Windows 10: Cannot use USB External Hard Drive

Discus and support Cannot use USB External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Pro Build 19013.vb_release.191025-1609. Now I cannot use external hard drives. When plugging external hard drive I can hear the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DapidCand, Nov 2, 2019.

1. DapidCand Win User

Cannot use USB External Hard Drive

I am using Windows 10 Pro Build 19013.vb_release.191025-1609. Now I cannot use external hard drives.

When plugging external hard drive I can hear the sound of something is connected. But, the drive never displayed in This PC.

Checking Disk Management, the disk is not even there.

Checking Device Manager, one device is malfunction: USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device.

The device status is:

"

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Not Enough Quota}
    Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation.

"

I don't understand this error.

:)

DapidCand, Nov 2, 2019
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Julie Ram Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Hi twynog,

The issue that you're experiencing with the external hard drive might be due to some missing Windows hardware or software updates. To help you in resolving this, you may follow the steps below:

Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive - this method resolve issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

• Select Start, type Device Manager in the Search box.
    • Select Device Manager from the returned list.
    • Select Disk Drives from the list of hardware.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the issue, and select Uninstall.
    • After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.
    • Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load.
    • Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

If method 1 doesn't work the way it should, you may proceed to other steps provided in this
    article.

Do get back to us if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same issue.

Julie Ram, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot use USB External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Cannot USB External

2. external hard drive connected by usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive connected by usb: How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-connected-by-usb/57ede349-6ed9-4cb0-bf8d-d9d999cf1157
  3. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  4. Cannot use my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use my external hard drive: First of all. Sorry for bad grammar and punctuation. I'm still learning English! I'm trying to use my external hard drive but nothing will open because I'm pretty sure I messed up the security permissions. I remember being in the security permissions and wondering what would...
  5. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  6. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  7. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  8. USB external hard drive not migrating

USB external hard drive not migrating: Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly and no updates are...
  9. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  10. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f