Windows 10: Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted

Discus and support Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there. I have an SSD drive that used to be my old laptop's main drive. It was encrypted using Win 8 bitlocker. I know the password. One day, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eidol0n, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Eidol0n Win User

Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted

Hi there.

I have an SSD drive that used to be my old laptop's main drive. It was encrypted using Win 8 bitlocker. I know the password.

One day, the laptop stopped turning on. The fans switched on and the lights were there, but booting did not take place.

I have a new laptop (Win 10 Pro) now and want to access the filed on the old SSD. I have connected it using a cable to the new laptop. I see the drive in the device manager. I also see it in windows explorer. However, I can't do anything with it. If I double click on it the windows explorer freezes. If I right click on it, the window also freezes. I have tried clicking "disable device" in device manager, it also causes it to freeze. If I unplug it, everything unfreezes.

I would welcome any tips for how to access files on the old SSD if that is still possible.

:)

Eidol0n, Dec 22, 2020

2. external drive and encryption?

This question is two-fold.

First I would like an external enclosure that is rugged and shock resistant (static electricity and the like, being winter and all) for a 3.5inch SATA drive.
    Barring that, an external drive with the above. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I was wondering, is there a tool to encrypt the entire hard drive, but that does NOT ask to format said encrypted disk? I tried TrueCrypt, and last time I did, it asked me to format the drive because it was not recognized. I know there are alternatives, but I forgot their names. Price is of no concern if it is able to do so. any suggestions? Does Windows not show "drive must be formatted" on TrueCrypt drives anymore?

Best way would be if I plug in the drive, it asks for password automatically or something...

speedy11131, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Marc Cai Win User
    Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted

External detected but can't access

This is usually a good troubleshooting option for retrieving data from external drives that are out of warranty.
    However, My Passport series are external drives incorporating a hardware encryption. Getting the drive out of the enclosure will make it impossible to access or use! That's why the best thing you can do is to try resolving the issue with the drive in the enclosure. Only if nothing works, the next best thing to do is contact a data recovery company or directly our tech support for further instructions.
    Otherwise, it is true! External drives without a hardware encryption can be easily accessed without the enclosure, just by using a SATA cable as @Aquinus suggested.
    Unfortunately, in your case this is not a good option, especially because it will void your warranty. Sorry. *Frown Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted :(

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted

1. Can't access external SSD drive which is encrypted - Similar Threads - Can't access external

2. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  3. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  4. Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD: Hi Support,Kindly assist with this urgent matter. I've encrypted my external hard disk of 1 TB a couple of days ago. I DO remember the pin I set yet it doesn't accept it. I've tried it a couple of times & tried all other possible password matches & options but to no avail....
  5. Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD: Hi Support,Kindly assist with this urgent matter. I've encrypted my external hard disk of 1 TB a couple of days ago. I DO remember the pin I set yet it doesn't accept it. I've tried it a couple of times & tried all other possible password matches & options but to no avail....
  6. can't encrypt the drive access is denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can't encrypt the drive access is denied: Hi, I have created a customized image for a Dell 5420 laptop everything has installed correctly was able to login with no issues. Run updates all is going well. The only issue I have is when I login as a regular user I can't get the C: drive to encrypt it gives me the error...
  7. can't encrypt the drive access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    can't encrypt the drive access is denied: Hi, I have created a customized image for a Dell 5420 laptop everything has installed correctly was able to login with no issues. Run updates all is going well. The only issue I have is when I login as a regular user I can't get the C: drive to encrypt it gives me the error...
  8. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  9. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...