Windows 10: Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu

Discus and support Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana, running ctfmon.exe, SFC scannow, and DISM, but none of it has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aaronth07, Dec 22, 2019.

1. aaronth07 Win User

Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu

I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana, running ctfmon.exe, SFC scannow, and DISM, but none of it has worked. I have also tried creating a new user account to see if it was an issue with my account specifically, but the new account also has the issue. This issue only started when Windows 10 automatically restarted and installed an update.

Just to clarify more, I can type in other UWP apps (at least I can in settings, I can't test any other apps). Also searchui.exe is not on my computer (for example, when trying reference the process through CLI or using run).

Version: 1809 (17763.914)

:)

aaronth07, Dec 22, 2019

2. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

1. Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu - Similar Threads - Cannot Type Start

2. The keyboard cannot type in the start menu. How can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The keyboard cannot type in the start menu. How can I fix this?: My keyboard works in all situations except in the start menu and taskbar search. The on-screen keyboard also fails in the same way. This issue started after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 version 22H2. I have tried restarting the computer, updating and reinstalling the...
  3. The keyboard cannot type in the start menu. How can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The keyboard cannot type in the start menu. How can I fix this?: My keyboard works in all situations except in the start menu and taskbar search. The on-screen keyboard also fails in the same way. This issue started after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 version 22H2. I have tried restarting the computer, updating and reinstalling the...
  4. I cant type in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cant type in start menu: I have strange issue where I cant type on the start menu. I can type in the search icon beside the start menu but when I open the start menu itself and start typing nothing happens. How is this possible?...
  5. Cannot type in search bar next to Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot type in search bar next to Start menu: I am unable to use the search bar next to the Start menu in Windows 10 because it will not accept characters when I try to type. It was working a few days ago. I have tried every fix I could find, and spent hours trying to fix it with no results....
  6. Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps: Hello, I am unable to type in the search bar in start menu when I click search icon or when I disable the search icon and type directly to the Start menu. In Mail app I also can not type anything. However, I am typing this question using the exact same laptop, so the...
  7. Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.: Hello. This has been an issue for me for a while now, and I've gotten sick of ignoring it. As the title states, I'm unable to type in the start menu, cortana, or anywhere in Settings/System info. However, I CAN type in Windows Explorer, cmd, run, and nearly everything else....
  8. Cant type in start menu

Cant type in start menu: Hello, whenever I start my computer, I can't search anything on the start menu, but when I do C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe on the run thing, it works. Aside from that, I'm seeing problems on my windows such as a lot of apps will just immediately close when I try to open it,...
  9. Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu

Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu: I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana, running ctfmon.exe, SFC scannow, and DISM, but none of it has worked. I have also tried creating a new user account to see if it was an issue with my account specifically, but the new account...
  10. Can't type in start menu?

Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot type in start menu