Windows 10: Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

Discus and support Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by moneymaker5, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

Hello all.

I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite.

I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited storage.

Now, a common issue I have is, despite both machines recognising both drives (never plugged in at the same time as I only have 1 cable to connect), I can't seem to get on to view what stuff I have on. One of the 2 drives I stored some images on a while ago but I can't now get to look at them. I think it's a setting or something but have no clue as to what to change to gain access. When I look at the safely remove hardware control I see the drive, when it is connected, the lights flash blue and it seems to work (doing some sort of back up or something as it does something every 1 1/2 hours or so) so either machine recognises the drive when connected but I just don't see it on my computer or find a way to access.

Can someone help???

Thanks

J Morris.

:)

moneymaker5, Jan 16, 2019

2. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 16, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

1. Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook. - Similar Threads - Can't access external

2. how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop: 304-561-4654 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-my-external-hard-drive-on-my-lenovo/eb0902c8-39ef-4f7e-89d9-5cfece6bddc3
  3. how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop: 304-561-4654 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-my-external-hard-drive-on-my-lenovo/eb0902c8-39ef-4f7e-89d9-5cfece6bddc3
  4. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  5. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  6. can't access external hard drive

can't access external hard drive: Hello, A few days ago I purchased a brand new Lenovo Ideapad laptop (Win ver 1909), and when I tried to transfer my files via my external WD hard drive, I could see the drive as a partition (don't remember how I found that) and I could hear it running, but it didn't show up...
  7. Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive: Hi, So I just recently got a 5 TB external hard drive, and with the Mylio photo sharing app was able to sync all of my photos and videos together between the external hard drive, my Windows 10 laptop, and the phone itself. I have 2 issues. Firstly, if I am in the app...
  8. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive: Hi all, I have a 500gb canvio basic that I recently purchased. Yesterday, i was moving some data from my HP laptop & the battery died in the middle of transferring. At this point, i am unable to transfer data from the laptop to the hard drive (it disconnects itself) but I...
  9. Can't access external hard drive

Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win.10 cant access an external disk that works on other machines

2. windows cant access external hard drive

3. cant access external HDD

4. cant access seagate hard disk,
  5. cant acess hdd wsl