Windows 10: Can't access Desktop of Local Account

Discus and support Can't access Desktop of Local Account in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I log into my main account on Windows 10, I'm greeted with a black blank screen. It looks like the account's been reset. None of my programs are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ElliotMcManamy, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Can't access Desktop of Local Account

When I log into my main account on Windows 10, I'm greeted with a black blank screen. It looks like the account's been reset. None of my programs are on the task bar, and an error message appears. The message stays up for like a second, then it and the task bar disappear, only for them to reappear shortly after. This repeats indefinitely. The Error Message reads:

"Location is not available

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disk is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

The thing is, I know everything isn't completely lost because I can still access this seemingly nonexistent desktop from File Explorer in another one of my local accounts, and everything is still there. Never had a problem like this before. I guess can manage with what I've got, but I'd really like to get this fixed. Thanks.

:)

ElliotMcManamy, Feb 13, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Unable to access Local Disks (CCan't access Desktop of Local Account :), (DCan't access Desktop of Local Account :), and any programs inside those

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with privileges to access the local account, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

• Please be informed us the troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

This issue might be due to some error in system settings.

If you have not yet tried the below steps, I suggest you to perform and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to log out from the current user account, restart the computer and log-in with the administrator account and check if you are able to access the local drivers.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode, try to log-in with administrator account and check if the issue persists.

Try the above steps and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Can't access Desktop of Local Account

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Can't access Desktop of Local Account

1. Can't access Desktop of Local Account - Similar Threads - Can't access Desktop

2. I can't access my local account log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't access my local account log in: I recently updated my computer and when I went to log in again it was messed up. Usually it will prompt me for the computer password but now my only option is to login to a microsoft account. I have tried to log in multiple times using a microsoft account but it asks me to...
  3. I can't access my local account log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't access my local account log in: I recently updated my computer and when I went to log in again it was messed up. Usually it will prompt me for the computer password but now my only option is to login to a microsoft account. I have tried to log in multiple times using a microsoft account but it asks me to...
  4. Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.: I've noticed that whenever I try accessing a shared folder on my desktop from another device, I'm only able to successfully do so when I switch to a local account instead of using my microsoft account. I've already tried doing "whoami" in the cmd prompt and using that for the...
  5. Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.: I've noticed that whenever I try accessing a shared folder on my desktop from another device, I'm only able to successfully do so when I switch to a local account instead of using my microsoft account. I've already tried doing "whoami" in the cmd prompt and using that for the...
  6. can't access my local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't access my local user account: I'm not good with English so bear with me. So recently my antivirus that came with my laptop expired and a blue screen came up telling me to either renew it or okay, i clicked okay and then it took me back to my desktop andall my programs and files was lost, only a clean...
  7. Remote Desktop - Accessing Local Resources

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop - Accessing Local Resources: I would like to make local devices connected to my laptop (i.e. HP scanner) accessible in my Remote Desktop Connection. I am running WIN10 Pro. I cannot locate the Remote Desktop Connections dialogue box that would allow me to specify which Local Resources I want to...
  8. locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything: Someone fixed my laptop screen that was disconnected then tried to keep the laptop. When I finally got it back, they had changed the user accounts and password on windows. I was somehow able to log into an administrator account (with the password for my original user/admin...
  9. can't access desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't access desktop: My computer was working absolutely fine yesterday. Went to turn it on this morning, took ages to get past the log in screen, then it just changed to a black screen, with a basic taskbar down the bottom that was flashing. I tried a few things with no success, then did a...
  10. Local Account and Store Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Account and Store Access: I'm trying to use a local account and access my Store account (a Microsoft account) while signed into that local account. I presume I solved this with Windows 8/8.1 because that's what I have going. Can someone refresh my memory? I'm going to write the process down this time!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why isnt my desktop accsessable on my local account?