Windows 10: Cannot use volume without FN key?

Discus and support Cannot use volume without FN key? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I don’t know what happened but my Toshiba laptop Windows 10 now requires me to press the FN key to use the volume keys when I turned it on today. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SharpedoWitchMeruna, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Cannot use volume without FN key?

I don’t know what happened but my Toshiba laptop Windows 10 now requires me to press the FN key to use the volume keys when I turned it on today. I tried toggling between special and standard in the BIOS menu but it made no difference which one I picked when I tried both. Nothing is working and I need it back to where I don’t need to FN key to use the volume.

:)

SharpedoWitchMeruna, Mar 6, 2020

2. FN key always on

To clarify, I was saying "Accessibility" features maybe be controlled via the BIOS, not the Fn keys. And one of the Accessibility features makes the keys "sticky". This allows folks with some disabilities to press, for example, the Ctrl key, then the Alt key, and then Del in sequence instead of all at once. Same with the Fn key. The sticky feature would let you first press the Fn key, and then the F9 key (for example) and not Fn + F9 at the same time to enable/disable whatever Fn + F9 does with that notebook (it is the touchpad on my Toshiba).

Bill_Bright, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    FN key always on

Fn key got absolutely nothing to do with BIOS.

It just requires some bizarre combination. One of this should do the trick:

fn + scrl
    fn+ num
    fn + F11
    fn + F8

Drone, Mar 6, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Cannot use volume without FN key?

New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

The FN key seems to be a toggle , I don't need to press it every time I want to adjust the volume or brightness.
    With all my previous laptops I needed to press the FN key WITH the f key I needed to use, so it works slightly different on this laptop than what I'm used to.

P4-630, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Cannot use volume without FN key?

1. Cannot use volume without FN key? - Similar Threads - Cannot volume without

2. I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to make my fn keys work without pressing along fn key: Hey, I am using a windows 10 pc which have a gigabyte h81M-S motherboard, so i recently changed my keyboard from dell to quantum and my function keys now only work with pressing fn with it, this keyboard doesnt have fn unlock. I want to make these keys pressed without...
  3. Fn keys do not need to be used with Fn key. How to Remove it ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn keys do not need to be used with Fn key. How to Remove it ?: I have a problem that the Fn keys are being used without pressing or holding the Fn button. I want to prevent it . What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fn-keys-do-not-need-to-be-used-with-fn-key-how-to/6a845178-38fd-4d4c-9b0f-122128df346b
  4. Fn keys do not need to be used with Fn key. How to Remove it ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fn keys do not need to be used with Fn key. How to Remove it ?: I have a problem that the Fn keys are being used without pressing or holding the Fn button. I want to prevent it . What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fn-keys-do-not-need-to-be-used-with-fn-key-how-to/6a845178-38fd-4d4c-9b0f-122128df346b
  5. Cannot change brightness using fn+arrow key on laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change brightness using fn+arrow key on laptop: Hello, MicrosoftRecently i'm installing my new laptop with Windows 10. But when i'm going to change the brightness setting using fn+arrow key, using control panel, and checking the generic pnp monitor it does not change and when i'm checking the about setting my laptop is...
  6. Futjitsu KB900 Keyboard Without "Fn" key..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Futjitsu KB900 Keyboard Without "Fn" key..: Hello Everyone, I got a keyboard for work recently and I want to use the "media" and useful shortcut keys that are related to the F1, F2, F3 ... F12 keys. On other keyboard, I don't have any issues at all tu use them. But here, I cannot find any "fn" key to hold before...
  7. My volume and brightness keys have switched with fn?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My volume and brightness keys have switched with fn?: I have an HP notebook running the latest windows 10. My volume/brightness keys used to work fine but now they have switched with the fn keys. I went into BIOS and turned off action keys, but that didn't do anything. I do not have a fn lock key on my keyboard, and I've tried...
  8. How to use Hotkeys without fn?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to use Hotkeys without fn?: I have an asus ROG laptop. First of all I didn't know how to use the hotkeys but then i learned that you have to press fn key along the f1-12 keys. Now i want to disable the fn key and only use the f1-12 keys to perform the same functions. As I said I have an asus laptop so...
  9. Adjust volume and brightness WITHOUT FN key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adjust volume and brightness WITHOUT FN key?: Hi all, I’m coming from Apple, and now own an Alienware M15 R2 with windows 10. I’m wondering if there is a way to use ONLY the individual brightness control keys and volume control keys to adjust without having to hold “fn” at the same time? Thanks! submitted by...
  10. CTRL, FN, and On Keyboard volume keyes not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    CTRL, FN, and On Keyboard volume keyes not working.: My on keyboard volume keys are F1-F3. Generally to activate F1-F3 I need to press Fn, and otherwise, it works as volume. How did these get switched and how do I fix and prevent this in the future. Another thing is, the CTRL button isn't working. I can use it to copy and...