Windows 10: Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For the past few months when using the Windows Explorer File Manager after opening it I cannot type multiple characters to jump to the section of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jgt, Sep 24, 2020.

1. JGT
    jgt Win User

Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer

For the past few months when using the Windows Explorer File Manager after opening it I cannot type multiple characters to jump to the section of interest. Example:

1. I open the Windows Explorer File Manager and go to my Documents folder R:\Libraries\Documents where I have over 200 folders.
    2. Now I desire to open the "R:\Libraries\Documents\Receipts & Confirmations" but it is way down the list, in the past if I typed "re" without the quotes the view would change and I'd see the first folder where the name started with "re".
    3. Today if I type "re", the view bounces to the first folder that starts with "r" and immediately then bounces to the first folder that starts with "e".

I'm running Win10 Pro x64 with the latest updates.

:)

2. tracy2016 Win User

Where can I get the candidate characters while typing in traditional characters?

I am trying to type in Traditional Chinese, but the candidate list does not show at all!

It is impossible to type two keys as you suggested. Is there any way I could type in traditional characters as I do in simplified characters?

Can you help me solve this problem? Many thanks.

tracy2016, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot type multiple

2. File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11: Hi Team, When I want to search my file in File Explorer I notice some of the characters are deleted. It only happens in the search File Explorer only....
  3. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  4. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  5. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  6. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  7. Type a Unicode Character

in Windows 10 Support
    Type a Unicode Character: Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one. For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return...
  8. Typing characters issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Typing characters issue: Why does my laptop keyboard type different characters than what is intended? It only does it occasionally like tpis. <---example: p for h Rigpt now I'm using Cprome. I go to MS Edge and it is fine. I go to MS Excel, Word, it is normal. I pave to close everytping and...
  9. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters: This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is...
  10. Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates: I use Windows 10 and Office 2016 I have admin privilege in my Dell laptop. I was able to type in Japanese until I have forced to run Windows updates on 6/30/18. I went to Japan right after that and came back today and noticed that I am no longer able to type letters in...