Windows 10: Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file

Discus and support Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm running win10 Pro on two Dell T3500's I use Word 2003 and have some minor problems which I hope will be fixed by renaming my normal.doc and... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Jim8080, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file

I'm running win10 Pro on two Dell T3500's

I use Word 2003 and have some minor problems which I hope will be fixed by renaming my normal.doc and restarting Word so I have the default setup. Word 2003 uses normal.dot; dotm was introduced on later versions.

I used %appdata%/Microsoft/templates to reach normal.dot

I have two problems:
    Normal.dot is empty, even though I right-click on the file to open it.

I cannot rename normal.dot, because I'm told the file is open. The ~162 byte $normal.dot file is there. I can delete it and rename, but still have an empty file after restarting.

Maybe my problems cannot be fixed with a restore; problems are:

Links are not in blue and underlined.

View>Header and Footer does not provide the header and footer window.

Jim

:)

Jim8080, Aug 17, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

microsoft word 2003

Is it just one file, or all your word files?

With the exception of Outlook, I have yet to find a reason to stop using Office 2000, 2003, and 2007. They open all the latest files just fine, and they work just fine.

newtekie1, Aug 17, 2018
  3. microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Aug 17, 2018
  4. Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file

Viewing file folder contents

While viewing the contents of a file folder, I will scroll through them but if I stop scrolling for a few seconds, the view changes to the top of the file folder list. Is there a setting that controls/affects this?

KerryDeVore, Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file

1. Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file - Similar Threads - Cannot view contents

2. File Explorer home cannot change view

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer home cannot change view: I cannot change the view in file explorer home as it only gives me tiles or content view and when i switch between the two nothing happens. It always showed large icons which its not showing the option to change it to that and it keeps grouping them and are unable to be...
  3. Protected content cannot be viewed on this device

in Windows 10 News
    Protected content cannot be viewed on this device: [ATTACH]Screen Mirroring is a feature that lets users share the screen of one device with another device by using wireless technology. For example, if your Android smartphone and your computer support the Screen Mirroring feature, you can share the screen of your smartphone...
  4. Windows Update / Word 2003

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update / Word 2003: Hi, I own Word/Office 2003. Despite Microsoft's attempts to force us into a subscription service for Word 365, Word 2003 works perfectly! with the latest Windows Version...20H2 (I believe). But Windows Update keeps trying unsuccessfully to download this KB 4601554 for Word...
  5. file contents view

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file contents view: When I open file explorer and open a file, all the icons display as if they are empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-contents-view/232cd89d-c8c1-4f4e-a8e8-9d49a8dff7e8
  6. Word 2003 and emoji

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2003 and emoji: I still use Word 2003 to full satisfaction in my W10 Pro desktop PC. Wondering whether such a thing as an emoji font exists, I found that it exists as the font Segoe UI Emoji. Indeed, in the font listing in Word this font is present. However, when I try to use this font, only...
  7. Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View): When I do a search, I want the default view of the results to be the detailed view. How do I change the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-search-view-to-detail-view-not/8d2eb719-0ee7-466c-87c5-30878be8656f
  8. How to transform a Notepad file into a word file 2003

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transform a Notepad file into a word file 2003: I have a problem with my files. I have installed the old Microsoft Office 2003 in a laptop with Windows 10. All the classic programmes (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FrontPage, etc.). But the problem is that the Word documents that open in Word 2003 do not open in Word in this...
  9. Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot view contents or change Word 2003 normal.dot file: I'm running win10 Pro on two Dell T3500's I use Word 2003 and have some minor problems which I hope will be fixed by renaming my normal.doc and restarting Word so I have the default setup. Word 2003 uses normal.dot; dotm was introduced on later versions. I used...
  10. Office Word 2003 "Save As"

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Word 2003 "Save As": I'm running Office 2003 in Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) with no visible issues. Except that when I want to save a Word document using "Save As" it prompts me for all sorts of unsuitable locations...My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and some random programs which...