Windows 10: Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

Discus and support Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello. This has been an issue for me for a while now, and I've gotten sick of ignoring it. As the title states, I'm unable to type in the start menu,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sunugly, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

Hello. This has been an issue for me for a while now, and I've gotten sick of ignoring it. As the title states, I'm unable to type in the start menu, cortana, or anywhere in Settings/System info. However, I CAN type in Windows Explorer, cmd, run, and nearly everything else.

It's not a hardware issue, as I've also tried to type using the on-screen keyboard. I've dug deep into every online article about fixing this by restarting cortana or windows explorer, running commands through command prompt, etc. and nothing has worked. Any advice or similar experience is appreciated! Windows troubleshooting and free support has been useless.

Computer Info:

Windows 10 Pro

OS Build 18362

submitted by /u/sunugly
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sunugly, Mar 30, 2020

2. Can't type in Cortana search box

Hi Brendon,

Is you keyboard working normally on other apps such as Notepad? If not, run the built in troubleshooter for your keyboard. Here are the steps:

• Type Troubleshoot in the Search box and press
      Enter.
    • Look for and run the Keyboard troubleshooter.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.
    In the mean time, we suggest that you refer to the link below for actions that you can perform to troubleshoot issues with the Start menu or Cortana:

Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rolando Vil, May 25, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 25, 2020
  4. Try0x101 Win User

Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

Cortana search filter list

I have a lot of space for display content in Cortana search list, and 80% of it not used because Cortana sorting items by types.
    How disable all filters and make visible all suggested content?

Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc. [​IMG]

Try0x101, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

1. Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc. - Similar Threads - Cannot type Start

2. I cannot type type in windows apps Microsoft Store, Cortana, Settings, etc. or the Search Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot type type in windows apps Microsoft Store, Cortana, Settings, etc. or the Search Bar: In an update, I could not type anywhere, period, but using search and indexing fixed the problem enough to allow me to type in everything except for Microsoft apps. I cannot install apps because I cannot use the Microsoft Store. I also cannot type into the dialog box...
  3. I cannot type type in windows apps Microsoft Store, Cortana, Settings, etc. or the Search Bar

in Cortana
    I cannot type type in windows apps Microsoft Store, Cortana, Settings, etc. or the Search Bar: In an update, I could not type anywhere, period, but using search and indexing fixed the problem enough to allow me to type in everything except for Microsoft apps. I cannot install apps because I cannot use the Microsoft Store.Here are all of the "solutions" I have tried...
  4. I cannot type type in windows apps Microsoft Store, Cortana, Settings, etc. or the Search Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot type type in windows apps Microsoft Store, Cortana, Settings, etc. or the Search Bar: In an update, I could not type anywhere, period, but using search and indexing fixed the problem enough to allow me to type in everything except for Microsoft apps. I cannot install apps because I cannot use the Microsoft Store.Here are all of the "solutions" I have tried...
  5. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  6. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  7. Cannot type in search bar next to Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot type in search bar next to Start menu: I am unable to use the search bar next to the Start menu in Windows 10 because it will not accept characters when I try to type. It was working a few days ago. I have tried every fix I could find, and spent hours trying to fix it with no results....
  8. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  9. Cannot change Start Menu results color? (aka Cortana search)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Start Menu results color? (aka Cortana search): Using the Dark theme. Problem is, when I press the Start Button and start typing anything, it all turns bright (white/light gray). Issue is described perfectly here: How to change color of search menu in Start to black? I tried the suggestions there (region change /...
  10. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451