Windows 10: Cannot update from 1709 without breaking system

Discus and support Cannot update from 1709 without breaking system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old HP Laptop which I still use and it is running Windows 10 1709. I would like to update this machine to a more current version of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Greg Wright, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Cannot update from 1709 without breaking system

I have an old HP Laptop which I still use and it is running Windows 10 1709. I would like to update this machine to a more current version of Windows such as 1909, but cannot because every time I upgrade the system it breaks the wake from sleep function. And without a working wake from sleep, I cannot do a backup on the machine automatically.

The symptoms are simple. I upgrade from 1709 to 1803 and everything appears to be working. Then I put my machine to sleep for the night and when I get up next morning, the machine has not been backed up. When the machine tries to wake from sleep, instead of waking, it just does a cold reboot instead.

So, I've been fighting with Microsoft's asinine automatic updates, trying to keep the machine from performing an automatic update that breaks it.

Does anybody know what changed in 1803 or later that prevents my computer from waking from sleep properly.

I've tried a clean install of 1909 on this computer and it still breaks the wake from sleep.

Thank you.

Greg ...

:)

Greg Wright, Mar 26, 2020
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Cannot install Windows 10 update 1709

Hi Margaret,

We want to know more about the issue you're having with updating your PC to 1709. Please provide answers to the questions below:

• Are you having any errors when you're trying to update your PC? If you do, kindly send a screenshot.
    • Have you tried the suggested trouble shooting steps provided by Andre Da Costa?
    • What are the steps have you done so far?

Your response will highly be appreciated.

Robert Caw, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Cannot update from 1709 without breaking system

Windows 10 Pro and Ergnomic Break Reminder

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Do you remember installing any break reminder software?

It looks like it is a pop up from a break reminder software.

I suggest you to look for this in Programs in features and uninstall it if do not use it.

Try the following steps:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run Command

• Type Appwiz.cpl and hit enter

• Search for the programs and un-install it.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Cannot update from 1709 without breaking system

1. Cannot update from 1709 without breaking system - Similar Threads - Cannot update 1709

2. Updating from 1709 to 1903+

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating from 1709 to 1903+: Trying to update my Laptop from 1709 to 1903. Apparently the update required does not work to no prevail. I’m normal settings, it starts to install, gets to about 90% then fails and gives an error. When I looked up the error it told me to try disabling antivirus, and to...
  3. Updating Windows without Sounds Breaking

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows without Sounds Breaking: I have been unable to update windows for a month or two now because every time I do, my sounds get all messed up, where some sounds are far too loud and others are far too low. Sometimes certain sounds can be loud while others are too low in the same program/game/etc. Turning...
  4. Update from 1709 to 1803 failed

Update from 1709 to 1803 failed: Hello, For the past year I haven't been able to update my laptop (Asus ROG strix gl502vm) to the next version of windows. I am able to download the update but as soon as my pc restarts to install the updates it runs into a problem: Stopcode Memory Management. Then the pc...
  5. Cannot update from 1709 to most recent version of Windows 10

Cannot update from 1709 to most recent version of Windows 10: I want to update to 1809, but going through the windows update option to 1803. I have tried this many times, It brings the error _____ every time. I have try the windows troubleshoot and it does not help. I have tried updating through the Microsoft website which fails with...
  6. cannot update windows 10 from version 1709 to 1803

cannot update windows 10 from version 1709 to 1803: Help, I can't update windows 10 from version 1709 to 1803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cannot-update-windows-10-from-version-1709-to-1803/2d91a31d-d7c2-4cd1-945d-8d21c4941d56
  7. Windows update from 1709 - breaks my computer 3 times!!

Windows update from 1709 - breaks my computer 3 times!!: After failing to complete the update and freezing with 2 of the small circles frozen. I tried the reset / restore etc, all to no avail not even with a restore to previous settings. Ended up restoring previous image from June losing my latest applications and potentially...
  8. Updating from 1703 to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating from 1703 to 1709: I'm on 1703 with a 365 day deferral. I want to try a manual update to 1709 so I can experiment with getting comfortable with it before the 1703 October 9 eol, but the only resources I can find is for 1803. 111596
  9. USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition": This PC can't run Windows 10 *We couldn't update the system reserved partition. It is running Windows 10 and I'd like to update it to 1709 which will hopefully cure the annoying issues of the system's update failing repeatedly. Any suggestions? When I instruct the...
  10. Fall 1709 update breaks "net use" cmd to map drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall 1709 update breaks "net use" cmd to map drive: I used to be able to map an IoT device with a fixed IP address by using "net use X: \192.168.x.xx" and it would work. Long story short, after spending several hours on this, the new 1709 Creators Fall Edition seems to require the root label explicitly as "net use X:...