Windows 10: Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start

Discus and support Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start in Cortana to solve the problem; April 17 2022. Windows 10 v 21H2.Cannot type in search bar/window on bottom left.Have tried every YoutUBe and Windows recommended thing.Like restarting... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by BR-2018, Apr 17, 2022.

1. BR-2018 Win User

Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start

April 17 2022. Windows 10 v 21H2.Cannot type in search bar/window on bottom left.Have tried every YoutUBe and Windows recommended thing.Like restarting Cortana, restarting Windows Search Service, and thenfocused on ctfmon.exeC:\windows\system32\ctfmone.exe does not appear to run, I cannot start it, and it does not error.Spent 2 hours so far today on simply getting the ability to enter letters into the search on bottom left of screen.Also tried a very long and complicated Powershell command that did nothing at all.So after stitching together several YouTube videos', several Microsoft WIndows fo

:)

BR-2018, Apr 17, 2022
  2. Xylee Del Win User

ctfmon

Hello,

Ctfmon is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar. It’s how you can control the computer via speech or a pen tablet, or using the onscreen keyboard inputs for asian languages. If you are using any of the mentioned
    tasks, you should leave it enabled. Since you've already tried removing it at the task manager, we suggest that you follow the steps below to disable ctfmon.exe:

• Open Settings by clicking the Windows icon.
    • At the Settings window, type in Administrative tools and select it.
    • At the Administrative tools window, click Services.
    • At the services window, look for Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel service, set this to disabled and stop the service. This will disable the ability to use the onscreen keyboard.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Apr 17, 2022
  3. Jen.Q Win User
    start typing to search

Hi PaulPChou,

I'm Jen a Microsoft customer like you and an Independent Advisor here to help. Here are the things that you can do to troubleshoot Windows search.

Restart Windows search service

- Press the Windows button and letter R

- Type Services.msc in the Run dialog box

- Scroll down from the list and locate Windows search

- Right-click on it and select Restart

- Restart the computer and check if Windows search is working

You can also check this article and perform the suggested troubleshooting steps. Do the troubleshooting steps one by one and check if it fixes the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/452014...

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Jen

Jen.Q, Apr 17, 2022
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Apr 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start - Similar Threads - Cannot type Search

2. Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start: April 17 2022. Windows 10 v 21H2.Cannot type in search bar/window on bottom left.Have tried every YoutUBe and Windows recommended thing.Like restarting Cortana, restarting Windows Search Service, and thenfocused on ctfmon.exeC:\windows\system32\ctfmone.exe does not appear to...
  3. Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in Search window 10 version:21H2 ctfmon will not start: April 17 2022. Windows 10 v 21H2.Cannot type in search bar/window on bottom left.Have tried every YoutUBe and Windows recommended thing.Like restarting Cortana, restarting Windows Search Service, and thenfocused on ctfmon.exeC:\windows\system32\ctfmone.exe does not appear to...
  4. Cannot upgrade to version 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upgrade to version 21H2: I tried to update but after it said install 100% it rebooted and gave error 0x800f081f https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-upgrade-to-version-21h2/fc0b922d-6f59-49a9-91b8-e7bdd0efbee0
  5. Cannot upgrade to version 21H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot upgrade to version 21H2: I tried to update but after it said install 100% it rebooted and gave error 0x800f081f https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-upgrade-to-version-21h2/fc0b922d-6f59-49a9-91b8-e7bdd0efbee0
  6. Cannot upgrade to version 21H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...: I have an unusual issue where I cannot type anything into Windows search boxes. Specifically the built in 'Search' in the explorer windows, and the 'Start' menu search doesn't show when typing. However I can search in the Control Panel. Also, to confound this issue further...
  8. start typing to search

in Windows 10 Customization
    start typing to search: hi Microsoft: I like to know that I do not have start typing to search on my start menu in Windows 10 2004 as in here, https://i3g4v6w8.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/start-typing-search-windows-10-20h1.jpg. Where can I get that on mine?...
  9. Windows 10 "Cannot type in Search bar"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 "Cannot type in Search bar": I had to reset Windows 10 then install all updates. Now I cannot type in the search bar. I have to select the Windows icon then type. I tried several fixes found here in the forum for same issue but nothing worked....
  10. Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box: Hi all, I have an HP 15-DW0046NR laptop with Intel 8265U processor and 8GB RAM. Windows version is Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build 10.0.18363.535 (Nov 2019 Update). The problem is that since I received the update the other day the search box is "dead". By...