Windows 10: Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update

Discus and support Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Few times I tried updating my PC to October 2020 update. It failed so I decided for a clean install from USB pendrive. I made bootable pendrive using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kaelos4, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Kaelos4 Win User

Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update

Few times I tried updating my PC to October 2020 update. It failed so I decided for a clean install from USB pendrive. I made bootable pendrive using Media Creation Tool.

When I enter it in UEFI mode I see a Windows logo for a sec then my PC reboots and just starts the system like always. I can't get past Windows logo booting from pendrive and I'm sure it's the same issue with October update. I tried removing usb devices and BIOS to default settings. No success here.

Then for comparison I tried booting from pendrive on legacy BIOS instead and it loaded successfully. Also I tried my Windows 7 cd setup in UEFI and it worked as well. But obviously I want my Windows 10 installed with UEFI. Looks like hardware issue to me but on the october update side as there were no problems before. Do I need UEFI update or something?

My PC specs:

cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2x8GB

gpu: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070Ti

motherboard: ASRock X370 PR04

SSD: Adata Ultimate SU800 1TB SATA3

:)

Kaelos4, Feb 15, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Feb 15, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 15, 2021
  4. Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update

Windows 10 October 2020 update

Hi Clayton,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

October 2020 update is in the last phase of testing as it was released last month to the Release preview channel. As far as the name goes, it should release this month.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/...

Keep checking Home and the top of this forum for announcements.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update

1. Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update - Similar Threads - Cannot update clean

2. Windows 11 Cant install updates since October

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Cant install updates since October: I have not updated my current windows 11 device like since October, i receive updates but when trying to install them it errors out, so i am stuck with the build 22H2 22621.521The error i get is 0x800f0831, i have tried running troubleshooter and it just gets stuck on...
  3. Windows 10 October 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 October 2020 update: Hey there ! Is windows 10 october update officially available? Where can I download the iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-october-2020-update/e3fa5a2a-1191-459d-9184-1cf8d421f835
  4. Windows Update October 2020

Windows Update October 2020: After I downloaded the update , I restarted my laptop and when I went to settings again it shows that attention needed and after going to update and security it just shows please wait and shows nothing The screen shot of the following is provided below :-[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. Trouble with October 2020 Update

Trouble with October 2020 Update: I am having trouble installing this windows update. I don't think my problems match any other thread I've found, but its possible I've missed something. Current Version: Windows 10 Home - Version 2004, Build 19041.508 - x64 Trying to install October 2020 Build - KB4579311...
  6. Windows 10 October 2020 Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 October 2020 Update: I have heard that Microsoft has released an October a.k.a 20H2 Update. I have checked for updates many times in Settings. But, it is showing that Windows is up to date. Please help... My latest build no. is 19041.572. So, is the update already installed ?...
  7. Windows October 2020 Update

Windows October 2020 Update: Running this updated deleted files on my D drive. How can I get them back!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-october-2020-update/08ad7556-4456-4735-9c13-ae31942e24fd
  8. Windows 10 October 2020 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 October 2020 update: Hi Theres rumors saying that Microsoft could release the October 2020 update in the next few days. Is this true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-october-2020-update/021a779d-9d81-4cde-8170-d4ed6b1d9337
  9. Cumulative updates - October 2020

Cumulative updates - October 2020: This is a summary of the cumulative updates released on October 13th for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10. Windows 10 version 2004 - KB4579311 Build 19041.572 Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 - KB4574727, Build 18362.1139 and 18363.1139 Windows 10 versions...
  10. No Windows Updates Since October

No Windows Updates Since October: I thought it was odd that i hadn't been able to update anything in ages. so i googled to see if anyone else had this issue & google almost blew up lol. i saw people having issues with files getting deleted, & many other things. i never NOTICED anything getting deleted but 99%...