Windows 10: cannot wake from sleep

Discus and support cannot wake from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure if this has any bearing on your specific situation......but since the spectre/meltdown exploit, mobo manufacturers have developed a new bios... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Plankton, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Plankton Win User

cannot wake from sleep

Not sure if this has any bearing on your specific situation......but since the spectre/meltdown exploit, mobo manufacturers have developed a new bios for this. But you have to create a support ticket (especially with Gigabyte) and request the udated bios. They're not releasing them via the regular download channel (support/driver/download page). There may be something in this BIOS update to help.

Plankton, Apr 4, 2018
  2. rocket777 Win User

I have win10 pro with 1709, and have almost never been able to resume from a sleep. One one or two occasions, it has resumed. When I had hibernate enabled, it would do the same thing - not resume.

Not only are all my displays turned off, I can't remote (via vnc, which works fine otherwise) into the system, so it's not just that the screens are turned off.

Here's my system:

i7-4790k (not overclocked)
    gigabyte board, the b85m-ds3h-a
    16gigs ram
    3 sata ssds
    gigabyte rx 460 gpu

I've recently turned off hibernate (and thus fast startup) which had been causing bsod with bad pool header. I've got the latest amd drivers. With fast startup off, the system no longer bsod's.

Does anyone know how to figure out what's causing this problem with waking up?

:)

rocket777, Apr 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 BSOD. Crash in NtfsDeleteScb function

Thank you!

Sorry, I've forgotten to write what is not working. PC cannot wake up from sleep.

It goes to sleep (power LED blinks), but when I open the lid the system starts instead of waking up

Everything else seems to be working

I've reinstalled VMware Player, disabled NvStreamNetworkService service. Still cannot wake

_Capricornus, Apr 17, 2018
  4. cannot wake from sleep

driver optimizer automatic defragmenter

Defragment cannot trigger a startup. If the computer is in sleep, you might get a hint from

Task Scheduler

System Logs

to see what is waking the computer from Sleep.

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Hi rocket777

Have you checked MB vendor for BIOS update? (Not saying to update, just want to know if they have an update.)

You mentioned the main components of device, have you tried with peripherals disconnected?

How are you waking device?

Have you tried a quick click on power button?

Open either a command prompt(admin) or powershell(admin) and enter the command

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

to get a list of devices computer thinks can wake it.

Re VNC, is your network adapter set to allow it to wake computer?

There is a section within forum on BSOD's which may provide insight into why they are occurring.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 19, 2018
  6. rocket777 Win User
    There is one later update, that says: Fixed system STR fail with some memory
    The only peripherals are usb devices such as mice and keyboards and the amd gpu board - I tried disconnecting them all except mouse and gpu, and one time it worked. After that one time, it has failed since. The one time it resumed, I had tapped the power button. But I can tell it responds from wake on lan since the fans go on and the leds light up
    Wake on Lan - which works to start from a shutdown
    yes, like the wake on lan, it worked one time out of about 5 tries.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
    HID-compliant mouse
    HID Keyboard Device
    HID Keyboard Device (001)
    HID-compliant mouse (001)
    HID-compliant mouse (002)
    HID-compliant mouse (003)

I do have 2 mice on this machine and 2 keyboards, one that also has a trackpad, (so I can also use the computer from the couch)

yes, I can tell the computer has responded, because the fans turned on and the leds light up

I run a tcp server that listens on a port, this lets me run my own scripts remotely, such as one to shutdown the computer. When the system does not wake from sleep, the server does not respond either (and neither does vnc) so the only thing to do at this point is to hit the reset button.

rocket777, Apr 19, 2018
  7. Sorry for all the questions. What action is your system's power button set to take? (Shutdown, sleep, do nothing)? I would try sleep setting.

I think I would remove the extra keyboard (touchpad) and mouse (??)

Then I would enter device manager, click on view, click on show hidden devices.

