Windows 10: Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off

Discus and support Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have data on an Seagate external usb drive containing files saved from my work computer. Bitlocker is not enabled on the external drive nor the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobRast1, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BobRast1 Win User

Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off

I have data on an Seagate external usb drive containing files saved from my work computer. Bitlocker is not enabled on the external drive nor the onboard drives.

I've plugged it into my Dell Inspirion 15 7000 gaming laptop. I can open/transfer most folders and files. However, when I try to open or transfer MyDocuments/MyPictures files and folders, I get "administrator permission required" and "access denied" once I click continue. MyDocuments

I've tried taking ownership and change access permissions using my regular laptop login account, created a new local account regardless of whether I attempt to change advanced security, the folders and files are still locked.

Security properties show "Everyone," the "local" and "adminstrators" accounts have full permissions.

I tried to change ownership again using Advanced Security Settings> Select Users and Groups > Advanced Change owner and FIND NOW shows a list of accounts ranging from administrator(s) to Power User through Everyone, SYSTEM and WDAGUtilityAccount.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bob

:)

BobRast1, Jan 18, 2019

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jan 18, 2019
  3. Viruzz Win User
    HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Jan 18, 2019
  4. Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

more clear
    0down voteaccepted
    I managed to figure out how to fix this. It doesn't use the native auto-unlock function like I was hoping (rather a script that unlocks using a .BEK file, as I mentioned) but it seems to work just as well.

First, you need to create a .BEK file that can unlock the disk. This is the command I used:

manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rk c:\

Substitute d: with whichever drive you want to auto-unlock. The output will look something like this (take note of the "external key file name"):

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Key Protectors Added:

Saved to directory c:\

External Key:
    ID: {9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551}
    External Key File Name:
    9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551.BEK

Now you need to create the script to unlock the drive. Just create a batch file in the root directory with the following line:

manage-bde -unlock d: -rk C:\[external key filename]

Again, replace d: with the correct drive letter. Replace [external key filename] with the filename you got before.

Finally, you need to tell Windows to run this script at startup, before you log in. (Or at least I needed it to run then, because that's where my desktop, etc. are stored.) Here's how you do that:

• Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc. (This is only in Pro, but so is BitLocker, so that's not an issue here.)

• On the left, navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

• Double-click "Startup" on the right

• Click "Add..." and select the batch file you created before.

• Click OK and exit Group Policy Editor.
    Now you can reboot the computer to test it. You should see your drive automatically unlocked

Rafa anabe, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off

1. Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off - Similar Threads - Cannot Unlock Files

2. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Unlock BitLocked drives: Hi.I am just seeking some advice for the following desired implementation for encrypting drives and doing backups.I have a set of 5 USB external drives, which I have encrypted using BitLocker on a Windows 10 PC.All these drives have the same drive label, which is required for...
  3. Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive: Hi, I am using win10 enterprise 20h2. I am trying to enable protection for USB drives through the settings that make a drive read only if not encrypted by Bitlocker. This is supposed to offer a pop-up to enable Bitlocker for the drive if you're an administrator on the...
  4. Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker: Hello, I got a new laptop Dell g3 3500 which has a windows installed on it Jan and few days ago it crashed regarding a new update from Microsoft and I couldn't open it again, So I installed another windows and of course all the data on drive C removed formatted, when I...
  5. Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker: Dears, Could you please provide me with the Microsoft support Email to be able to find a solution with them regarding my critical problem. Thanks...
  6. Cannot read files on unlocked bitlocker usb thumbdrive

Cannot read files on unlocked bitlocker usb thumbdrive: Hi, I am trying to adapt to the new security restrictions put together by my company which means that all external devices harddrive or thumbdrives need to be bitlocker encrypted to receive files from my computer. However I am faced with a problem after encrypting on a...
  7. Cannot format USB external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot format USB external drive.: I used a 32GB external USB drive to run a linux distro off. This worked fine but when I wanted to reformat the USB to be used as a normal storage device, it did not appear in the 'Devices and Drivers' part of File Explorer. I attempted to use Disk Management, which it...
  8. Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock: I have two PCs, one with Windows Pro and one with Windows Home You can only set up and configure Bitlocker on Pro. I have an external SSD which I encrypted with Bitlocker. I selected the Auto Unlock feature when connecting the SSD to my Windows Home PC, and as you can't...
  9. there is way to unlock the bitlocker drive

in Windows 10 Support
    there is way to unlock the bitlocker drive: hello i reset my bios setting then i re enter the internal drive (g) to open iitit as i save my documents inside but i think i forget my password or the reset bios mybe do some thing to my pass because i was not use my pc scince 1 year so i forget what is the problem *Sad i...
  10. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go: Hey All, Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption. I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. When I unlock my files with BitLocker my external hard drive crashes