Windows 10: Can't access Downloads folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't access Downloads folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try to open my Downloads folder, I get the spinning circle and the message 'working on it'. The downloads folder never opens and when I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael Pirelli, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Can't access Downloads folder in Windows 10

When I try to open my Downloads folder, I get the spinning circle and the message 'working on it'. The downloads folder never opens and when I try to close it, it crashes Windows explorer, which then quickly reloads by itself. All other folders (documents, pictures, etc.) open normally. But here is the weird thing: the download folder in question opens and displays just fine over my network and its contents are visible and can be read/written to by all of my network computers. It is only the computer on which the downloads folder resides that is unable to open the folder. I have never encountered a problem like this. If there were file corruption issues or some other problem with the downloads folder, I wouldn't think that it would open over my network either. Thanks for the assistance!

:)

Michael Pirelli, Dec 7, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 7, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Dec 7, 2019
  4. Can't access Downloads folder in Windows 10

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

Can't access Downloads folder in Windows 10

1. Can't access Downloads folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't access Downloads

2. can't access folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't access folder.: i try to clean my defender history but i can't access this folderhttps://youtu.be/c74LYFHDvpw https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-folder/7beab0f0-317f-459b-810e-9fcff0d9fae8
  3. can't access folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't access folder.: i try to clean my defender history but i can't access this folderhttps://youtu.be/c74LYFHDvpw https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-folder/7beab0f0-317f-459b-810e-9fcff0d9fae8
  4. Can't access specific downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access specific downloads: I updated to windows 11. I downloaded two RAR files and I keep getting "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I'm only getting this for these files. I can access the rest of my downloads. I...
  5. I can't access my Download folder on my Windows laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't access my Download folder on my Windows laptop: I just started having trouble accessing my Downloads folder on a Windows laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-access-my-download-folder-on-my-windows/1d9e1026-25b5-438d-b1bc-db7bafac8a0c
  6. Quick Access Downloads Folder

Quick Access Downloads Folder: I've moved the location of my downloads folder to a different drive as it has more space. The windows default downloads location and stuff like the "This PC" link to Downloads all got updated correctly. However, the quick access Downloads link is broken and points to the now...
  7. Can't access FTP folder on Windows

Can't access FTP folder on Windows: I'm trying to transfer some files from my PC to my Amazon firestick. On the firestick I downloaded ES File Explorer File Manager and activated the remote access. When I copy the ftp link on my web browser I get the "your internet access is blocked" error and when trying to...
  8. can not access Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    can not access Downloads folder: Guys, I can not access Downloads folder,getting following error message )on the image below). How can I resolve this? 154199
  9. Windows 10 - Can't Download Pics To "Picture" Folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Can't Download Pics To "Picture" Folder: A yr. ago I obtained a new AT&T Android known as Alcatel. In order to get my phone pics to download to the "Picture" Folder on my Windows 10 laptop, I had to go into the phones settings and select PTP - picture transfer protocol vs. MTP - media transfer protocol. If MTP was...
  10. Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder

Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder: When I try to map a drive with Windows 10, Windows Explorer doesn't see any of the exported network folders. There is nothing under "Network". Another Windows 10 laptop I have can map these drives so I know the partitions are shared out properly shared and there are no...