Windows 10: Cannot UEFI boot on another drive

Discus and support Cannot UEFI boot on another drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am using a laptop with 2 drives. Lets call them Disk0 and Disk1. On both disk I have installed windows pro. I thought i could simply tell in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jbesclapez, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Cannot UEFI boot on another drive

Hello,

I am using a laptop with 2 drives. Lets call them Disk0 and Disk1.
    On both disk I have installed windows pro.
    I thought i could simply tell in the BIOS on which drive to boot but it did not work like that, so I decided to install AIOBoot and Clover on a Fat32 partition on Disk1. It helped me switch from one windows to another. Each time I was telling the AIOBoot to change the bootloader from Disk0 to 1 or 1 to 0 depending on what i needed.
    Recently I decided to encrypt disk0. It was stupid as I did not think about the clover bootloader - Clover did not see the disk0 anymore. Then I could not boot. I used a USB key to boot on the encrypted drive and decided to stop the encryption.
    Now I do not know what hapened but I am struggling to boot into the other disk1 and I get a bluescreen with an error of wdfilter.sys
    However I can still boot on the disk1. No idea why.
    Is there a way to have the disk1 booting. Is it a simple error because of wdfilter.sys?

:)

jbesclapez, Jan 20, 2019

2. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Jan 20, 2019
  3. dark2099 Win User
    AsRock Z77 Pro3 - AHCI? UEFI?

UEFI is a new standard of bios design, so that would probably be what the BIOS has listed as the first boot option, where ACHI is a mode that SATA controllers run, and that is probably listing drives by order of first to last by port order. Not sure why it would list that way (if my guess is right as to how/why it is listing the drives).

dark2099, Jan 20, 2019
  4. Cannot UEFI boot on another drive

Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

Cannot UEFI boot on another drive

1. Cannot UEFI boot on another drive - Similar Threads - Cannot UEFI boot

2. Windows 11 specs - Cannot see boot drive when changing from Legacy/UEFI to UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 11 specs - Cannot see boot drive when changing from Legacy/UEFI to UEFI: Hi!I've been trying to make my PC Windows 11 ready. I have enabled TPM2.0 and UEFI in the BIOS. However, when I enable UEFI, my boot SSD is no longer available from the list of bootable devices in the BIOS. Meaning I can no longer boot into windows 10 when UEFI is enabled....
  3. Windows 11 specs - Cannot see boot drive when changing from Legacy/UEFI to UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 specs - Cannot see boot drive when changing from Legacy/UEFI to UEFI: Hi!I've been trying to make my PC Windows 11 ready. I have enabled TPM2.0 and UEFI in the BIOS. However, when I enable UEFI, my boot SSD is no longer available from the list of bootable devices in the BIOS. Meaning I can no longer boot into windows 10 when UEFI is enabled....
  4. Windows 11 specs - Cannot see boot drive when changing from Legacy/UEFI to UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive: Hello! So I I just got a new SSD and everything is installed but then I installed ubuntu on my previous main drive and now there's no options or way to get into windows 10. I have an MSI motherboard and it's boot options are not great IMHO. - I Already had this working but...
  6. Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot

Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot: I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G and was using the new PC Health Check application by Microsoft which has the new option to check if my computer is compatible for Windows 11. It's not, and it mentions the problem is that Secure Boot is not enabled.When I try to switch in BIOS...
  7. UEFI Drive/Boot problem

UEFI Drive/Boot problem: My W10 system WAS running fine (Gigabyte Mobo) with a UEFI SSD boot drive UNTIL I had a problem where I lost all boot. I think it was a SATA cable problem, but it is now resolved. HOWEVER, in the process I no longer boot in UEFI, but into Win Boot Manager. UEFI is selected in...
  8. Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI: I’m using a Dell i3670 purchased new a few months ago. Win10 and EUFI are factory installed. The computer runs fine. How can I boot/restore using an image file on a flash drive? With BIOS/MBR, it was easy. I changed the boot order so the flash drive was checked first. If a...
  9. UEFI BOOT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  10. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...