Windows 10: Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

Discus and support Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BlackFrieza, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for android and some virtualisation stuff. After restarting for those updates, the type and search issue start. I tried uninstalling the subsystem, some other recent update, running diagnostics, creating a new user, running some command in power shell, disabling some tasks in the task manager but none of them seems to work. It

:)

BlackFrieza, Sep 30, 2022
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Sep 30, 2022
  3. File Explorer/Quick Access

I recently started having a problem with File Explorer and Quick Access. When I start my computer, all works fine but then gradually the files as listed in File Explorer and Quick Access start to disappear and soon there are none present. I need to
    restart and again they are there but also again they start to disappear. Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestion to correct? Thanks/

Moved from: Windows 10 / Ease of access / PC

William L Hurley, Sep 30, 2022
  4. Xi Zhuang Win User

Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Windows 10 version 20h2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open file explorer

2. type something in search box

3. clear search box

4. click search box again, you will see a drop down list showing recent search history

5. click the Quick access which is located at the top of file explorer Navigation pane

6. click search box again, it does not show the history list anymore

I have to close file explorer and open it again to get the search history back.

Xi Zhuang, Sep 30, 2022
Thema:

Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

1. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot type start

2. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  3. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  4. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  6. Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer: Hi, I'm unable to search my computer files when I press the windows key and type, like I usually do. Even when I right click the windows icon in the bottom right corner and click search, nothing shows up on screen when I type on my keyboard. Additionally, when I go into the...
  7. Search in file explorer from start menu opens and then quickly closes

in Windows 10 Support
    Search in file explorer from start menu opens and then quickly closes: Hello, In windows 10 V21H1 I am trying to do a text search from the start menu. I hit start, type a few characters, click "Documents" along the top and then click "search in file explorer". This very quickly opens up a file explorer window which then immediately closes. My...
  8. Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...: I have an unusual issue where I cannot type anything into Windows search boxes. Specifically the built in 'Search' in the explorer windows, and the 'Start' menu search doesn't show when typing. However I can search in the Control Panel. Also, to confound this issue further...
  9. Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.: Hello. This has been an issue for me for a while now, and I've gotten sick of ignoring it. As the title states, I'm unable to type in the start menu, cortana, or anywhere in Settings/System info. However, I CAN type in Windows Explorer, cmd, run, and nearly everything else....
  10. File Explorer Quick Access Menu not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Quick Access Menu not working: Hi, I accidentally destroyed my quick access menu inside the file explorer: Quick Access does not contain anything [ATTACH] Some registry folder I found on the internet which might something to do with it [ATTACH] What happens if I try to add a folder [ATTACH] The...