Windows 10: Cannot write to microSD card

Discus and support Cannot write to microSD card in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I needed to spin up a new instance of Raspbian so I ran up balenaEtcher and tried to burn to a brand new Sandisk 16GB card using a Sandisk ImageMate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/paul1m, Sep 5, 2020.

1. /u/paul1m Win User

Cannot write to microSD card

I needed to spin up a new instance of Raspbian so I ran up balenaEtcher and tried to burn to a brand new Sandisk 16GB card using a Sandisk ImageMate PRO. The operation failed.

Grabbed another (not new) microSD which I confirmed was working and tried again with that one. Failed again.

Tried a different card reader/writer with both cards and this failed as well.

Moved the hardware to my laptop and got similar results.

Windows Explorer cannot format the cards but Disk Manager can. After this Windows Explorer can copy files to the card and can re-format it but balenaEtcher still fails.

Tried Win32DiskImager with similar lack of success.

Moved the hardware over to a Linux machine and successfully burned the .ISO with dd. No problems here.

I think I've eliminated all possibilities except Windows 10. It was all working fine last time I used it.

Running Version 1909 Build 18363.10 16.

Has a recent update broken something?

submitted by /u/paul1m
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/paul1m, Sep 5, 2020

2. Write protected MicroSD card

After upgrading my 640 XL to Mobile 10 10586.218 from the previous Build, my MicroSD card seemed to become locked and/or write protected.

I noticed this, when apps weren't updating properly in the Windows store after the OS upgrade, backed up the files on my card to my computer, and have tried to format numerous times in my phone, only for it to time out, essentially not do anything.

I removed the card, placed it in a USB MicroSD card reader (came with my Lexar 128GB Card), and have tried using diskpart to remove the write protection, even though it states its successful, but when I try to delete the partition on the card, or try to
    format it, it gives a read only error.

Also tried using MicroSD to SD converter, with the write protect switch off.

Any thing can be read from the card, but nothing will write, any suggestions on formatting or deleting the partition on the MicroSD card?

Tony05091979, Sep 5, 2020
  3. Music Sync with microsd card

Hello -

I am having all kinds of problems using my microsd card to sync music. I have a Lumia 822. I can sync music to my phone without issue. But, if I try to sync music to my microsd card, I get duplicate listings of songs. And, every time I try to re-sync,
    the song is listed again. This doesn't happen for every song, but for many. I have tried two different microsd cards - one is 32g and the other 64. Same problem for both. Any suggestions?

TIA

howiewolverine, Sep 5, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Kari, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot write to microSD card - Similar Threads - Cannot write microSD

2. Format microSD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format microSD card: I tried to format a SanDisk microSD 64 GB card using File explorer without success.The card name could not be changed.The card could not be formatted regardless quick or full.All folders and files could be deleted except some files in 2 folders. However, about two dozen files...
  3. Format microSD card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format microSD card: I tried to format a SanDisk microSD 64 GB card using File explorer without success.The card name could not be changed.The card could not be formatted regardless quick or full.All folders and files could be deleted except some files in 2 folders. However, about two dozen files...
  4. how to format a MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to format a MicroSD card?: I bought a MicroSD card for my doorbell camera and the unit says the disc needs to be formatted. I knew how to do this 20 years ago, but not anymore :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-microsd-card/eea89181-bc42-4033-9b5e-bf45de1d459b
  5. how to format a MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to format a MicroSD card?: I bought a MicroSD card for my doorbell camera and the unit says the disc needs to be formatted. I knew how to do this 20 years ago, but not anymore :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-microsd-card/eea89181-bc42-4033-9b5e-bf45de1d459b
  6. how to format a MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. unable read microsd card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable read microsd card: when i insert the microsd card using the adapter i get the following error. I receive this on windows 10 as well as windows 11.The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 PDO name: \Device\000000ec was retried.Event ID : 153source: disk...
  8. unable read microsd card

unable read microsd card: when i insert the microsd card using the adapter i get the following error. I receive this on windows 10 as well as windows 11.The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 PDO name: \Device\000000ec was retried.Event ID : 153source: disk...
  9. Microsoft Lumia phone cannot recognize microSD card.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Lumia phone cannot recognize microSD card.: My Microsoft Windows phone doesn't seem to recognize my micro SD card. I cannot find it in any directory. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-lumia-phone-cannot-recognize-microsd/006487da-c01b-44a4-b811-964c2ab65d0c
  10. MicroSd Card - cannot format but can read

MicroSd Card - cannot format but can read: Strangest thing I have 128gb MicroSD card. Ive tried formatting in Windows 10, Disk Mgmt, Diskpart, AOMEI, EaseUS, SD Formatter, Android, old camera, Roku - no matter what I do it does not format It is currently exFat, I can still view the files. I have tried multiple...