Windows 10: Can't access brightness settings or connect to an external monitor

Discus and support Can't access brightness settings or connect to an external monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hoping someone can help here, I can't access my brightness settings or connect to an external monitor. This happened after my computer forcibly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Evalion, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Evalion Win User

Can't access brightness settings or connect to an external monitor

Hoping someone can help here, I can't access my brightness settings or connect to an external monitor. This happened after my computer forcibly restarted itself after displaying an error code that looked something like igkhm64, I googled the code when I could still remember it properly and it said something about a graphics driver. My device is a HP Pavilion laptop running windows 10.

I have so far:

- restarted my computer several times

- attempted to run "[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]DirectX Diagnostic Tool" don't know much about this but all the dialogue boxes said the drivers were fine[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]- looked to see if I'm missing any windows updates nope[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]- tested the monitor with another computer the monitor works[/COLOR]- messed around with my power settings to see if they still work somehow, but the buttons I normally use are just missing. The brightness didn't change when I checked the option to reduce the brightness in power saving mode, nothing in the action center, and fn+ keyboard shortcuts don't work.

- Looked up my display adaptor in Device Manager and found only an INTEL one present, even though some websites suggest there should be two?

- Clicked all the other drivers that seemed possibly related to the problem and they all just said "this device is working properly"

but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

:)

Evalion, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Vivian_S Win User

External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, Jan 26, 2021
  3. monitor brightness?

Hi Tom,

To change your Windows 10 monitor brightness, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo; then, search for Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • On the next screen you should see brightness slider at the bottom of the Control Panel window.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jan 26, 2021
  4. kjpsv Win User

Can't adjust brightness on external monitor

That setting does not control the brightness of an external monitor.

kjpsv, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't access brightness settings or connect to an external monitor - Similar Threads - Can't access brightness

2. Screen Brightness Changes when Connecting External Monitor or Changing Display Settings on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Brightness Changes when Connecting External Monitor or Changing Display Settings on...: I posted this a while ago but no one answered, hence I will post it again!Hello everyone,Video links of issue:https://drive.google.com/file/d/17FR4ZdeHKRxp5tFdpOVnSBTAMG3Shump/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4g9KInXzW8ToQ4NkG9h17yXsGytCXYt/view?usp=sharingI...
  3. Screen Brightness Changes when Connecting External Monitor or Changing Display Settings on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Brightness Changes when Connecting External Monitor or Changing Display Settings on...: I posted this a while ago but no one answered, hence I will post it again!Hello everyone,Video links of issue:https://drive.google.com/file/d/17FR4ZdeHKRxp5tFdpOVnSBTAMG3Shump/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4g9KInXzW8ToQ4NkG9h17yXsGytCXYt/view?usp=sharingI...
  4. External monitor is too bright pale

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor is too bright pale: I have a samsung S19A10N monitor conected with a VGA to HDMI converter in my laptop.The laptop screen is more brighter than the monitor and the night light feature works perfectly on it.Hours trying to know default brightness and contrast monitor default settings without...
  5. External monitor is too bright pale

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor is too bright pale: I have a samsung S19A10N monitor conected with a VGA to HDMI converter in my laptop.The laptop screen is more brighter than the monitor and the night light feature works perfectly on it.Hours trying to know default brightness and contrast monitor default settings without...
  6. External monitor is too bright pale

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. External Monitor too bright

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor too bright: Acer external monitor on Windows 10 32 bit. There is no physical button on the monitor offering brightness control. There is no way of getting into the User option which you can move to but not change And Windows does not offer a brightness control/slider Help!...
  8. Brightness setting for monitor

Brightness setting for monitor: Can a monitor's brightness be adjusted using the Control Panel, without pressing buttons on it? My main monitor's buttons for adjusting brightness do not work with Windows....
  9. I can't set monitor's brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't set monitor's brightness: My device is Lenovo ThinkPad 13. I can't change my monitor's brightness from the keyboard shortcut and from Settings. All drivers are up to date. Recently I had similar troubles. My keyboard didn't work 2 weeks ago but it was solved by updating the driver. Just yesterday my...
  10. Can't adjust brightness or connect to a monitor..

Can't adjust brightness or connect to a monitor..: Hey guys, just updated to windows ten with my Sony Vaio 14 touchscreen laptop. 2 things ive noticed so far that have been bugging me is 1. I cannot adjust my brightness with the f5 & f6 keys like i could before... nor do i know how to changed the brightness now at all. Also...