Windows 10: Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

Discus and support Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This problem is driving me nuts. *Confused I've had Win10 installed for ages and no problems until Upgrade 1511 came along. How come Windows 10 worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gumtree, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Gumtree Win User

Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

This problem is driving me nuts. *Confused I've had Win10 installed for ages and no problems until Upgrade 1511 came along. How come Windows 10 worked all that time and now refuses to upgrade?

Can anyone provide a fix for this problem:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

error message:
    "Windows 10 couldn't be installed
    *Windows couldn't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware."

All help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Gumtree, Dec 13, 2015

2. WINDOWS 10 - CANNOT INSTALL UPDATES

Hi,

Yes, it is necessary to install Windows Updates as it provides updates for Windows components. It is possible that your system is missing the Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR) which is used on the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface(UEFI)/GUID Partition
    Table (GPT) disks. MSR basically supports software components that have previously used hidden sectors on disk. You can visit this
    link for troubleshooting steps regarding the error message "cannot install
    updates - you have an unsupported layout for UEFI firmware".

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Dec 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10

I get the message-- Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. How do I fix this?

RichardMankel, Dec 13, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management Window:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

Press the Print Screen key then open Paint (Press Windows key, type paint then click on Paint at the top) and paste the image from the clipboard into Paint.

Save the paint image to your hard drive (File / Save as).

How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 10

Ztruker, Dec 13, 2015
  5. Gumtree Win User
    Hi Ztruker and thank you for replying. My apologies for delay as I have been busy with work. The disk management image is as follows. As "J" disk uses my full name I have blanked it out.

Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware [​IMG]

Gumtree, Dec 15, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I don't see an EFI partition which I thought UEFI required. This is what mine looks like:

Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware [​IMG]

Need help with this from some of the disk layout wizards here. Hopefully they will stop by soon.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Second partition on Drive 1. ESP = EFI System Partition. I would try disconnected Drive 0 (JCannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware :) and then trying the upgrade. Actually, I would disconnect all other hard drives except for drive 1 which contains all the system partitions.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  8. MSMPlayz Win User

Try changing the SATA Controller. That's what I did when I had this problem before (But updating to a different version).

MSMPlayz, Dec 15, 2015
  9. Steve C Win User
    I had a weird partition problem which stopped Windows 10 installing - see my solution here https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...x80004005.html You could check the integrity of the ESP partition.

There should be an error logging file setuperr.log in the temporary windows installation directory. Is there an error message towards the end of this file which gives you a clue what may be wrong?

You also have a drive letter assigned to the ESP partition. You could unassign the drive letter to see if that helps.

Steve C, Dec 15, 2015
  10. Gumtree Win User
    Sorry, all of the above solutions are too confusing for me to make any sense of. I need step by step instructions. But thank you for the replies.

I can't find any error log in the file you mentioned.

I still do not understand how I could have installed Windows 10 in the first place. Why is the problem only appearing now? Seems to me the problem is with Microsoft being too picky about some minor technicality. They should produce a tool that re-creates the partition structure that they require, rather than leave customers guessing. I am actually thinking of reverting back to an older version of Windows that works, or finding a different O/S altogether. Windows 10 has been a big failure.

Gumtree, Dec 16, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    This should not be confusing:

Try it and see what happens.

Ztruker, Dec 16, 2015
  12. MSMPlayz Win User
    Whoever had a weird partition that stopped Windows from installing, when you boot into the installer press the keys Shift and F10. Command Prompt should pop up. Type in "Diskpart" and wait. Then type in "list disk." Once that's been executed select the disk you want to erase (e.g. "select disk 0" or "select disk 1"). Once you've seleted it, type in "clean all." This command would take 1-4 hours to exceed but it COMPLETELY erases your hard drive with 0s and this is the best way to clean it. Then continue with the installation and when it says Custom or Upgrade, select Custom and there should be only one partition. Select that than click next. There, you're done!

MSMPlayz, Dec 16, 2015
  13. Steve C Win User

I think we are trying to help upgrading an existing Windows 10 installation. Post 10 is recommending completely wiping the disk and doing a clean install which would then require significant effort to reinstall all programs.

These installation problems are not helped by uninformative Microsoft error messages!

Steve C, Dec 16, 2015
  14. Gumtree Win User
    I went to the trouble of opening the case and disconnecting everything except the drive containing Windows. Result is the same. The upgrade will not install and I get error message "Windows couldn't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware."

Gumtree, Dec 17, 2015
  15. Gumtree Win User
    I could not agree more! How are we supposed to fix a "problem" when the error message is worded in a confusing way or we do not know what the error message means? Personally I have no idea what the error message means and nor would the average PC user for that matter.

Yes you are correct, I am not trying to install Windows 10. I already have that installed. I am trying to update (they call it "upgrade") to Version/Build 1511, 10586 of Windows 10.

Also, having to reach inside your machine and start pulling cables just to install Windows is so "old school" it is laughable. Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be the most sophisticated and intelligent operating system to date? If so, it should be able to install an update on any PC that already has Windows 10 installed. But this is evidently not the case. The way it is now you can install Windows 10, but you can't update it to a later build. This is beyond a joke! Somewhere the programming has taken a backwards leap.

Gumtree, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware - Similar Threads - Cannot upgrade due

2. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware": Hello,I want to upgrade to windows 11 but I am running into a similar problem as in this thread which says:Windows can not be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI...
  3. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware": Hello,I want to upgrade to windows 11 but I am running into a similar problem as in this thread which says:Windows can not be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI...
  4. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware": Hi,I've tried to install the new Dinwos 11 Version 22H2 but am receiving the message above. I've run the WhyNotWin11 and it doesn't seem to show anything related to disk layout, and states that secure boot is on.I've also checked my drives and they're all GPT.Any help would...
  6. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware": Hi,I've tried to install the new Dinwos 11 Version 22H2 but am receiving the message above. I've run the WhyNotWin11 and it doesn't seem to show anything related to disk layout, and states that secure boot is on.I've also checked my drives and they're all GPT.Any help would...
  7. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: I wasn't able to update my windows because it stated that the disk layout was unsupported. I have 1903 but have no idea what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsupported-disk-layout-for-uefi-firmware/5db915ea-310f-48ea-9fad-6dd8b0409a91
  8. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware: 1803 will nt install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? 110420
  9. 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI: Sometime in the fall I started getting Windows 10 update errors trying to install 1607 (the anniversary update I believe). After trying different fixes I just ignored it for a while hoping windows would come up with a fix. 6 months later and I'd like to finally resolved this...
  10. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware: BIOS is set to boot Legacy. Here are the two prior threads getting me from being patently annoyed with 1703 being chronically hung on a quality update to where I am now. The first one is a long read and the summary is, lots of trainwreckage, machine boots in Legacy....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware