Windows 10: Can't access external hard drive files. Please help.

Discus and support Can't access external hard drive files. Please help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So long story short, I managed to get an old 500 gb external hard drive to be recognised by windows, and it displays the drive. I have a steam game... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JayBFC99, Dec 31, 2019.

1. JayBFC99 Win User

Can't access external hard drive files. Please help.

So long story short, I managed to get an old 500 gb external hard drive to be recognised by windows, and it displays the drive. I have a steam game rainbow six siege moved onto there which works perfectly fine.

But when it comes to browsing the drive's files, as soon as I click on a file or folder without even opening it, it closes out of the file explorer and refreshes the pc screen reloads the task bar, opened windows etc.

I've got no idea what to do.

It is formatted as NTFS and I created the partition in disk management... but I just can't access the files without it refreshing my screen and closing the file explorer.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jay

:)

JayBFC99, Dec 31, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - DE

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Can't access external hard drive files. Please help.

Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Can't access external hard drive files. Please help.

1. Can't access external hard drive files. Please help. - Similar Threads - Can't access external

2. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  3. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  4. Can't access external hard drive in file manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access external hard drive in file manager: I recently switched from a Mac to Windows 10, had been using my external hard drive fine, but I can't open it in file manager since getting my new PC. It connects, and it shows up in disk manager, but none of the previous fixes on this forum have worked so that I can access...
  5. can't access external hard drive

can't access external hard drive: Hello, A few days ago I purchased a brand new Lenovo Ideapad laptop (Win ver 1909), and when I tried to transfer my files via my external WD hard drive, I could see the drive as a partition (don't remember how I found that) and I could hear it running, but it didn't show up...
  6. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  7. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  8. External hard drive migrated???? Or Not help please!!!!!

External hard drive migrated???? Or Not help please!!!!!: Dear Community please help, New to windows 10 and I have a major issue occurred and I'm not sure how or why it happened. My Seagate external Hard drive Migrated and Drive was reconfigured while no one was using it. Why and How did this happen? needless to say the drive was...
  9. Can't access external hard drive

Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...