Windows 10: Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade"

Discus and support Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Bought an upgrade key on Windows Store (from a legit Home version; purchased laptop directly from MSI). Went to activation section and tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lettucewrap4, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade"

1. Bought an upgrade key on Windows Store (from a legit Home version; purchased laptop directly from MSI).
    2. Went to activation section and tried to activate from store.
    3. Upgrade now on this PC >> Yes, I saved
    4. Error: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade."

I tried everything. Reset store. Reboot PC multiple times. Got updates. I tried the media creation tool that wants to upgrade me from "home to home" (??) and not Pro .... overall, it's exhausting. I'm trying to do the right thing, but ffs p*rating has better support than Microsoft Store (not that I would, but shouldn't be less effort).

submitted by /u/lettucewrap4
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lettucewrap4, Oct 18, 2020

2. Bought Windows 10 Pro upgrade, clicked on the Start Upgrade icon and it fails.

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

• Do you have wired or wireless internet connection?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on the system?
    • Are you trying to upgrade from the Microsoft account?
    • Did you activate your copy of Windows 10?

I suggest you to follow these steps below:

1. In your Windows 10 Home PC, open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Activation on the left side, and click/tap on Go to Store on the right side.

3. Click/tap on Start upgrade to begin.

4. Windows will now start preparing for upgrade.

5. When finished preparing, your Windows will automatically restart and start upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

6. When finished upgrading, sign back in to your Microsoft account profile, and click/tap on Close.

You can also verify, if you have Windows 10 pro version, by following these steps below:

• Press Windows key+ R keys to open RUN command box.
    • Type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Further, you can download the Windows 10 pro ISO file and perform a clean install, using the product key, which you have. Also I like to inform, to activate your copy of Windows 10.

Try to refer to the Microsoft article below and check, if it resolves the issue.

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows-10/upgrade-windows-10-pro

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade"

Upgrade to Pro Freezing

You did not indicate the edition (Home, Pro, ... ) - Since you mentioned upgrade to Pro, I'll guees that it was Home (as NavyLCDR stated).

Try this:
    1. Select Next to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

2. After your device is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, you'll need to activate Windows. Select the Start
      Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade" [​IMG]
      button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.

3. Select Change product key, and then enter your 25-character Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key.

4. Select Next to activate Windows 10 Pro
    . The key is the key!
    if you have a Win7 Ultimate, Win7 Professional, Win8 Pro, Win8 Pro Pack, Win8.1 Pro, or Win8.1 Pro Pack
    product key

Slartybart, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade"

1. Cannot upgrade from Home to Pro: "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade" - Similar Threads - Cannot upgrade Home

2. can't switch out of s mode - Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't switch out of s mode - Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade: Can't switch out of s mode - "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-switch-out-of-s-mode-something-happened-and/b0e7ce52-53af-4d43-aa39-e39c65c169ec
  3. can't switch out of s mode - Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't switch out of s mode - Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade: Can't switch out of s mode - "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-switch-out-of-s-mode-something-happened-and/b0e7ce52-53af-4d43-aa39-e39c65c169ec
  4. can't switch out of s mode - Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro: I have Windows 10/11 Home installed on my machine and I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. I am attempting to install it by going to Settings -> System -> Activation -> Upgrade your edition of windows -> Open Store. I then click on the install button I already purchased...
  6. We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We couldn't complete the upgrade - upgrading from windows 11 Home to Pro: I have Windows 10/11 Home installed on my machine and I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. I am attempting to install it by going to Settings -> System -> Activation -> Upgrade your edition of windows -> Open Store. I then click on the install button I already purchased...
  7. Can't upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro: I have Windows 10 Pro on my HDD. I bought a new SSD today and I install Windows 10. When I logged in with my Microsoft account It says "Windows 10 Home Single Language" under Activation Tab. How can I use my existing Windows 10 Pro key on my New SSD? Have a nice day!...
  8. Can't upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't upgrade from home to pro: Someone I know needed a new laptop. I bought one cloned the ssd to a new one and after that I put it back together. The old laptop had windows 10 home with a digital license installed. The new one came with a windows 7 pro key on a sticker. I tried changing the key to the...
  9. Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 News
    Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Different versions of Windows 10 are priced differently. The Windows 10 Pro version is considerably more expensive than the Windows 10 Home version. Thankfully, Microsoft allows its users to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro for a [...] This...
  10. Can't upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from Home to Pro: I purchased Windows Pro OEM back in 2016. Now with build 17758.1 it won't let me upgrade from home to pro! It says that I don't have a valid digital license or product key. How can I get it to let me upgrade to pro? Thanks....