Windows 10: Cannot write to any folder "Could not find this item"

Discus and support Cannot write to any folder "Could not find this item" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I successfully was creating/changing files this morning on my Windows 10 PC. Then I opened my email. I have Windows Live Mail 2012 installed I know... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nschloss, Dec 19, 2020.

1. nschloss Win User

Cannot write to any folder "Could not find this item"

I successfully was creating/changing files this morning on my Windows 10 PC.

Then I opened my email. I have Windows Live Mail 2012 installed I know - old, not supported and it was giving me a warning "We have noticed some unusual activity in your account. Your action is needed to make sure no one else is using your account. To continue click OK". So, rather than click OK, I went to accounts.microsoft.com and updated my info and changed my password. This cleared the warning when using Live Mail. BUT, now I can no longer make any changes anywhere to my files - I can open and view but not change or create new in any folder. When I check security properties, they are all 'read only'. If I remove the 'read only' they immediately reset back. Here's the message I get when trying to create or change a file: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in [Path]. Verify the item’s location and try again".

How do I recover access to my folders?

:)

nschloss, Dec 19, 2020

2. "Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Cannot write to any folder "Could not find this item" :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 19, 2020
  4. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot write to any folder "Could not find this item" - Similar Threads - Cannot write folder

2. "Could not find this item. This is no longer..."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Could not find this item. This is no longer...": How can I delete folders that my computer says, "Could not find this item. This is no longer..." How can I remove them from my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-find-this-item-this-is-no-longer/32bbc4af-4a5b-424b-8af0-b0beaad21d05
  3. "Could not find this item. This is no longer..."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Could not find this item. This is no longer...": How can I delete folders that my computer says, "Could not find this item. This is no longer..." How can I remove them from my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-find-this-item-this-is-no-longer/32bbc4af-4a5b-424b-8af0-b0beaad21d05
  4. Could not find this item

Could not find this item: Hello,I've been having a problem for about a week, where I need to delete large quantities of pictures and documents from Windows 10. But every time I want to do this, I can the message: Item Not Found.Could not find this item. This is no longer located in path . Verify the...
  5. could not find this item in Win10

could not find this item in Win10: Hello,I have the same problem as other users on this see link below.My problem file shows as sized 61k in explorer, but then 0bytes when I check its properties.It can neither be moved, nor copied, nor renamed.My guess is that the problem is related to the very long filename...
  6. unable to create any type of file or folder in documents. could not find this item

unable to create any type of file or folder in documents. could not find this item: unable to create any type of file or folder in documents. could not find this item https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-any-type-of-file-or-folder-in/11750fcd-fe9b-4859-9eee-089e078590aa
  7. “Could not find this item”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Could not find this item”: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sexysenju [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kmwog9/could_not_find_this_item/
  8. Could not find this item while deleting a folder.

Could not find this item while deleting a folder.: I know you may have heard some similar questions but I have a genuine concern. For the past month, I have had a folder which I just can't delete. I tried refreshing file explorer, used command prompt it says system cannot find the path specified though I directly copied the...
  9. Problems deleting a folder 'Could not find this item' error

Problems deleting a folder 'Could not find this item' error: Hi, first time asking a question on here but I've spent hours googling and I'm stumped. I have two folders in a drive I am trying to delete cleaning up folder/subfolders. I can't rename them, and I can't delete them. Every time I try, I get a 'Item not found, Could not...
  10. Cannot delete FOLDER "Could not find this item"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete FOLDER "Could not find this item": Hi, I cannot delete a folder that despite showing, keeps saying Item not found "Could not find this item" whenever I try to delete it. [img] I have also tried this method using command prompt (Admin): [img] Please help... 151280