Windows 10: Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized

Discus and support Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, On start up i get a message that an unnamed file cannot be found. I cannot access my C: drive, where I also have Windows installed. Upon... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sultsu, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Sultsu Win User

Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized

Hi,

On start up i get a message that an unnamed file cannot be found. I cannot access my C: drive, where I also have Windows installed. Upon clicking the drive on Explorer I receive an "access denied" notification. I am unable to change the ownership of the file as well, as i also receive an "access denied" notification when i try to open the permissions editor via the security tab.

I haven't downloaded any third party apps lately which would explain the change in permissions. I installed a wifi/BT card a week and half ago but the pc has performed flawlessly in between this time. Most of the time I am using ethernet connection, although Windows doesn't always recognize the cable on start up nothing wrong with the cable, problem goes away by either restarting or disabling and enabling network adapter.

The issue is that I can't perform any activities as administrator. Windows doesn't let me download anything, set securities, manage computer or format drives. I can't reset the computer or uninstall Windows in any way. I can't access troubleshoot.

Windows can't access anything that is related to something located on the C: drive or requires admin permissions. If i try to run command console as administrator I get error 0x800704b3 saying that:

"Windows can't use target C:/Windows/system32/cmd.exe
    Check for spelling. Problem might be with network. You may perform a troubleshoot and try to solve network issue by selecting troubleshoot" Might not be correct translation, my Windows is not in English.

And if I click troubleshoot i get error 0x80070005 which says:

"Error during troubleshoot: Problem prevents starting the troubleshoot". It cannot identify the pathway either.

Please help, I have tried almost everything I can think of with no luck. All the actions i try, these two error codes pop up and prevent me from doing anything. Will this problem go away if I just yank the SSD out of the PC and replace it with a new one and install windows on that SSD, i.e. start over?

:)

Sultsu, Jan 30, 2021
  2. Tanyamca Win User

ADMIN RIGHTS / ACCESS TO C DRIVE

I was trying to uninstall a program and have managed to change all the permissions to my c drive and no longer have any access rights, no admin rights and I've completely messed this up .. help?

I'm using windows 10 and have completely locked myself out of everything.

I have tried going into computer management but I don't have access - tried changing the permissions but it's hopeless. I don't want to lose my work I've saved on the c:\ drive. I have my D drive still working but that's it.

Can anyone suggest anything in order to get this back?

Thanks

Tanyamca, Jan 30, 2021
  3. Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Kris Ver Win User

Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi,

It seems like you're using a standard user account. In order for you to access C: drive and perform major changes to the system like installing or uninstalling programs, you need to have administrator permissions.

In order for us to provide a proper resolution, we would like to ask for additional information . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you using a company PC that has a System Admin? If yes, we suggest that you contact them so that you can have your Admin rights again.
    • If you're using a personal PC, how many administrator accounts do you have?

We look forward to your response.

Kris Ver, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized - Similar Threads - Can't access Drive

2. can't access my drive, no admin permissions at all !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't access my drive, no admin permissions at all !: i was trying to delete a windows.old folder, didn't have any admin rights to it, tried to change that, and now i can't seem to do anything to see my drive or that folder again. my drive says NTFS under it, and every time i try to make myself an admin from its properties, it...
  3. can't access my drive, no admin permissions at all !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't access my drive, no admin permissions at all !: i was trying to delete a windows.old folder, didn't have any admin rights to it, tried to change that, and now i can't seem to do anything to see my drive or that folder again. my drive says NTFS under it, and every time i try to make myself an admin from its properties, it...
  4. Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive: Tried doing some troubleshoot but won't allow me due to all permissions gone. [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-add-or-edit-permission-access-on-c-drive/66b2e30e-55e4-46de-b837-7a87d32f41e9
  5. Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized: Hi, On start up i get a message that an unnamed file cannot be accessed. I cannot access my C: drive, where I also have Windows installed. Upon clicking the drive on Explorer I receive an "access denied" notification. I am unable to change the ownership of the file as...
  6. Admin user still getting permission prompts/Can't take ownership of C drive.

Admin user still getting permission prompts/Can't take ownership of C drive.: HP OMEN; Windows 10 I just got this laptop. Went through set up using my existing Microsoft account without issue. However, although my profile is by default an admin, I am unable to do much of anything--even creating a new folder--within the C drive without getting some...
  7. ADMIN RIGHTS / ACCESS TO C DRIVE

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ADMIN RIGHTS / ACCESS TO C DRIVE: I was trying to uninstall a program and have managed to change all the permissions to my c drive and no longer have any access rights, no admin rights and I've completely messed this up .. help? I'm using windows 10 and have completely locked myself out of everything. I...
  8. C drive Permissions

C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  9. C drive permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  10. lost admin access to c:\ drive

lost admin access to c:\ drive: Hi, recently i somehow accidentally deleted every group/user except for me on my c:\ drive. Now i cant open anything relating to the c:\ drive as administrator or reset my pc from control panel. Also i cannot open uca at all....