Windows 10: Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes

Discus and support Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes in Cortana to solve the problem; This seems to be not uncommon. I did a factory reset of my PC and installed Windows 10 Pro from a recently created USB flash drive - using microsoft's... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by HelpforthePC, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes

This seems to be not uncommon. I did a factory reset of my PC and installed Windows 10 Pro from a recently created USB flash drive - using microsoft's Media Creation Tool, so the Win 10 version is 21H2 from late February 2022.I found the suggestion to run ctfmon.exe in an Administrator Command Prompt window, then it works. But on reboot, often the issue returns.I would like a more permanent solution to this issue - where I cannot type in the Search Box, or on any Sticky Notes- but I can cut & paste to use them. What gives?HELP!!!

:)

HelpforthePC, Mar 7, 2022

2. the sticky note application.

Hi,

Sticky Notes is one of the default programs for Windows 10. Type Sticky Notes in the search box, then press enter. If you are encountering an error opening Sticky Notes, we recommend resetting the application. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Apps, then Apps & features in the left pane.
    • Locate Sticky Notes, then click Advanced options.
    • Click Reset.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Mar 7, 2022
  3. sticky notes

Was this the WIndows 10 Upgrade from WIndows 7, 8 or 8.1?

Check now for a C:\Windows.old folder that is created during an Upgrade. If that folder is found, you can

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 10
    and then follow the steps here:

• To backup sticky notes in Windows 10/8.1/8/7:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in the windows.old folder Search box.

STEP 2. Copy StickyNotes.snt to a safe location.

• To restore sticky notes:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in start menu search box or run and press Enter.

STEP 2. Copy the StickyNotes.snt file from your backup folder and paste it in the folder that opens. Agree to overwrite the old file, or delete it first before copying. If it balks then install and use the

Take Ownership Shortcut
    on the folder so you can replace the .snt file.

If you don't have Windows.old folder, do you have a backup image of your old install which we can help you mount to browse into the old files?

If not then your notes may be lost. In the future use Notepad or Wordpad which can more easily save Files to your Documents, or back up the Sticky Notes file regularly following the above.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 7, 2022
  4. Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes

Can't type in search bar or sticky notes

Hi Helen,

It's quite unusual because based on your description, you have multiple laptops and you can't use the Search and Sticky Notes. In this case, since this is happening on all of your device, then we suggest is that you try to reset the Sticky Notes app. Just
    simply go to Settings, select Apps, look for
    Sticky Notes
    under the Apps & features tab, click Sticky Notes to open the
    Advanced options, then click Reset.

Now, to troubleshoot the issue with Search, you can run the
    Search and Indexing Troubleshooter

Just follow these steps on how to run the troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X, on the keyboard then click
      Control Panel.
    • Under the Control Panel tab, click Troubleshooting. If you can't see that option, click on
      View by to change the icons.
    • Click on Search and Indexing Troubleshooter, then run the tool.

Let us know the outcome.

Marque Lor, Mar 7, 2022
Thema:

Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes

1. Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes - Similar Threads - Cannot type Search

2. Not able to type in sticky notes in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to type in sticky notes in windows 10: Hello,Sometimes, the stick notes app does not allow to type but copy and paste works.After re-opening the app it works again.Stick notes v6.0.2.0...
  3. Not able to type in sticky notes in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to type in sticky notes in windows 10: Hello,Sometimes, the stick notes app does not allow to type but copy and paste works.After re-opening the app it works again.Stick notes v6.0.2.0...
  4. Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Cortana
    Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes: Hi,On Windows 10 21H2 - current 4/25/2022History1 sticky notes not running usually leave open so probably auto rebooted and didn't restart? 2 started sticky notes - notes opened but can't type in them. I can type in Notes and in Browser Windows.3 Reset Sticky Notes through...
  5. Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes: Hi,On Windows 10 21H2 - current 4/25/2022History1 sticky notes not running usually leave open so probably auto rebooted and didn't restart? 2 started sticky notes - notes opened but can't type in them. I can type in Notes and in Browser Windows.3 Reset Sticky Notes through...
  6. Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

7. Problems with typing in Task Bar Seqrch Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Cortana
    Problems with typing in Task Bar Seqrch Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes: Hi,On Windows 10 21H2 - current 4/25/2022History1 sticky notes not running usually leave open some probably auto rebooted and didn't restart? 2 started sticky notes - notes opened but can't type in them. I can type in Notes and in Browser Windows.3 Reset Sticky Notes through...
  8. Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes: This seems to be not uncommon. I did a factory reset of my PC and installed Windows 10 Pro from a recently created USB flash drive - using microsoft's Media Creation Tool, so the Win 10 version is 21H2 from late February 2022.I found the suggestion to run ctfmon.exe in an...
  9. Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes

Cannot type in Search Box of Windows 10, or use Sticky Notes: This seems to be not uncommon. I did a factory reset of my PC and installed Windows 10 Pro from a recently created USB flash drive - using microsoft's Media Creation Tool, so the Win 10 version is 21H2 from late February 2022.I found the suggestion to run ctfmon.exe in an...
  10. Cannot type in search box

in Cortana
    Cannot type in search box: Hello all, The "improved" search box in Windows 10 v. 1909 is broken. 1) It shows one character at a time. - If I type "pdf" it displays "p" then only "d" then only "f". 2) Then it displays a box character (see picture below). 3) Clicking the arrow button does nothing...