer: Ever since the last update, search has been acting up. Often I cannot type in the search box in the upper right corner of any open folder. I have to restart to get it working. How to fix? Thanks. submitted by /u/butterballmd [link] [comments]...