Windows 10: Cannot unlock my encrypted drive

Discus and support Cannot unlock my encrypted drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dears, I installed a windows last Jan and few days ago it crashed and I couldn't to open it again, So I installed another windows and of course all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ahmedsellou, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Cannot unlock my encrypted drive

Dears,

I installed a windows last Jan and few days ago it crashed and I couldn't to open it again,
    So I installed another windows and of course all the data on drive C removed,
    when I check drive D which contains all my important data i found it locked and asked me to enter 48-digits to unlock it,
    After a lot of search i found that i can get my recovery key from my Microsoft account https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey?refd=login.live.com
    but all i found the recovery key for the new windows which i installed new,

So i want to unlock my drive as it is critical for me

:)

ahmedsellou, Apr 9, 2021

2. Can't unlock Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

I have a Bitlocker encrypted external HDD without any OS installed in it. I plugged it to pc with usb then i unlocked my drive on Win10 with my password as usual then i was copying the data from my unlocked
    Bitlocker encrypted drive to another non-encrypted drive. Then power cut suddenly. After that i can't access my Bitlocker encrypted drive anymore.

-When i try to unlock that drive from Windows Explorer pop-up says "Encryption on this drive is not compatible with your Windows. Try to unlock it with newer version of Windows." without password and recoverypassword/recoverykey
    input options. But my Win10 is fully updated (1703)

-Tried Win7 popup came without asking any password "Failed to unlock the drive. No protector keys found in this drive."

-I also tried manage-bde -bitlockerdrive -protectors -get the output is "ERROR: No key protectors found". But drive seems like encrypted already.

-I tried repair-bde with 48 digits recovery password for recovering data to another HDD. Recovery done without any errors. Then did "chkdsk
    outputdrive: /f" it says "File system is NTFS. The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt. Reading second NTFS boot sector instead. Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted." The disk shown as RAW and i can't access it.

-After that i also tried thirdparty recovery tools for recovering data on the drive that created after repair-bde (decrypted RAW one). I recovered all my files without any corruption. But all of them shown
    as RAW files and had randomized names without folder structure. Somehow repair-bde can't transfer folder structure. I tried thirdparty recovery tools on unaccessable Bitlocker encrypted drive. It listed all my files with correct file names and folders. So
    folder structure on encrypted drive is not corrupted i think but i can't recover them because they are encrypted and i can't open any file. I need folder structure, my files are too dispersed. What is the solution ? Thanks.

cem.albayrak, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Failure to unlock BitLocker encrypted HD after new windows 10 installation

Hello Kostas,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your
    operating system drive (the drive where Windows is installed), a
    fixed data drive (such as an internal hard drive), or a
    removable data drive
    (such as a USB flash drive).

The way you unlock an encrypted drive depends on two things:

• What kind of drive it is.
    • What kind of unlock method you chose when you set up BitLocker on the drive.
    I suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps.

Unlock a BitLocker-protected drive

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 9, 2021
  4. Cannot unlock my encrypted drive

Windows 10 automatically locks the unlocked BitLocker encrypted USB drive

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my issue. First of all, there is no "turn off auto bit lock", but there is "turn off auto-unlock" or "turn on auto-unlock", and my settings show "auto-unlock" is turned off. Secondly, I don't want my
    USB drive to "auto-unlock", but I do want it to stay "unlocked" after I manually unlock it. However, the problem I am having now is that when I unlock the USB drive and open a file, then after being idle for a while, Windows will automatically lock the drive,
    so I cannot save the changes I have made to the file until I unlock the drive again.

Penguin360, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Cannot unlock my encrypted drive

1. Cannot unlock my encrypted drive - Similar Threads - Cannot unlock encrypted

2. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  3. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  4. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bit Locker encrypted USB drive will not unlock

Bit Locker encrypted USB drive will not unlock: I encrypted a Cruzer Blade USB drive using Windows 10 Pro and neither the password I created, nor the generated recovery key will unlock it despite the key indicator being correct...
  6. Unlock drive prompt on drive that wasn't encrypted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlock drive prompt on drive that wasn't encrypted: I have an external hard drive, with a USB 3.0 interface that I have been using for a while, but I never encrypted it with Bitlocker, or anything else. All of the sudden every machine I connect it to tells me I need to unlock the drive, then prompts me for a USB key.Again, I...
  7. Unlock drive prompt on drive that wasn't encrypted

Unlock drive prompt on drive that wasn't encrypted: I have an external hard drive, with a USB 3.0 interface that I have been using for a while, but I never encrypted it with Bitlocker, or anything else. All of the sudden every machine I connect it to tells me I need to unlock the drive, then prompts me for a USB key.Again, I...
  8. Unlock drive prompt on drive that wasn't encrypted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. can not unlock my hard drive it is encrypted with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can not unlock my hard drive it is encrypted with bitlocker: i encrypted one of my hard drives with bitlocker and my computer crashed and wiped everything but the hard drive that was encrypted with bitlocker i no longer can find the recovery key through command prompt or the password have been trying for months i have data on there i...
  10. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...