Windows 10: Cannot use shortcut keys from desktop

Discus and support Cannot use shortcut keys from desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I recently started using windows 10. In previous versions of windows I am a huge fan of setting shortcut keys for my desktop shortcuts (e.g.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfudge, Feb 19, 2017.

1. cfudge Win User

Cannot use shortcut keys from desktop

Hello,

I recently started using windows 10. In previous versions of windows I am a huge fan of setting shortcut keys for my desktop shortcuts (e.g. right click -> properties -> Shortcut key) For example, I'm used to opening google chrome with CTRL+ALT+C. Since I installed windows 10, however, it seems like these shortcuts only work when another window is in focus. If I have no windows open, or the desktop is in focus, pressing CTRL+ALT+C does nothing. When any window is in focus, however, it works as expected. Is this expected functionality in Windows 10? If so, is there any way to change this back to what I am used to?

Thank you for any help,
    Cole Fudge

:)

cfudge, Feb 19, 2017
  2. ¡Firedog Win User

Windows 10 email .exe file location

You can assign a keyboard shortcut:

• Find the app in the start menu and drag it to the desktop to create a shortcut.
    • Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
    • On the Shortcut tab, click inside the Shortcut key box and tap the key you'd like to use.

¡Firedog, Feb 19, 2017
  3. Where is the WIndows 10 Photos app located in system files?

HI Sal,

All the applications that are installed through the Store are physically stored in the folder
    %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps, which usually is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps.

Since this are Store apps you cannot set shortcut key from your keyboard. You can only create shortcut keys for the Desktop apps.

Regards,

John Rubdy, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Win10Pro Win User

Hi,
    I'm also a BIG fan of shortcuts.

How do you assign the shortcuts? Through shortcut icons on your desktop?
    If so, try through Windows Start menu, right click on a selected app / More / Open file location and repeat the operation (of course earlier removing the first shortcut you assigned on, say, shortcut icon on your desktop) and see ir it helps.

Win10Pro, Feb 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot use shortcut keys from desktop - Similar Threads - Cannot shortcut keys

2. shortcuts using ctrl key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shortcuts using ctrl key: shortcuts using ctrl key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcuts-using-ctrl-key/3bb6319d-1034-4cd7-b894-d35057968a64
  3. shortcuts using ctrl key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts using ctrl key: shortcuts using ctrl key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcuts-using-ctrl-key/3bb6319d-1034-4cd7-b894-d35057968a64
  4. snap using shortcut key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    snap using shortcut key: by using shortcut key my snap not working partial pop up but not save but if open app then working . i update few mothth ago as update coming https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-using-shortcut-key/d86a4edb-a033-46dc-b131-6ed8dff84873
  5. snap using shortcut key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    snap using shortcut key: by using shortcut key my snap not working partial pop up but not save but if open app then working . i update few mothth ago as update coming https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-using-shortcut-key/d86a4edb-a033-46dc-b131-6ed8dff84873
  6. Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...: Hello, I upgraded my PC to 21H1 recently , and I have started facing some problems one after the other... And now I am unable to use an shortcut keys while on the Desktop like the Home Screen on the Windows 10. I am unable to use the shortcut keys like:- F5 RefreshF2 Rename a...
  7. Cannot use IE and put shortcuts on desktop with latest Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot use IE and put shortcuts on desktop with latest Edge: My workflow for 20 years is to place and delete shortcuts to links on my desktop. I downloaded the latest Edge and the link to "open with internet explorer" under more tools in Edge is GONE. How can I do this. I mean a couple clicks and I have a shortcut with proper icon on...
  8. Shortcut Keys For Desktop Apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut Keys For Desktop Apps: Im trying to use tvgamelauncher to seamlessly switch between monitors for when im racing and when im playing fps games so ive configured everything in the tvgamelauncher gui correctly and it all works however on my desktop shortcuts whatever shortcut key i make wont respond,...
  9. Shortcut key doesn't work from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut key doesn't work from desktop: I've made a Batch script that allows me to quickly type in what program I want to launch, and have it assigned to Ctrl+Shift+C. It is placed in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. The shortcut key works when applications are opened and everything, except for...
  10. Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut: I have a shortcut on the desktop. If you double click on it, it runs the target program just fine. Under 'properties' I have tried assigning various shortcut keys like Ctrl+Alt+N and none of them work. I have also deleted and recreated the desktop shortcut with no luck....