Then enter the keyboard and mouse section and delete all hidden (not in use devices).

I would then reset power plan to defaults, reboot and test. (Extra keyboard trackpad mouse still disconnect).

Please don't use scripts either.

I would also try a clean boot, still with just the one keyboard.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

I was googling and there seems to be a lot of this issue.

Caledon Ken, Apr 19, 2018
  8. rocket777 Win User

cannot wake from sleep

Yes, I've seen that too.

I tried your suggestions, and it started working about 5 times in a row, then stopped working again once I added my mouse and keyboard back (was using vnc to do things).

One strange thing, when it's hung, the power button does nothing (set to either shutdown or sleep) and the reset button appears to do a total shutdown, since it's doing something for 10 seconds or so, and then doesn't even reboot. However, I can then use wake on lan to start it up from a full boot.

Thanks for your help, at this point I'm giving up on sleep. At least it usually boots up in 20 seconds off my ssd.

rocket777, Apr 20, 2018
  9. I'd checked out the mouse and keyboard. Add one at a time.

Actually when you started you mentioned BSOD's.

Likely they are all intertwined in some manner. You may wish to post in that section.

Audit your drivers against drivers listed on Gigabytes web pages, at least for the ones Gigabyte lists. Windows may have loaded a generic MS driver instead of the Vendor driver.

Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Apr 20, 2018
Thema:

cannot wake from sleep

1. cannot wake from sleep - Similar Threads - cannot wake sleep

2. Waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Waking from sleep: Every time I put the computer into sleep mode and then wake it up, it says no contact with the monitor after I turn on the monitor. I then have to leave the monitor on and put the computer to sleep via the keyboard and wake it up, it then sees and connects with the monitor....
  3. Cannot wake from sleep using keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot wake from sleep using keyboard: I tried the things that were suggested in this thread but I still can't wake the PC using the keyboard. Win10 is the latest 20H2, mouse/keyboard connected using wired USB directly (no bluetooth or hub). The bios setting for power management is "OS" which greys out the bios...
  4. Windows 10 suddenly cannot wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 suddenly cannot wake from sleep: My Windows 10 desktop suddenly cannot wake from sleep. It goes to sleep fine, but when woken my monitors continue receiving no input. It stays like this for around 2 minutes until the computer than restarts to the BIOS and welcome screen. I haven't been able to pinpoint...
  5. Waking from sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Waking from sleep?: I understand how to stop windows waking from sleep but there are so many steps. By this I mean, the IMO, the sleep function in windows, by default is not fit for purpose. You have to make sure WOL is disabled, sleep timers, usb devices disabled allowing to wake are disabled....
  6. HP laptop cannot wake up from sleep

HP laptop cannot wake up from sleep: Good day, folks. The laptop was working fine until it went to sleep; then the screen remains blank even I do the followings:- 1. press the power button until the laptop powers off, but when I release the button, the laptop will power up screen remains blank, only the...
  7. Waking from sleep

Waking from sleep: Since the last update my mouse won't wake my pc from sleep - i have to press the reset button. I've checked power options etc Help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waking-from-sleep/16c5f540-8199-48ba-a97b-971670323493
  8. Wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake from sleep: I’ve set my windows pc many times to only wake from sleep when a key from my keyboard has been pressed, not on mouse movement. It works for a couple of times and then it reverts to how it was before!! I’m getting very frustrated and would love a solution to this! submitted...
  9. waking from sleep.

waking from sleep.: I have just changed from Win 10 home 32 bit to the 64 bit version. The crap I had with it starting up, shutting down the doing full cold boot after waking from sleep with a long time to come up still exists. I do not believe I am the only person in the world with this...
  10. will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    will not wake from sleep: I have a 4 yr old custom built desktop upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro about 8 months ago. Up until two weeks ago the sleep/wake up has worked perfect. Now the unit will not wake from sleep. I have tried everything I have seen and nothing has worked. It has to be booted...