Windows 10: Cannot use taskbar or windows

Discus and support Cannot use taskbar or windows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hard to explain, but I cannot open any application unless I do so on a shortcut on my screen. Cannot open anything besides Firefox on my taskbar and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/-Hornchief-, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Cannot use taskbar or windows

Hard to explain, but I cannot open any application unless I do so on a shortcut on my screen. Cannot open anything besides Firefox on my taskbar and nothing besides photos on the windows menu, I can only open the window menu through the windows button as well. Any idea on what to do? Should I restart my computer in safe mode?

submitted by /u/-Hornchief-
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/-Hornchief-, Jan 16, 2021

2. Taskbar Issue with Multiple Monitors

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

Please share the information below:

• Are you using a Local Account or a Microsoft Account?
    • What is the make and model of your PC?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties.
    • Check if the option for Lock the Taskbar and Auto-hide the taskbar
      are ticked.
    • If they are ticked then uncheck the option for Auto-hide the taskbar.

Also, suggest you to update the Display driver by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Taskbar sometimes on top of full-screen applications

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the Screen Resolution and check if this helps. Follow the steps below to do the same:

• Press ‘Windows ’ key on the keyboard.
    • In the search box, type Settings
    • SelectSystem > Display > Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, select a new value. We suggest you stick with the resolution marked
      "(Recommended)”.
    Also try locking and then unlocking the Taskbar and check if this helps. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click an empty space on the taskbar.
    • If Lock the Taskbar has a check mark next to it, the taskbar is locked.
    • If it does not have a check mark, click Lock the Taskbar.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jan 16, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Cannot use taskbar or windows

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Cannot use taskbar or windows

1. Cannot use taskbar or windows - Similar Threads - Cannot taskbar

2. Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...: Yesterday, in the late afternoon, my Dell G7 15 laptop, running windows 11, was working fine. Late in the evening, it started to fail. When I try to open a folder, the desktop becomes black, the task bar disappears; then, moments later, the desktop and taskbar reappear. I...
  3. Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...: Yesterday, in the late afternoon, my Dell G7 15 laptop, running windows 11, was working fine. Late in the evening, it started to fail. When I try to open a folder, the desktop becomes black, the task bar disappears; then, moments later, the desktop and taskbar reappear. I...
  4. Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar: I cannot seem to get the *NEW* outlook app's calendar to sync onto my taskbar calendar. I am using windows 10 and cannot update and am wondering how I can do this. I have tried resetting date settings and clock settings in both control centre and task bar and then resetting...
  5. Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar

Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar: I cannot seem to get the *NEW* outlook app's calendar to sync onto my taskbar calendar. I am using windows 10 and cannot update and am wondering how I can do this. I have tried resetting date settings and clock settings in both control centre and task bar and then resetting...
  6. Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11: The taskbar is humongous, takes precious space on the desktop. Clock and date are shown in two rows, not in one as I used to have it. I tried to change it using the regedit as suggested on one of the other sites: I went to...
  8. Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11

Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11: The taskbar is humongous, takes precious space on the desktop. Clock and date are shown in two rows, not in one as I used to have it. I tried to change it using the regedit as suggested on one of the other sites: I went to...
  9. How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...: Windows 365 I think Large monitor with a high resolution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-taskbar-i/e5af3369-735d-4aca-a09e-c40a1c2a956b
  10. How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...

How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...: Windows 365 I think Large monitor with a high resolution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-taskbar-i/e5af3369-735d-4aca-a09e-c40a1c2a956b