Windows 10: Cannot use Start Button, get into settings and more.

Discus and support Cannot use Start Button, get into settings and more. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. So I recently just got my ASUS GL752VW laptop and haven't really done much to it. But yesterday, I decided I'd uninstall McAfee Security Center... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by luudu, May 16, 2016.

1. luudu Win User

Cannot use Start Button, get into settings and more.

Hi all. So I recently just got my ASUS GL752VW laptop and haven't really done much to it. But yesterday, I decided I'd uninstall McAfee Security Center (I forgot the reason why) and went on to watch a movie on my laptop and knocked out while it was still on.

In the morning, I tried playing some music from my laptop and noticed no noise was coming out. I decided to restart my laptop. Well, my laptop took so much longer to load, (Customized) lock screen went to default and I couldn't even get to my desktop. It was all black. No error message except Windows telling me to reinstall McAfee Security Center. I restart my laptop and now it starts up and everything seems normal (except the default lock and login screen) so I try to repersonalize both the lock and login screen. I can't because it says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an associated in the Default Programs control panel".

Here is where I noticed my laptop was getting funky. I tried using my start button but nothing happens when I click on it. After a while of trying to follow what the internet told me, I decided I wanted to just reset the laptop because I have barely anything on it anyways. I try to go into my Settings but nothing pops up. I can't get in Settings, use my start button or Cortana, personalize my lock and login screen, and the laptop keeps on telling me to reinstall McAfee Security Center.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing but I'm also confused as well. Thank you in advanced for helping me out. If you need more info, I'd be happy to provide.

I've tried looking for malware, none. Also used Windows Defender and it did not find anything. I used windows updater to find any problems but none.

:)

luudu, May 16, 2016

2. no start button and I cannot get into any settings All I get is ERROR 2018375670

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There can be a number of reasons for this issue to happen. Some common issues that can cause these problems are:

• System files on the computer may be corrupt or mismatched with other files.

• There could be a possibility of virus or malware infection.

• Some applications or services running on the computer might have stopped Windows Explorer to work.

• This issue might have occurred due to outdated or corrupted video driver.
    I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in
    “Safe Mode”
    , let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some
    third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.

Step 2:

If the issue does not appear in safe mode, place the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue reappears.

Placing your system in “Clean Boot” state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue does not occur in “Clean Boot”, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for
    “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot” from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

let us try to run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management command (DISM).

It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available.

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Anusha Verma, May 16, 2016
  3. no start button and I cannot get into any settings All I get is ERROR 2018375670

When I turned on my computer today and I have windows 10

I realized I have no start button and I cannot get into any settings

I cannot get any photos or even my solitaire does not show up ???

All I get is ERROR 2018375670

Need help , I am computer ignorant

thank you

William Hough

OT:

File Error

WilliamHough, May 16, 2016
  4. Cannot use Start Button, get into settings and more.

Welcome aboard, Luudu.

As you have discovered, MacAfee is infamous for wrecking computers that try to uninstall it.

I recommend that you re-install MacAfee Security Center. If everything works right, go online to find specific tools to remove it.

Vince Massi, May 16, 2016
Thema:

Cannot use Start Button, get into settings and more.

1. Cannot use Start Button, get into settings and more. - Similar Threads - Cannot Start Button

2. Move settings back to start button.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move settings back to start button.: At some point in time in an update, settings was moved from the Start location. How can I move it back to the Start location? Or move it to any location I choose....
  3. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  4. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  5. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. cant use start button

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant use start button: cant use start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-start-button/8be693c6-5926-46ed-8352-bc1546d7d7a6
  7. cannot get to setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot get to setting: The issue occurred after Windows update, I cannot get to the settings because when I click on them, the window shows up for a few seconds and then closes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-get-to-setting/e7346da4-7541-456d-96d4-9a9e9c99d92f
  8. cannot activate Get Started button for fresh start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot activate Get Started button for fresh start: actual problem is buffering on video playback. Can't fix so trying to get a fresh start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-activate-get-started-button-for-fresh-start/79704f22-c94c-4547-b9a3-24dc5442443e
  9. Computer started to get more laggy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer started to get more laggy: Hi all, Does anyone know how to fix my problem? One year ago, the computer was installed with Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10. About 3 months ago, the computer ran fine, and even the startup time was <10sec. 2 weeks ago, I got a virus and quickly deleted it...
  10. Cannot get into Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get into Settings: Hi I am trying to get into settings using the Run dialogue ms-settings:windowsupdate, or any other of the listed Run commands. An error box come sup saying 'The application failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the...