Windows 10: Cannot unplug computer without it turning off? Fatal error???

Discus and support Cannot unplug computer without it turning off? Fatal error??? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; TL;DR: 3 and a half year old Dell Inspiron turns off every time I unplug it and won't turn back on until I put it back on the charge. Computer says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by issy-3ko, May 3, 2020.

1. issy-3ko Win User

Cannot unplug computer without it turning off? Fatal error???

TL;DR: 3 and a half year old Dell Inspiron turns off every time I unplug it and won't turn back on until I put it back on the charge. Computer says there's something wrong with my BIOS, but I have no clue how to tell what's wrong with it. Why is my computer doing this and how do I make it stop doing this?

Some backstory; I have had a Dell Inspiron 1500 since December of 2016, and it's been working great for those past 3 and a half years; fast, plenty of storage, ran some pretty graphically-intensive games as smoothly as I expected, and good battery life. It's been running Windows 10 ever since I got it, and the operating system has also been working as expected. Last night I had a virtual game night with some family members, and when I plugged in my computer I wanted to make extra sure it didn't run out of battery mid-Zoom meeting, I got some sort of odd message saying "this cord isn't supported by Dell" or somethin weird like that. Assuming it was just a glitch, I just ignored it and had a good time with my family. That night, I moved my computer into another room and kept it plugged in there overnight, and the next day today, May 3rd, 2020, I moved my laptop back into the room it was in originally. But then, I realized I needed to move it somewhere else, and then everything went wrong.

So, I went to unplug my Dell Inspiron 1500 from a wall plug and move it to a different room. Usually, this is not a problem in the slightest; the laptop functions like normal regardless of the plug. However, this time, it just immediately shut off. Thinking it was just a software glitch or something, I held down the power button for what I can only assume was between one and two minutes. The computer didn't turn back on.

At this point, I figured something was up, so I plugged it back in again, and after a particularly long log-in time, it went back to working as normal. But I still needed to move it to the other room, so I unplugged it and moved it. Just like last time, it turned off. I tried plugging and unplugging the laptop, only to receive the same results. I let the laptop sit unplugged for about 5-10 minutes, then held down the power for another two minutes, still didn't turn on. At this point, I started Googling, and it said something about replacing the battery? I had no clue what that meant, but I grabbed a screwdriver that miraculously managed to fit the screw at the bottom and went to town. Couldn't open it properly, because I have no experience with screwdrivers, so I just screwed it back in and hoped it worked. After turning it on again with the power cord in, and it came to some janky-looking screen. Can't remember what it said, all I remember is it was asking me to troubleshoot, and it looked less like something from the current Windows 10 and more like a super official programming thingy. I don't know, I don't program, I don't know how to describe it. Regardless, I asked it to troubleshoot, and it gave me a screen of colored bars. Cannot unplug computer without it turning off? Fatal error??? 0fe1df69-c3ac-455e-9cb0-13ac33df3535?upload=true.png

The bars kinda looked like this, but there were more of them and in a few different colors. A prompt came up a few seconds after: did you see colored bars on your screen? Naturally, I answered yes, because there were colored bars on my screen. Then, it started doing some sort of analysis on my computer before turning to a screen that said there was a critical error and I needed to update my BIOS. Then, my computer started playing these horrible noises. I mean, these things were *loud*. My computer's volume was only set to 40 and it sounded like it was set to 100. I pressed a mute button in the lower right corner of the screen and the noises stopped, but I noticed my caps lock key was blinking. Like, you know how when you have caps lock on the little dot glows, and when you don't, it doesn't glow? It was alternating between glowing and not glowing. The screen was asking me if I wanted to continue testing, and my options were either "yes", "no", or "retry". I clicked yes, and the same things happened; colored bars, horrible ear-splitting noises, and those three options. This time, I pressed "no" and then "exit", and my computer booted up again like normal. However, it still turned off when unplugged, and only turned back on after I plugged the power cord back in. I Googled how to check my BIOS, checked it, and apparently it is version 1.8.1 and was last updated on August 15th, 2018. I cannot seem to find what BIOS version I am supposed to have, so as far as I know my BIOS is totally up to date.

So, with all that being said, what can I do to get my computer up and running without needing to constantly be plugged in?

:)

issy-3ko, May 3, 2020
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Fatal Error

I've been trying to format my system but right after it finishes formatting I get a Fatal Error during the Windows installation process. That Fatal Error is a Data Error (cyclic redundancy check). I know that it's because of my hard drives, but how do I fix this issue? I have 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA II Hard Drives in RAID 0. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. *Smile Cannot unplug computer without it turning off? Fatal error??? :)

Flava0ne, May 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 update fatal error

Hi,

In order to resolve your concern about fatal error C00000D4, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by
    Deason Wu on this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, May 3, 2020
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Fatal Error

Okay, I disabled RAID and now just formatting one of my hard drives. I will post back and let you know if I get another Fatal Error or if the Windows installation was a success.

Flava0ne, May 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot unplug computer without it turning off? Fatal error??? - Similar Threads - Cannot unplug computer

2. Laptop turns off when unplugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turns off when unplugged: i have a toshiba satellite c855-s5350 and when i unplug it it turns off when i click on the battery it says 100%, any fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-turns-off-when-unplugged/a765a703-f084-423c-a74c-3b25dae940ee
  3. Laptop turns off when unplugged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turns off when unplugged: i have a toshiba satellite c855-s5350 and when i unplug it it turns off when i click on the battery it says 100%, any fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-turns-off-when-unplugged/a765a703-f084-423c-a74c-3b25dae940ee
  4. Laptop turns off when unplugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer Turns Off Without Warning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Turns Off Without Warning: Hello! Thanks for your time. I've found lately that whenever my computer starts to run low on battery around 11-14%, it will just shut down entirely without warning no low battery prompt or anything, and when I immediately plug it in and turn it back on, instead of resuming...
  6. Laptop won't start if unplugged, turns off when unplugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop won't start if unplugged, turns off when unplugged: submitted by /u/Jcrm87 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gp127e/laptop_wont_start_if_unplugged_turns_off_when/
  7. 255% battery. Turns off as soon as it's unplugged.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    255% battery. Turns off as soon as it's unplugged.: So my battery says it is 255% not 100%. As soon as it's unplugged it turns off. Does anyone know what may be causing this ? I just did a factory reset and no dice. It has done this before and after updating as well. Thanks. submitted by /u/babygorilla90 [link]...
  8. Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant turn computer off and on without a usb connected: I have a lenovo yoga - 910 that wont turn off or on without my bootable usb (with a windows 10 iso file on) connected. It occured after I tried to turn off my computer and it would keep restarting a split second after turn off. I then did a force shutdown and then got a...
  9. Frequent BSOD and computer turning off without warning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSOD and computer turning off without warning: I'm including a OneDrive link to 3 minidump files (at time of posting, 2, the third is still pending sync and I'm having trouble forcing it to sync) and my system information below, but here's what I'm dealing with. I built my computer a few months ago and was plagued by...
  10. Monitor randomly turns off without reconnecting to computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor randomly turns off without reconnecting to computer: While browsing the internet on my computer, after about 2 minutes, my monitor will turn off. I can turn it back on, but when I do, it cannot reconnect the display to my computer. The computer remains on, and so does the monitor. The only way to fix this that I could find is...