Windows 10: Cannot use windows search function

Discus and support Cannot use windows search function in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am not able to type in the quick search bar on my windows 10 computer, This issue also affects the file explorer as I am not able to search there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Alex12314, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Alex12314 Win User

Cannot use windows search function

I am not able to type in the quick search bar on my windows 10 computer, This issue also affects the file explorer as I am not able to search there either. I also noticed the windows button will have a 3-4 second delay before opening the start menu. I have tried other solutions on questions I found similar to my own but none have worked.things I have tried so far include: troubleshooting search and indexingrunning the dism.exe /scanhealth and /Restorehealth commandsrunning a clean bootThis issue has persisted for about a week now and I have been unable to find a solution

:)

Alex12314, Apr 27, 2023
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working Easily (2023 Guide)

MattCorey, Apr 27, 2023
  3. search function

Hello,

A possible cause of this issue is a corrupted index. To help you resolve the issue, we suggest rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index. Rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index will get rid of corruptions. For the steps on how to perform this procedure, please follow the steps below.

• Click the Start button.
    • Type Indexing Options.
    • Select Indexing Options.
    • Click Advanced. Click Yes, if prompted or enter the administrative password.
    • Go to Index Settings tab.
    • Click Rebuild.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    The process may take a while to finish depending on your PC.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Apr 27, 2023
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 search function not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic

Method 1: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 27, 2023
Thema:

1. Cannot use windows search function - Similar Threads - Cannot search function

2. Why can't I use the windows search function?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I use the windows search function?: Hi, I am having an issue with the windows search function. Every time I click on "Type here to search" on the bottom left, it has no effect and doesn't allow me to search anything. I have tried restarting my laptop, rebuilding the indexing, and troubleshooting the problem...
  3. Why can't I use the windows search function?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I use the windows search function?: Hi, I am having an issue with the windows search function. Every time I click on "Type here to search" on the bottom left, it has no effect and doesn't allow me to search anything. I have tried restarting my laptop, rebuilding the indexing, and troubleshooting the problem...
  4. Cannot use windows search function

in Cortana
    Cannot use windows search function: I am not able to type in the quick search bar on my windows 10 computer, This issue also affects the file explorer as I am not able to search there either. I also noticed the windows button will have a 3-4 second delay before opening the start menu. I have tried other...
  5. Cannot use windows search function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use windows search function: I am not able to type in the quick search bar on my windows 10 computer, This issue also affects the file explorer as I am not able to search there either. I also noticed the windows button will have a 3-4 second delay before opening the start menu. I have tried other...
  6. Windows search function

in Cortana
    Windows search function: My windows taskbar can't search anything, it crashes instantly and consistently regardless of how many times I try to search anything, the file explorer search function is also broken in the same way, windows troubleshooting could not find any problems with the system, when I...
  7. Some Windows functionalities cannot be used

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some Windows functionalities cannot be used: After some recent update most notably MS Edge, I cannot click Start menu button. Right-clicking works, but left-clicking makes a "Critical Error" window popping up, saying "Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." Beside the Start button...
  8. Windows search function

in Cortana
    Windows search function: Earlier this month I had good advice from JohnDev about updating an elderly laptop and the non-working Window search function. I though I'd solved that problem but things haven't quite turned out as I'd hoped. The laptop Compaq Presario V6500 with 4Gb RAM is now running...
  9. Win10 Thinkpad - Cannot access search function.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 Thinkpad - Cannot access search function.: Initially I thought the problem was not being able to unlock the taskbar. settings set to unlock for desktop & tablet modes. Desktop wallpaper appears washed out until the brief switching time when a web browser is initiated. Also the Task View icon on the Taskbar allows...
  10. Windows search not functioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search not functioning: Is it only me or others are also having problems. my windows search is not working when i type in some app name...even fully it's only showing files but not apps...can someone please help me with this? Thanks.... I'm a windows insider...btw...up to date... updated. submitted...