Windows 10: Can’t access family account

Discus and support Can’t access family account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I tried to set up child accounts for my daughter but we are completely locked out. I just want to delete the child accounts now and start again but it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ManxSusie, Oct 24, 2020.

1. ManxSusie Win User

Can’t access family account

I tried to set up child accounts for my daughter but we are completely locked out. I just want to delete the child accounts now and start again but it only lets me remove, not delete them - how can I delete child accounts without the password to those accounts which is irretrievable?

:)

ManxSusie, Oct 24, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

What you describe should be impossible. To test this I just now created a child account on my PC and signing in to it tried to change it to either an admin account or a local account. Could not do that.

The only way your son can change his account to a local account and "remove" it from Family, or create a new account is to have access to an admin account on that same PC (your account), or alternatively access to your admin MS account's Family settings online. For that he needs both your MS account username and password. It means that if you protect your own personal admin account (MS account) with a strong password and especially the Two-Step Verification, he has no way to access that account and he should not be able / is not able to change your Family settings or his account status.

3. How to delete an adult account in the Family Settings.

Hi,

To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• As an adult in the family account, sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • Under Your family, click
      Remove
    • Click the child account you want to remove, and click Remove.
    • You will get an email confirmation once the child has been removed from the family.
    Note: If you removed a Child account, it will be tagged as an "Orphaned account" and you will need to attach another "Parent account".

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

Family restrictions on adult account

Hello Erik,

There are several reasons for this issue to happen. if you’re sure that your account should not be included in a family restriction, we suggest that you check the below articles:

These articles contain steps that you can perform to help you resolve your issue.

Keep us updated with the results.

Jelo Sen, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Can’t access family account - Similar Threads - Can’t access family

2. Can’t open bitlocker and can’t access Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t open bitlocker and can’t access Microsoft account: Hi,When I restarted by computer yesterday, the computer went to a blue screen and stated bitlocker needed to be unlocked for my computer. I don’t know why it suddenly required this. The screen said I need to access the Microsoft account for the computer to get a recovery...
  3. Can’t open bitlocker and can’t access Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t open bitlocker and can’t access Microsoft account: Hi,When I restarted by computer yesterday, the computer went to a blue screen and stated bitlocker needed to be unlocked for my computer. I don’t know why it suddenly required this. The screen said I need to access the Microsoft account for the computer to get a recovery...
  4. Can’t access Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can’t access Microsoft account: I am truing to help my elderly father access his Microsoft account after his computer was hacked. The computer has been cleaned and when he got it back from the store, he needes ti re-enter his Microsoft account email and password. We tried his password and it didnt work....
  5. Deceased Family Member Account access

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Deceased Family Member Account access: My dad passed away two years ago and my mom has been using his laptop, for two years without issue. Last week it started prompting her to enter a hello pin, which to our knowledge we don't have. The microsoft account is linked to my dad's email, which is no longer active....
  6. lost access to family member account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    lost access to family member account: setup family account using generated password pasted in. clipboard refreshed before password was stored in password manager or used for login. unable to reset password as unable to provide enough information because account has never been used no old passwords, use of...
  7. Family account access

Family account access: I get the following error when trying to add an account: "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date. " I added accounts for my family to PC & laptops, all can log in to their account, invitation was accepted...
  8. Family Account Application Access

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Family Account Application Access: I want to use a PC as a family PC and I want each family member to have acess to the same apps, even those outside of Microsoft Office. So far, only I as an administrator have access to all the apps, once a family members logs in, only very basic applications are displayed....
  9. Accessing a deceased family members account

Accessing a deceased family members account: My mother passed away almost three years ago and I have been using her old HP laptop. I have had no issues with it as we knew her pin to access the machine. I recently went back to college and have been using her laptop with no problems until recently when I did a system...
  10. Can’t access store and can’t create a new local account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t access store and can’t create a new local account: When I try to launch a game that I got on the Microsoft Store, the application will launch but then immediately crash. If I try to launch the game from the store itself, it prompts me to install the game. When I try to install the game, it just gives me error code 0x87AF000B....