Windows 10: Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

Discus and support Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have looked over the family settings regarding blocking content multiple times and I cannot find anything that mentions allowing or blocking private... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gweneive, Jun 2, 2020.

1. gweneive Win User

Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

I have looked over the family settings regarding blocking content multiple times and I cannot find anything that mentions allowing or blocking private browsing, my age is set as 21 but I still have to ask permission to use chrome which goes through to an error screen every single time, I have uninstalled and reinstalled chrome but it continues to happen and when I try to open a private browser the option is highlighted a pale grey and I am unable to click it or open a private tab through the keyboard shortcut.

Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings d41df960-f767-48ad-9ae5-ea5c23dfedfe?upload=true.png

This is what shows up every time I try to open chrome, when I am in the family as an adult, as a child or completely removed

Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings 2a418dde-3fc6-4b8d-87e1-467aba0841b5?upload=true.png

The error message that shows up every time I click through it, I have looked into this in previous threads but have found nothing that helped me, even after uninstalling the application and then reinstalling it it still shows both of these messages

My 'family' is made up of me and another account that I own, I used to be a part of a few other accounts owned by actual members of my family when I was much younger but that has been disbanded for at least a year, after I ran into some problems regarding chrome and permissions I looked into it and started up another one in the hopes that I could find settings to allow myself to use these seemingly blocked features. I managed to allow myself to use private browsing mode, I cannot remember how I did this or if it was to do with family settings but on the new version of Microsoft edge it comes up with this when I hover over the private browsing option

Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings 1ce772b7-0b68-4f85-a7b7-f473a906e29f?upload=true.png

I go to the bottom and click on this option of the same name, it brings me to a website of information regarding this subject and what is managed by a family group

Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings 5a9d8d63-72fb-4dc1-9a8e-303a7d86a52f?upload=true.png

Nowhere in where this managed by your family groupleads me can I find anything regarding blocking members from opening a private browser, the section about content restrictions only mentions turning on 'ask a parent', blocking inappropriate games/ media and blocking websites but nowhere does it mention my issue.

I have tried leaving the family but I was still affected by these family settings, I am set as an adult in the family but I still cannot browse privately or use chrome. I have set one of my other accounts as a child and looked through the settings to see if there was anything possibly disabling private browsing but I cannot find anything, the most I can find is something enabling or disabling blocking content but that is to do with websites not an entire section of the edge browser.

I was able to use private browsing mode before I updated to the new edge browser but now that I have it replacing the old one why can I no longer use it? Why, when I am set as an adult in the family, can I not open private browsing or use chrome? I am using the exact same account but for some reason updating to the new edge changed my settings?

I have tried removing myself and tried removing the other account making up the 'family' from the family previously and it seemed to be disbanded, coming up with only the 'create a family' option when I clicked on the 'family' section on my Microsoft account instead of going straight to managing family options, despite seemingly being removed from any family settings I could still not browse privately due to settings 'managed by my family group' or use chrome without asking for permission from a family I was no longer any part of

How can I allow myself to use private browsing mode or, ideally, completely remove myself and my device from and and all family settings that have only served to hinder and confuse me? Would removing myself finally allow me to use chrome and move on from the restrictions of edge? Is it even possible to completely remove myself as I have tried to multiple times in the past to no avail?

:)

gweneive, Jun 2, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data

Read more: Microsoft's Edge browser may be storing private browsing data | The Verge

Brink, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Family Features blocking google chrome

Hi Taylor,

It is possible that there is an issue with the Family settings. This can be the reason why you're unable to use Google Chrome. We recommend that you check you family settings by accessing account.microsoft.com/family
    to see Google Chrome is added to restricted applications.

If you're already an adult in your family settings, we suggest removing your account from your family settings and see if you will be able to access Google Chrome. We also suggest creating a new Microsoft account, and then add that account to your family
    as an adult. These steps will allow us to verify if there is an issue with your family settings or if there is an issue with your original Microsoft account.

We'll be waiting for the outcome.

Argel Obm, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

How to delete an adult account in the Family Settings.

Hi,

To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• As an adult in the family account, sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • Under Your family, click
      Remove
    • Click the child account you want to remove, and click Remove.
    • You will get an email confirmation once the child has been removed from the family.
    Note: If you removed a Child account, it will be tagged as an "Orphaned account" and you will need to attach another "Parent account".

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

1. Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings - Similar Threads - Cannot private browsing

2. Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings: Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-use-private-browsing-in-new-edge-or-chrome/09c27d23-1f54-4200-9173-7b090cc8a9ba
  3. Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings: Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-use-private-browsing-in-new-edge-or-chrome/09c27d23-1f54-4200-9173-7b090cc8a9ba
  4. Cannot use private browsing in new edge or chrome despite being an adult in family settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. asked parent permission despite being adult

asked parent permission despite being adult: I am an 18 year old man but my microsoft account keeps asking for parent permission and i have no clue where it even sends the message, not to mention i am set to being 18 on my account and am not set to a child account...
  6. asked parent permission despite being adult

in Windows 10 Gaming
    asked parent permission despite being adult: I am an 18 year old man but my microsoft account keeps asking for parent permission and i have no clue where it even sends the message, not to mention i am set to being 18 on my account and am not set to a child account...
  7. asked parent permission despite being adult

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Email addresses being retained in private browsing

in Browsers and Email
    Email addresses being retained in private browsing: Using Firefox private browsing. Went into a website yesterday for the first time. When I clicked into the 'Sign In' box, there was a dropdown list of several email addresses that have been used on this laptop at different times, but never with this site. These were hotmail...
  9. Family settings despite not being part of a Microsoft family

Family settings despite not being part of a Microsoft family: Recently I have been unable to use any search engines besides Edge. When I try I receive a family features pop up stating "You'll need to ask to use this app" and "You can't use Firefox because of your family safety settings, but it doesn't hurt to ask" I am not a part of any...
  10. Browsing in private

in Browsers and Email
    Browsing in private: I have never used browsing in private so my question is would you recommend that I use this function. Thanks 125775