Windows 10: Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account

Discus and support Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I am unable to unlink my personal Microsoft account from the local account on the computer I am using, for some reason the option that would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ryan P_420, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account

Hello, I am unable to unlink my personal Microsoft account from the local account on the computer I am using, for some reason the option that would usually be there is just non existent as shown on the picture below. I'm using the latest windows 1909 build as well if anyone was wondering.

Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account 64d9b9bb-8909-454c-92a1-c89fb10f97fa?upload=true.png

:)

Ryan P_420, Feb 10, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Unable to unlink MS account back to local

Did you clean install Windows, or is that a new computer which came with pre-installed Windows 10, or possibly did you upgrade from Windows 7?

This must be your case but needs to be eliminated as the cause: I have only seen option to switch to local account missing two or three times, all of them had the same background: User had upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 which was used the built-in administrator account being the only user account. Users had activated the built-in admin account, changed it's name and used it as their normal user account "to get full control".

Using built-in admin account as normal user account was fully possible in Windows 7 and although it's an extremely bad idea, many users did that. The problem is the upgrade to Windows 10; upgrade process accepts the user account used to start the upgrade as is, not questioning or notifying it being the built-in admin account. When upgrade is done this account will be the default account making using Windows difficult as no UWP apps will work.

When this account is then accidentally or on purpose switched to Microsoft Account it is impossible to switch back to local account. Notice that this issue as described above is only possible when upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 using built-in admin account, a clean installed Windows 10 does not allow built-in admin to be switched to Microsoft account.

To eliminate the above scenario, upgrade from 7 done with built-in admin account as the reason for your issue could you please post a screenshot of your Local Users and Groups control panel. To do this press WIN + R and type lusrmgr.msc in Run dialog, click OK. Double click Users on middle pane:

Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account [​IMG]

Now take a screenshot and post here, see example:

3. airway38 Win User

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's definitely a Microsoft account. Here is the photo showing the no option to change back to a local account.

airway38, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account

My admin account switched to a user account!

Unfortunately that is not possible. Microsoft provide no mechanism to do so because it shouldn't be possible to link the built in Administrator account in the first place - except that it can happen under a specific limited set of circumstances....

If that is indeed the case here, then a clean install is the only remedy.

Thema:

Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account

1. Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account - Similar Threads - Cannot unlink Microsoft

2. Cannot convert from local account to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot convert from local account to Microsoft account: I have multiple computers and on one of them there is no option to convert from local account to Microsoft account.All of the computers are running the latest version of Windows 10:Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎2/‎5/‎2021 OS build 19043.1237 Experience...
  3. Unlinking my local administrator account from my Microsoft online account.

Unlinking my local administrator account from my Microsoft online account.: I was forced by some Microsoft Store purchase to login to my Online Account in order for the Microsoft Store to install some apps that weren't installing off a user account. Without advising me that my admin account will change and I will lose access to resources created...
  4. Cannot separate Microsoft account from my local PC account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot separate Microsoft account from my local PC account: My brother recently used his Microsoft account on my PC, which until then only had a local account. I wanted to remove it earlier, but there was no option to do so. I've so far come to understand that this Microsoft account is now tied to my local account and I cannot remove...
  5. Windows 10 - Cannot unlink Mirosoft account from Local Account

Windows 10 - Cannot unlink Mirosoft account from Local Account: My Mum has a Windows 10 v1902 laptop that she has used a local account on. Unfortunately, my son signed into the XBox Companion app on her machine with his Microsoft account and now I have a 60+ year old being asked to have her parent unlock her machine if she wants to go...
  6. How to unlink a Microsoft account from Local windows account?

How to unlink a Microsoft account from Local windows account?: I have a work pc with windows 10. There is no domain but my local account is associated with my work O365 profile. A LOT of stuff is installed and configured under my current account which is an administrator. So I cant delete my account or reinstall windows. I needed to...
  7. Unlink Microsoft Account from Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unlink Microsoft Account from Local Account: I have been using my computer without a linked Microsoft account on the main local account (this one has different settings compared to any other accounts I create) and I recently signed into a Microsoft app (specifically the Xbox app) to be able to use the game bar. This...
  8. Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???: This is crazy. I linked my local Administrator account (which has been active since Windows 7, then I upgraded to Windows 10) to my Microsoft account. I only did this because Microsoft said it would be easier when changing hardware (montherboard died) to re-establish my...
  9. How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?: Hello, I have what appears to be a common problem, as far as I can see, from searching about this issue but also one without a good resolution. I have a Windows 10 laptop. I am a local administrator and up until yesterday, there was no Microsoft account associated with...
  10. admin accounts (local or Microsoft?)

admin accounts (local or Microsoft?): Hi I have used Win 10 since it came out and in general, I'm happy with it. Is there a difference in system access rights given to a local account administrator as compared to an Microsoft account based logon to an admin account? The reason I ask is that I only have one log...