Windows 10: Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight!

Discus and support Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; All my desktop apps/icons have disappeared; when I attempt to go into an app from task bar it vanishes; when I attempt to go into an app from start it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlikaWright, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight!

All my desktop apps/icons have disappeared; when I attempt to go into an app from task bar it vanishes; when I attempt to go into an app from start it says "you need a new app to go into this windows defender link"; I cannot update windows or turn on firewall/security EVERYTHING went haywire overnight!!!

:)

AlikaWright, Jul 10, 2021

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jul 10, 2021
  3. GFR
    gfr Win User
    Running Optimize literally does nothing; in PS it yields an error

After doing a clean install of Windows 10 20H2 (OS Build 19042.906) and fully updating it, and updating all of the Dell drivers from Dell.com, I tried the following Optimize and Defrag options from How to Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10 (tenforums.com/tutorials/8933-optimize-defrag-drives-windows-10-a.html):

• OPTION ONE: To Optimize Drives in Optimize Drives Tool: Steps 2, 3, and 4,
    • OPTION TWO: To Optimize Drives in Command Prompt: Step 2, and
    • OPTION THREE: To Optimize Drives in PowerShell: Step 3
    The four steps attempted from Options 1 and 2 resulted in no notice action; i.e., it appeared as though nothing happened after executing the commands.

When I ran Step 3 of Option 3, I received the following error message.

What does this mean and now what do I do?

Thanks!

Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight! [​IMG]

4. Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight!

All files gone - windows update overnight

Woke up this morning to find all our laptops had been updated by windows overnight, and all our files were gone?!?!

After a heartstopping moment, and some intense searching, I've found them all under C:/users, but they are still not showing up under My Documents, My Pictures etc.

Also, all my desktop settings have been lost and all my applications have lost my settings and seem to think they are brand new?!

Help!!

LouLou8181, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight!

1. Cannot update and desktop apps have all gone literally overnight! - Similar Threads - Cannot update desktop

2. all my files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all my files on desktop are gone: hello , i logged into my iCloud this morning and after i was done all files on my desktop are gone and got logged out of my accounts . i tried restarting and everything but it didnt do anything . my one drive dose not work and it says the location got changed or got deleted ....
  3. My taskbar has disappeared, literally overnight. I've tried all kinds of 'solutions' to get...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My taskbar has disappeared, literally overnight. I've tried all kinds of 'solutions' to get...: I don't know what else to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-taskbar-has-disappeared-literally-overnight-ive/56ab8279-d801-4935-a81c-0685da413a26
  4. Brightness Scale Gone After Overnight Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brightness Scale Gone After Overnight Update: My laptop just did an update overnight without my approval Jan 12, 2023. My brightness scale or ability to adjust the brightness in ANY way is now gone completely. I am angry as my job consists of computer work and I always have it on the lowest brightness. My screen is now...
  5. Brightness Scale Gone After Overnight Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brightness Scale Gone After Overnight Update: My laptop just did an update overnight without my approval Jan 12, 2023. My brightness scale or ability to adjust the brightness in ANY way is now gone completely. I am angry as my job consists of computer work and I always have it on the lowest brightness. My screen is now...
  6. All My Files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All My Files on desktop are gone: I Dont know what happen .i just turn on my laptop then i check my files ,my apps,my photo ,my project in desktop missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-files-on-desktop-are-gone/9d0b4556-4924-47f4-a400-511730cbfb0d
  7. All files gone - windows update overnight

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All files gone - windows update overnight: Woke up this morning to find all our laptops had been updated by windows overnight, and all our files were gone?!?! After a heartstopping moment, and some intense searching, I've found them all under C:/users, but they are still not showing up under My Documents, My...
  8. All my files are gone and windows have reinstalled from overnight

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All my files are gone and windows have reinstalled from overnight: I had my windows full of documents and photos then i went to sleep 10april 2020 now then i woke up 11 april 2020 i put laptop on. i saw all my photos and documents are gone all internet explorers and apps i had installed are gone by over nogth . I know i didnt do anything ....
  9. Where have all the out-of-band-updates gone to?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Where have all the out-of-band-updates gone to?: Just wondering, since a few months we don't get ANY out-of-band (or updates that fall beyond the usual Patch Tuesday) any more. It's been so quiet in my WU corner that I might wonder... is there anything still to patch or are they REALLY waiting for Patch Tuesday to arrive?...
  10. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950